Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_lee)
    My Saxo (P reg) was £450 from my boyfriend's mate, so I was lucky with the price!!! He got it from auction; that may be a good place to go? Having said that, the car has had loads of things go wrong all at once Oh well, I still like it!!
    Yeh they are nice cars, but when I was looking for cars what you got in a corsa, compared to say a peugeot 106 or fiesta, for the same price was really rubbish. I suppose it's good that they retain their value but people only buy them because they look nice I'm sure of it!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever thought of the Ford ka? I got a 05 plate for £4999 from Ford and it's fun to drive, cheap to run and seems pretty reliable. And because it is relatively basic (no electric windows, no cd player etc) then nothing can actually go wrong with it! As long as you can do without your creature comforts and just need a car to get from A to B then thats all that matters. Also because its been around for years and years, the engine has almost been perfected and you won't be getting any teething problems with a lot of the other similar sized new cars out there.

ReputationRep:

Oh and someone said that no-one would reccomend a Saxo because it's French... that is a good point! When we bled the brakes the other day it was so confusing, as everything was the wrong way round!
    hehe that was me Ive only had one problem so far *touches wood* and it wasnt too expensive - £70 for a new exhaust. Your bound to have problems with what ever car you but though when they are somewhat old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    hehe that was me Ive only had one problem so far *touches wood* and it wasnt too expensive - £70 for a new exhaust. Your bound to have problems with what ever car you but though when they are somewhat old.
    What year is yours? Only £70!? I'm looking to spend at least treble that in order to get everything up to scratch! One little problem creates lots more!!! The car runs fine, but if I pay to get the little things sorted then it will be perfect!

ReputationRep:
    The only problem I've had with my Saxo is that the runner went on the drivers seat. Which caused a pretty big problem, because I was driving it when it went. I braked and went flying backwards [I'm 5ft2, so I have to sit quite close to the steering wheel or I can't reach the pedals]

It's P reg also and cost me £700. My uncle reccomended it to me when he worked in Peugeot, it was going to be sent to auction if no-one bought it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kobrakai)
    The only problem I've had with my Saxo is that the runner went on the drivers seat. Which caused a pretty big problem, because I was driving it when it went. I braked and went flying backwards [I'm 5ft2, so I have to sit quite close to the steering wheel or I can't reach the pedals]

It's P reg also and cost me £700. My uncle reccomended it to me when he worked in Peugeot, it was going to be sent to auction if no-one bought it.
    :eek: That's one of the problems with mine!!! Except it's a bolt that has come loose

ReputationRep:
    :eek: That's one of the problems with mine!!! Except it's a bolt that has come loose
    It was well scary when it went! I panicked. Was still learning at the time, so to break and go flying backwards was a definite shock. My dad had to take it to Citroen to get it replaced, which cost about £60 i think.

ReputationRep:
    £60 for a bolt! French cars are the kings of bad build quality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kobrakai)
    It was well scary when it went! I panicked. Was still learning at the time, so to break and go flying backwards was a definite shock. My dad had to take it to Citroen to get it replaced, which cost about £60 i think.
    £60!? :eek:

I think I'm going to go to the scrappy to look for one, plus a lot of other little things I need! There's a yard near me which only holds French cars, which will be a lot better as the Saxo's are made different to many others...everything seems to be the wrong way round!

ReputationRep:
    What year is yours? Only £70!? I'm looking to spend at least treble that in order to get everything up to scratch! One little problem creates lots more!!! The car runs fine, but if I pay to get the little things sorted then it will be perfect!
    '96 so N reg. Yeah it was £70 for two parts of the exhaust (one part was fine). You have to look around for repairs, i went in one shop and they wanted £70 for each part - £140 total :eek: - and i went nextdoor and they did both parts for £70 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    '96 so N reg. Yeah it was £70 for two parts of the exhaust (one part was fine). You have to look around for repairs, i went in one shop and they wanted £70 for each part - £140 total :eek: - and i went nextdoor and they did both parts for £70 :rolleyes:
    Cheeky buggers! :rolleyes: I'm lucky because a lot of the things I need can be gotten hold of at the scrapyard...one thing that is really annoying me is the little bit of plastic that keeps your indicator in place...well mine has come off so my indicator hangs out! It rattles and it really gets on your nerves! So need to hunt for that bit of plastic :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky buggers! :rolleyes: I'm lucky because a lot of the things I need can be gotten hold of at the scrapyard...one thing that is really annoying me is the little bit of plastic that keeps your indicator in place...well mine has come off so my indicator hangs out! It rattles and it really gets on your nerves! So need to hunt for that bit of plastic :p:
    The indicator above the front wheel? Thats happened on mine too but i cant be bothered looking for a part to fix it :rolleyes: Mines on the right side, what about yours? :p:

ReputationRep:
    No students should be taking their cars to dealers unless they are rich. Spend £1000 on a 6 year oldish car, for that you can buy somthing modern, safe with a few nice comforts and you also can avoid going to rip off expensive dealers.

As I keep saying many times of this forum buying a good reliable car is not about how much you pay but its all about doing your home work and not just buying a car because you like the colour and the price is right. My mate paid £250 is car last May and very little has gone wrong with it. A new car would have cost a lot more in maintenance alone.

Corsa diesels also have FIAT drive systems so the engine and gearbox is made by FIAT.

My dad his Punto for 4.5 years with no problems and 50,000 miles, the trick is we didn't use FIAT dealers :p:

ReputationRep:
    £60!? :eek:

I think I'm going to go to the scrappy to look for one, plus a lot of other little things I need! There's a yard near me which only holds French cars, which will be a lot better as the Saxo's are made different to many others...everything seems to be the wrong way round!
    Actually, I think it was £60 to have 2 new tyres put on it. Can't remember how much the seat repair was, it was a year ago!
    Haha, that does not sound like it's fun to drive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)

I know some will be in favour of the Punto, but everyone I know who has had one, has told me they will never ever buy a Fiat again.
    I have one and I very much doubt I will change it for anything else, my Punto is by far the nicest car I've driven (and Ive driven quite a few) and I havent had any problems with it. Not everyone will agree with me but thats their opinion.

A Ford Ka might be a good option to look at like someone suggested, I had one and I loved it, nice to drive, easy to park, not very spacious on the inside but great apart from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    Have you ever thought of the Ford ka? I got a 05 plate for £4999 from Ford and it's fun to drive, cheap to run and seems pretty reliable. And because it is relatively basic (no electric windows, no cd player etc) then nothing can actually go wrong with it! As long as you can do without your creature comforts and just need a car to get from A to B then thats all that matters. Also because its been around for years and years, the engine has almost been perfected and you won't be getting any teething problems with a lot of the other similar sized new cars out there.

My Ka is amazing, best car Iv ever had - easy to drive, cool, cheap

I've driven a Punto for a while, and a Corsa - if you dont like the Ka, my vote would be for the Corsa out of these two :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the Punto! I've just sold mine - a great little run around, very cheap to ensure and very economical! But, it does depend what kind of driving you will be doing - if its mostly urban driving, go for the Punto as its quick in the low gears. I don't know much about the Saxo, apart from they can be unreliable.

I've now got a VW Polo - has to be the best car ever! Yes, they are slightly more expensive, however, VWs hold their value really well, so that would be my recommendation - although that snot what you wanted to know! hehe

ReputationRep:
    The indicator above the front wheel? Thats happened on mine too but i cant be bothered looking for a part to fix it :rolleyes: Mines on the right side, what about yours? :p:
    Yep, exactly the same one!!! :p: Well I went to the scrapyard today for a new brake calliper (sp?) and asked if they had that bit of plastic aswel. He did, but when I asked how much he said £25 for the calliper and £5 for the plastic :eek: I took the calliper and left the plastic...I don't mean to sound stuck up or whatever but £5 for a silly bit of plastic, I don't think so! The only bloody reason he charges so much is because he's the only scrapyard around my area that only does French car parts. What a cheek! I'd rather my indicator be hanging out :p:

ReputationRep:
    You should have just said £25 for the two? He wouldn't want to lose the caliper sale for the sake of a piece of plastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    You should have just said £25 for the two? He wouldn't want to lose the caliper sale for the sake of a piece of plastic
    I did and he wasn't having any of it! It was a bit of plastic for goodness sake!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.