Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Last edited by NYU℠; 8 months ago
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NYU2012)
I've looked at the league tables and the qs world rankings, and there seems to be a large difference in what the top law schools are. E.g. QMUL is ranked highly in the league tables but low in the qs world rankings. I was wondering, in order, roughly what the top 10 to 15 law schools are?
In no particular order, these are all very reputable Universities offering Law.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Durham
Nottingham
King's
Bristol
SOAS
Edinburgh
srascal8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
add Manchester to that list
Tsunami2011
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FDR)
In no particular order, these are all very reputable Universities offering Law.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Durham
Nottingham
King's
Bristol
SOAS
Edinburgh
Warwick over SOAS, Bristol and Edinburgh.
srascal8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...l-sciences/law

UK terms according to this table:

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. LSE
4. KCL
5. UCL
6. Warwick
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Bristol
10. QMUL
11. Queen's, Belfast
12. SOAS
13. Birmingham
14. Glasgow
15. Leeds
16. Nottingham
17. Strathclyde
Jaydiee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tsunami2011)
Warwick over SOAS, Bristol and Edinburgh.
He said in no particular order...
But warwick is a great uni. Surprised he didn't mention it.
michael321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've looked at the league tables and the qs world rankings, and there seems to be a large difference in what the top law schools are. E.g. QMUL is ranked highly in the league tables but low in the qs world rankings. I was wondering, in order, roughly what the top 10 to 15 law schools are?
That's probably because all league tables are absolute bull****. There is currently great difference of opinion on a) what the top law schools are and b) how far it makes a difference which university you go to. I would rank the top tier schools (for employers) as (in no particular order apart from Oxbridge first):

- Oxford
- Cambridge
- LSE
- UCL
- KCL
- Durham
- Nottingham
- Bristol
- Warwick
hannahsm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for a back up less academic uni, reading uni is growing very rapidly and you can bet it will be in the tops 10-15 soon. just a suggestion.
Sean9001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannahsm)
for a back up less academic uni, reading uni is growing very rapidly and you can bet it will be in the tops 10-15 soon. just a suggestion.
Reading shall never be more than sub-par.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends on what you mean by 'top'. In terms of the English universities targeted by firms, the following are the usual suspects:

Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
LSE
KCL
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick

At this point it becomes difficult to continue to list certain universities to the exclusion of others. There is a large class of universities which are good for law, such as Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham, QMUL, Newcastle, SOAS, York and so on, but these are not targeted as heavily as those I've listed above.
srascal8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Manchester was the most targeted university by the top 100 graduate employers last year, yes...above Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL, KCL etc. etc.
charlie9872
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sean9001)
Reading shall never be more than sub-par.
Thats one of the most ridiculous and elitist statements i've ever heard.
srascal8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by charlie9872)
Very true, some people forget about Reading's glory days, which I'm sure are close to returning. They were ranked 21st in 1997, 19th in '95, and yes, it was a while ago, but Reading is a Red-brick university, close to London, and has good rates of employment, without being highly academically elitist and being open for a range of applicants.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The QS table is based solely on citations of academic papers and the opinions of other academics worldwide. It therefore does not have metrics related to undergraduate life or teaching. Further, the methodology is most appropriate for global subjects such as science. For law, it is biased in favour of researchers working in international subjects. A Polish academic is much more likely to be aware of researchers working on the jurisprudence of the International Criminal Court than someone working on the Criminal Attempts Act.

(Original post by srascal8)
Manchester was the most targeted university by the top 100 graduate employers last year, yes...above Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL, KCL etc. etc.
Think what that statistic means. It is about the number of events at particular universities organised by leading employers. Most employers do not organise separate recruiting events for the 2nd or 3rd universities in a city. They simply invite along students from those universities. Manchester is home to two of the largest universities in the country plus Salford. Is it any wonder that a high proportion of employers organise events there? Manchester University's graduate recruiting fair has over 150 employers but it is open to students from any university.

If I can only afford to go to a few universities I am definitely going to show up at Manchester because there are over 75,000 university students in the city. I might think highly of Exeter students, but its a long way and there are only 15,000 of them.

In other words, the universities that come out best from this survey are the ones the employers who go to fewest events, go to. That is the cities likely to produce the best response for the time and money expended.

(Original post by charlie9872)
Looking at Sean9001's other postings, he has made a number of highly dubious statements about university and particularly law recruitment. He, like many TSR posters has very little breadth of view or sense of chronology. This year's applicants are 2016's league table stats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads