The Student Room Group

Can't be bothered with life anymore

Please keep anon for obvious reasons.

Now this isn't a cry for help or a suicidal post, please just hear me out. I promise this isn't a troll.

Basically, i'm 23, just received the perfect job that I have always wanted, and am moving to a new city to start a new life. I should be pretty excited?

However, I really do not see the point in anything I do. I don't take pleasure in anything, I always see the negative side of everything. Even the thought of new life and new job don't excite me. I also think that the way I look constantly brings me down, sometimes I cant bear to even look in the mirror.

I am on anti-depressants and have been tested for bi-polar. Sometimes I can be happy and positive, but alot of my time is spent thinking of all the negative things in my life. Previous past experiences (of lost love etc) constantly plays over and over in my mind, which just upsets me further. I want to move on, but I just cant let go of the past.

Any advice on what I should do? My life seems so mundane and miserable, and I do not want to live like this anymore!

Scroll to see replies

:hugs:

not really in a position to give you advice, but as your moving to a new city, that may be a good time to try and let go of the past, you seem quite motivated to try change things, so maybe a new enviroment will be just enough of a change to help you do it.
If you need to talk to someone then you can always PM me!
Reply 3
You got a new job which you like. You'll get money :biggrin: spend it on somethings which will make you happy :biggrin:
Has your doctor suggested cognitive behavioural therapy? That might help you to understand your thoughts a bit better and stop going round in circles with the thinking of lost loves, etc :yes:
Yes. You feel empty. You need God in your life to shed some light and blessings. I would advise you to go to Church and confess to a spiritual priest. Tell him those things.. God will bring happiness in your life.

Add colour to your life, perhaps you can start looking for that person in your lovelife to spend some time together aswell. It is a good time in your life.

http://www.healthaid.co.uk/shopexd.aspx?id=707
http://www.healthaid.co.uk/shopexd.aspx?id=708

Omega 3 natural fish oils are scientifically proven to support mental health. And another thing don't take st johns wort if bipolar. that's mostly for mild depression.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Now this isn't a cry for help or a suicidal post, please just hear me out. I promise this isn't a troll.

Basically, i'm 23, just received the perfect job that I have always wanted, and am moving to a new city to start a new life. I should be pretty excited?

However, I really do not see the point in anything I do. I don't take pleasure in anything, I always see the negative side of everything. Even the thought of new life and new job don't excite me. I also think that the way I look constantly brings me down, sometimes I cant bear to even look in the mirror.

I am on anti-depressants and have been tested for bi-polar. Sometimes I can be happy and positive, but alot of my time is spent thinking of all the negative things in my life. Previous past experiences (of lost love etc) constantly plays over and over in my mind, which just upsets me further. I want to move on, but I just cant let go of the past.

Any advice on what I should do? My life seems so mundane and miserable, and I do not want to live like this anymore!

This is the story of my life, do you mind me asking what your job is in? I think you porb need counselling as anythign we say is unlikely to really help
Reply 7
Take this chance to have a fresh start. Don't let the regrets of the past bring you down since then they have no use or benefit, rather be productive and tell yourself you won't make these mistakes again. You need to see yourself in a new light in order to move on.

Of course, its much easier saying it then doing it.

Have you had any kind of therapy? You sound like you could benefit from talking over your feelings and figuring out *why* you feel this way. Also, if your antidepressants don't seem to be effective, you could consider going back to the doctor, and maybe changing to a different drug - not everything works for everyone. :redface: How long have you had your current prescription?
Original post by lionelmessi2
Yes. You feel empty. You need God in your life to shed some light and blessings. I would advise you to go to Church and confess to a spiritual priest. Tell him those things.. God will bring happiness in your life.

Add colour to your life, perhaps you can start looking for that person in your lovelife to spend some time together aswell. It is a good time in your life.

http://www.healthaid.co.uk/shopexd.aspx?id=707
http://www.healthaid.co.uk/shopexd.aspx?id=708

Omega 3 natural fish oils are scientifically proven to support mental health.

if you told the priest something really messed up that you feel guilty about since you were 14, would he tell others?
Original post by lionelmessi2

Omega 3 natural fish oils are scientifically proven to support mental health.

"Contrary to what the pill-peddlers would tell you, the evidence for omega 3 pills being beneficial in children is really rather thin: only a handful of small trials have been published in proper journals, and at last count 3 were positive, 2 were negative, and none were in mainstream children. All these “studies” you keep hearing about in the media are little more than cheap promos for the pill pushers, with no control group, and crippled by inadequate research methods."

Bad Science, Dr. Ben Goldacre, 9/9/2006
http://www.badscience.net/2006/09/the-trial-that-ate-itself/

This is from a psychiatrist turned epidemiologist. Don't waste your money on Omega-3 supplements, OP.
(edited 12 years ago)
if you told the priest something really messed up that you feel guilty about since you were 14, would he tell others?

Catholic priests, at least, are bound by the confessional. They cannot discuss what you say with anyone else, even their seniors or the police :nah:
watch this, will give you meaning and reason =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCZyvczZaM&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Well my opinion as a Christian you will find peace and relax in the Church. Just walk in there , light a candle , say a prayer, and you will come out with reason and more life. Confession is a mystery that frees the soul by the grace of Holy Spirit.

According to Dr Christopher , bipolar can be healed/improved within 6 weeks, herbally :wink:

http://www.herballegacy.com/Knuteson_Experience.html
a similar bipolar case treated successfully.
http://www.herballegacy.com

It would also be wise to ask your doctor aswell, to see if you can take that alongside current medication , or if there any side-effects.

www.drchristophersherbshop.com

what makes you suicidal is perhaps a side-effect of your current medication, and it would be wise to let your doctor know. my advice is to relax and do something that you like, you will be fine.

You can also call the school of natural healing and get some professional advice: http://www.snh.cc/Contact_Us.html

a community forum discussion about bipolar, and how it can be healed naturally.

http://snh.cc/community/index.php?topic=263.0

trust me, you will be fine , its only human! and you are not alone :wink: life will get better. The best you can do is not to let these thoughts affect you.
(edited 12 years ago)

of course not. you are not confessing to the priest at the time, but to God.
It is one of the Holy Sacraments of the Church.
(edited 12 years ago)

:console:

Don't worry, I will not judge you, for I know exactly what you are going through. PM me if you want. I feel for you.

The bits I highlighted in bold resonate so much with me. To me the thought of having a fantastic future doesn't exite me anymore. I guess at first I am quite cynical, sceptical, wary, suspicious and untrusting but my feelings are now something else, they have become much worse.

Life for me is so unbearable, that for me I don't see the point in living anymore and I don't think that I am cut out for life. I don't think I was made for it.

Also like you past experiences never get out of my head, and no matter how much I try to get away from the past, it is like a curse that catches up with me.

I would suggest going to the doctor and asking to be referred to have CBT, I think that would help you very much. That's what I've done now all I can do is wait.

:hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Has your doctor suggested cognitive behavioural therapy? That might help you to understand your thoughts a bit better and stop going round in circles with the thinking of lost loves, etc :yes:

:yep: I know what you mean. I have done research and it's said to be effective. I have even gone to the doctor to be asked to be referred for CBT. She said waiting list is long but she would put me down as urgent. Don't want to derail the thread but how long does one have to wait to see a CBT therapist?

Also have you had it? What is it like?
Reply 16
Come on new city new job... If your feeling maybe "bored" of life then this massive change will be exactly what you need to find it exciting again?
x

Do these two things and i guarantee success;

1) Take up competitive sport and look to become captain in the near future
2) Watch Dexter Season 1 Episode 1

Trust me on this yeah...

Glenn "Lights Out" Baird
Original post by Dee Leigh
:yep: I know what you mean. I have done research and it's said to be effective. I have even gone to the doctor to be asked to be referred for CBT. She said waiting list is long but she would put me down as urgent. Don't want to derail the thread but how long does one have to wait to see a CBT therapist?

Also have you had it? What is it like?

I've no idea. I was given one as a matter of urgency through my Early Intervention Service (they have their own therapists), so I only had a 2 week wait, and they were apologising for keeping me so long!

I had it for 9 months. It's really good. Very hard work and quite unpleasant sometimes but well worth it, if you can use the techniques :smile:
OP , i really hope you are well.
pls have a look at this and seek professional help...

http://www.herballegacy.com/Knuteson_Experience.html
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest