The Student Room Group

Studying Psychology with no experience.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jabberwox
So what? That doesn't give you the right to basically call them stupid people. Not everyone can be excellent at maths. They were obviously good enough to get onto their university course in the first place.

Sorry but GCSE maths is astonishingly simple. If someone cannot get a C in GCSE maths, something is very, very wrong.
Original post by EffieFlowers
Can someone please tell me what formula this is?

Looks like the formula for a paired t-test.

Original post by Jabberwox
Thank god.

No need to thank me.
Original post by Kerny
Sorry but GCSE maths is astonishingly simple. If someone cannot get a C in GCSE maths, something is very, very wrong.

I just scraped a C at GCSE Maths. Is something seriously wrong with me, then?

Some people genuinely have a struggle with maths (I think it's called dycalculia or something - not sure if that's the spelling ha, but it's like dyslexia) yet are brilliant at other things like English, art, etc. It annoys me when people are labelled 'stupid' just because they don't understand something.
Reply 43
I'm just going to ignore that insult. I Managed to get into Bournemouth this year with my D in mathematics. I completely agree with Jabberwox. Some people do struggle with mathematics and excel in other subjects. I'm not afraid to admit I have difficulty with maths and hence do not care what some people may think. So I might be a 'derp'. So what. At least I'm not an arrogant, negative person.
Original post by Liam2987
I'm just going to ignore that insult. I Managed to get into Bournemouth this year with my D in mathematics. I completely agree with Jabberwox. Some people do struggle with mathematics and excel in other subjects. I'm not afraid to admit I have difficulty with maths and hence do not care what some people may think. So I might be a 'derp'. So what. At least I'm not an arrogant, negative person.

I agree. What I find most annoying is how these people are so smug about insulting people. The best way to bruise their ego is to inform them that there are many, many people in the world much cleverer than them :smile:
Reply 45
Unfortunately their ego's won't be bruised. Arrogant people never get bruised. But- Like I said- We're both not afraid to admit we struggle with mathematics, and we're intelligent enough to do so. Which means we're also intelligent enough to learn the maths involved with psychology. And to boot- We're both positive people with high aspirations for the future and we won't let our difficulties stand in the way of that :smile:
I wish you all the best for Oxford Brookes Jabberwox. It's the only joint psychology course I applied for. I'm hoping I get an offer as its one of my top choices. :smile:
Reply 46
Yeah I was surprised at the maths side too. I guess when you think 'psychology' you automatically assume its all about the mind and behavior etc. Not mathematical equations and such. I totally agree about the books. At least if I get an interview I can begin to look like I know what I'm talking about. :tongue:
Unfortunately their ego's won't be bruised. Arrogant people never get bruised. But- Like I said- We're both not afraid to admit we struggle with mathematics, and we're intelligent enough to do so. Which means we're also intelligent enough to learn the maths involved with psychology. And to boot- We're both positive people with high aspirations for the future and we won't let our difficulties stand in the way of that :smile:
I wish you all the best for Oxford Brookes Jabberwox. It's the only joint psychology course I applied for. I'm hoping I get an offer as its one of my top choices. :smile:

Awww why thank you :tongue: good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 48
Do any they all link.
Do the psychology degrees require a good grasp of maths? I'm okay at it, but I struggle at the complicated stuff. Most of the places I have looked at want C or above.

You do not. Maths are computerised so you just need to use programs like SPSS.
Riiight.... *Backs away slowly*

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I need to rethink this!

You do NOT need to memorise math formulas or stuff.
Original post by lozzyhickers
It actually has alot to do with psychology. For any experiment you do, you'll have to analyse your data. Without this formula, you won't know if your results mean anything significant.

Obviously you'll learn how to calculate it in lectures, but depending on the uni, lecturers might not give much support. We get taught the main parts, otherwise we need to go and find out for ourselves. But if you're doing a BPS accreddited course (which Oxford Brookes is) then you'll have to do the same module as me.

SPSS does it. You do not need to memorise formulas. :wink:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
SPSS?

We had to do it by hand and with software during my undergrad.

Bad times :tongue: You must be quite old then lol SPPSS has been around for a while. :wink:
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Bad times :tongue: You must be quite old then lol SPPSS has been around for a while. :wink:

Wut. Read again son. I said we did both. And yes, that included memorising the formulas and using software like SPSS.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Wut. Read again son. I said we did both. And yes, that included memorising the formulas and using software like SPSS.

Apologies, psychology fellow. :tongue:
Reply 55
Unfortunately, it changes quite alot at degree level. You need a good grasp of Maths, or at least be prepared to work even harder, as it can be ver complicated, and is quite a large part of the course. For example, i'm only in my 10th week of 1st year, and we're doing this:

Yes we looked at formulas like this in my first year but we never actually had to use them as SPSS does it all for you. We had lectures on them so that if you understood the maths behind the stats it did make it easier to know why certain things are done but even my lecturer admitted if it all went over your head that's fine - they gave us a really good guide to SPSS which does everything you need it to.

The only maths I have really used is what a median/mode/mean are and how to calculate them.
Original post by Boo_x
Yes we looked at formulas like this in my first year but we never actually had to use them as SPSS does it all for you. We had lectures on them so that if you understood the maths behind the stats it did make it easier to know why certain things are done but even my lecturer admitted if it all went over your head that's fine - they gave us a really good guide to SPSS which does everything you need it to.

The only maths I have really used is what a median/mode/mean are and how to calculate them.

I guess it depends alot on the uni, as we need to memorise it, as well as being able to do it all by hand. We don't rely on SPSS much,as it can make mistakes.
Reply 57
I guess it depends alot on the uni, as we need to memorise it, as well as being able to do it all by hand. We don't rely on SPSS much,as it can make mistakes.

Woah really? I never realised people still do this by hand, as you can just as easily make mistakes that way.

OP I'd look into applying to unis that mainly use SPSS then and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 58
Too late. My one and only psychology joint application is off. Its down to the admissions people now. Thanks for all the advice. Will update you on whether my seeds have been fruitful. Stay Tuned Peeps! x
Original post by Boo_x
Woah really? I never realised people still do this by hand, as you can just as easily make mistakes that way.

OP I'd look into applying to unis that mainly use SPSS then and you'll be fine :smile:

Those ones probably wouldn't be accreddited though. All uni require you to understand it and calculate at least a bit by hand. No SPSS in the exams!

Too late. My one and only psychology joint application is off. Its down to the admissions people now. Thanks for all the advice. Will update you on whether my seeds have been fruitful. Stay Tuned Peeps! x

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest