Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to many companies for an internship. However, so far the furthest I have got is doing the online test, and then I fail (without knowing my score).

Like many others on here I am sure, I am worried that I won't find an internship and I will have to spend a year doing nothing (I don't want to apply for an average job doing shelf filling, it should be relevant to what I am studying - IT), or I will have to jump to my final year. This will be my first job and I need a job to afford to run a car. Buying a car isn't a problem, petrol usually is.

So the question is, does anyone know of any good/proven paid and unpaid IT training programmes within London? I have heard of Aimacademy and also Just IT. I've also noticed a lot of these programs are for graduates and not undergraduates, so I feel as if IT undergraduates are left in the dark somewhat. Has anyone got any feedback on these programs? Or any other IT-related ideas of legally making money? I would like to have my own portfolio and do work for clients (graphics, logos, whatever, but keep the work small - not large websites), as I do have a lot of free time due to my coursework being done ASAP, but I can't do this either as my skillset is still developing and has a long way to go.

So IT undergraduates, what will you do if you cannot find a work placement? It really worries me. All these skills and yet it doesn't make things easier. I should be a freelancer...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm assuming you mean for an intercalated year in industry in the middle of your degree, rather than over the summer? Either way though, if you've not managed to get a placement through a big firm with a specific internship program, you could always try a smaller, local firm. There are *loads* of small IT businesses (hopefully your university careers service could put you in touch with some - failing that, try the Yellow Pages!) so it'd definitely be worth approaching a few with a CV. Alternatively, since it's IT, you could try talking to other businesses which use IT and, therefore, need IT support. Schools and colleges, for example, are likely to have a small team of IT support people - you could try approaching your old school/college and see if they might be able to help you out.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Jenn xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.