Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I would have taken it for a fiver tbh. The Citroen garage wanted a lot more than that - about £15 - 20 if i remember correctly!
    :eek: Really!? Oh my goodness, I have a car that is going to cost me stupid amounts of money for stupid little things Hrmm, might have to go back and get it for a fiver then!!!

ReputationRep:
    I had my lesson today in a corsa. The gear box was a bunch of toss, it would certainly put me off buying a corsa. My friends punto on the other hand is very good, i'd choose a punto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dupoynt)
    I had my lesson today in a corsa. The gear box was a bunch of toss, it would certainly put me off buying a corsa. My friends punto on the other hand is very good, i'd choose a punto.
    Based on one driving lesson?

The only problem I found with the Corsa C gearbox was sticking into reverse. But this is a common in most cars! And as for the Punto - I clarified what happened to my friends Sporting whilst in the automatic car wash!
    Guess you should have a look at that.

And why did Fiat bother to stick a 6-speed gearbox in a Punto Sporting? I guess to make it Sporty and follow suit of so many other genuine sport hatches / cars. The 6th gear in the Punto adds no further speed over the one in 5th. It was a complete waste of time and one that would only get the people with no knowledge in cars drooling over the fact it has 6 gears.

Out of the 3 I've only had the opportunity to drive the Saxo (VTS). Although I've ridden around in a Corsa enough to know theyre at least half-decent.

ReputationRep:
    VTS is different league. Even I respect that little crap-mobile.
    It's good for me though in different reasons. A VTS is only good because of its chassis which can handle the power through the front wheels extremely well. The cornering ability is very good as is the speed in acceleration.

Problem is, its hard to find one that's not been barry-boyed or completely raped.

(Original post by walshie)
    VTS is different league. Even I respect that little crap-mobile.
    It's good for me though in different reasons. A VTS is only good because of its chassis which can handle the power through the front wheels extremely well. The cornering ability is very good as is the speed in acceleration.

Problem is, its hard to find one that's not been barry-boyed or completely raped.
    The one I drove had knackered suspension. Especially a problem when driving downhill.

ReputationRep:
    You're correct in that 6th ratio is no different to 5th in the 5 speed box. This is why very few people use it as a modification. (Though a couple of the cento 1242s/turbos have it). Main reason for it is to knock off the 0-60 time, which it does do with the closer ratios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr4470)
    The one I drove had knackered suspension. Especially a problem when driving downhill.
    Much the same with most of them I suspect.
    Its a shame, but there will be some classics out there that haven't been raped and will be worth a lot of money. (A lot more than the average VTS).

The same identical problem lies with the Williams Clio & 1.9 205gti. Can't find one for love nor money that has been looked after properly.

Much the same with most of them I suspect.
    Its a shame, but there will be some classics out there that haven't been raped and will be worth a lot of money. (A lot more than the average VTS)
    Apparently it had been used by a lot of learners previously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    You're correct in that 6th ratio is no different to 5th in the 5 speed box. This is why very few people use it as a modification. (Though a couple of the cento 1242s/turbos have it). Main reason for it is to knock off the 0-60 time, which it does do with the closer ratios.
    Absolutely. Closer ratios mean better acceleration. Although the Punto Sporting at a staggering 11-12 secs 0-60mph is nothing to brag about!

They have increased the engine to a 1.4 from a 1.2, so I'm not sure how that one fares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr4470)
    Apparently it had been used by a lot of learners previously.
    Learners??? on a VTS - that would of been fun to watch in wet conditions. Central reservation here I come

Learners??? on a VTS - that would of been fun to watch in wet conditions. Central reservation here I come
    I know :rolleyes:, he said the premium was doubled compared with the standard 1.1 Saxo.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Closer ratios mean better acceleration. Although the Punto Sporting at a staggering 11-12 secs 0-60mph is nothing to brag about!

They have increased the engine to a 1.4 from a 1.2, so I'm not sure how that one fares.
    Well it's a hatchback, the 1400 is about 95bhp out of memory and not bad but the 1242 16v is a great performer considering in 1995 or so it kicked out 85bhp. For a basic 1.2 16v 10.6 seconds (book value IIRC) isn't too shabby. Expect the 1400 to be about 10. Still a superfire engine. The new Grande Punto has a 1.4 8v instead for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    My Corsa SXi beat my mates Punto Sporting and that was a 75bhp 1.2litre. I always managed to beat him every time. That was probably because there bits falling off the Punto's engine as were doing so
    That apparently went 0-60 is 12 secs dead.

ReputationRep:
    Well as you should be aware, beating a car in anyway means nothing due to the numerous factors involved, such as driver, passengers, tyres/wheels, condition of car/servicing, modifications....

etc. etc.

And if you reckon that things were falling off his engine as it went, there's the reasoning. The fact that the fire/superfire engine family is perhaps one of the best small engine ranges ever is neither here nor there.

ReputationRep:
    Based on one driving lesson?
    yes, it was absolutly ridiculous, a good car but seriously let down by a toss gearbox.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.