FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am just wondering, why exactly do people think Royal Holloway is not considered on the same level as UCL or King's, and what do you think the University could/should do to be considered on the same level?

This isn't an anti Royal Holloway thread at all - as an offer holder from Holloway, I think that RHUL has some fantastic academics (at least in the department I have an offer from - economics), according to Unistats offers strong graduate prospects, and then of course RHUL has the founders building, and the location is perfect - far away enough from London not to have to deal with the high prices, but near enough to be able to visit frequently.
LizB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FDR)
I am just wondering, why exactly do people think Royal Holloway is not considered on the same level as UCL or King's, and what do you think the University could/should do to be considered on the same level?

This isn't an anti Royal Holloway thread at all - as an offer holder from Holloway, I think that RHUL has some fantastic academics (at least in the department I have an offer from - economics), according to Unistats offers strong graduate prospects, and then of course RHUL has the founders building, and the location is perfect - far away enough from London not to have to deal with the high prices, but near enough to be able to visit frequently.
The prices are stil quite high...

RoHo lacks two things that would boost it's standing: a medical school and a law department.

In addition to this it simply isn't that well known and this means it can't attract so many students and grade requirements are all based on demand. Grade requirements in peoples minds often rank a uni, so without demand to raise those higher then in peoples minds RoHo won't really improve. There are certainly departments that excel just as there are those that don't so much. It's a mixed bag as far as a Uni goes and it suffers sometimes in comparisons with the big UoL colleges because it's a bit of an odd one out in some respects.
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by LizB)
The prices are stil quite high...

RoHo lacks two things that would boost it's standing: a medical school and a law department.

In addition to this it simply isn't that well known and this means it can't attract so many students and grade requirements are all based on demand. Grade requirements in peoples minds often rank a uni, so without demand to raise those higher then in peoples minds RoHo won't really improve. There are certainly departments that excel just as there are those that don't so much. It's a mixed bag as far as a Uni goes and it suffers sometimes in comparisons with the big UoL colleges because it's a bit of an odd one out in some respects.
I thought RHUL was merging with St George's Medical School?

I agree with you about the grade requirements - A lot of my friends who are applying this year simply perceive that one university that has higher requirements is better than another with lower requirements, even if the courses are ranked around the same - it seems that if you make something harder for people to get, they want it more! I think that RHUL should be looking to make it's courses a bit harder to get into - I take little notice of league tables personally, and applied for economics at RHUL because I liked the location, building, and the lecturers really are world class, and of course was thrilled when the entry requirements were only ABB (compared to A*AA and AAA at the other unis I've applied to) - perhaps the university should raise requirements for the most competitive courses.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FDR)
The plans were floating around a year or so ago but it rapidly fell through.
LizB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FDR)

I agree with you about the grade requirements - A lot of my friends who are applying this year simply perceive that one university that has higher requirements is better than another with lower requirements, even if the courses are ranked around the same - it seems that if you make something harder for people to get, they want it more! I think that RHUL should be looking to make it's courses a bit harder to get into - I take little notice of league tables personally, and applied for economics at RHUL because I liked the location, building, and the lecturers really are world class, and of course was thrilled when the entry requirements were only ABB (compared to A*AA and AAA at the other unis I've applied to) - perhaps the university should raise requirements for the most competitive courses.
St George's decided at the last minute not to go through with it. I think they were worried about losing thir own identity. Also Roho's name would get stupidly long. Our official name is Royal Holloway and Bedford New college, University of London. AddSt George's to that...

We just aren't well known enough so there isn't the demand there to raise entry requirements. Fact is we are often an insuance Uni for those applying to UCL, LSE, Oxbridge (including in my case actually).
seblebanon
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Royal Holloway has a well-established and good reputation. It is one of the oldest universities in the country, and the third college to join the University of London in 1900. Like most universities it has various departmental strengths. Based on international rankings that don't bias the less science and engineering focused universities (Times Higher Education), Royal Holloway ranks is currently ranked 17th in the UK, 36th in Europe, and 118th in the world. It has a world-class campus and a world-class library currently in construction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise