The Student Room Group

Dog in bed yay or nay?

This is something me and my partner argue over. Should the dog be allowed in the bed? What is your view on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd kick one of them out....... preferably the dog
Reply 2
I wonder why this is in the romantic relationship thread. You're not thinking about getting with the dog are you OP?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
This is something me and my partner argue over. Should the dog be allowed in the bed? What is your view on this?
No, the dog definitely belongs out of the bed. Beds are for people.
That's disgusting! I would never let a dog in the bed, not only because I don't like them, but they smell and slobber on things and carry parasites.

I once went ballistic at my ex for letting the dog on the bed while I was sleeping, and he didn't understand. :facepalm:
Reply 5
Excessive dog lovers annoy the **** out of me anyway.

Hence I would never be in a relationship with one.

Hence I never forsee myself having this problem :closedeyes:
Reply 6
Tbh I would really struggle to live with someone who had a dog, and it wouldn't be coming anywhere near the bedroom, let alone the bed.
Reply 7
You allow a dog in your bed? How disgusting...stop it!
Reply 8
Pets belong on the bed. My family have always had the dogs on the beds and I have 3 cats I encourage to come up on the bed. I would not be impressed if my partner kicked them off.
Reply 9
Original post by Bandelera
You allow a dog in your bed? How disgusting...stop it!

No I do not, I hate the idea of it but my partner loves the dog and prior to me moving in, regularly had the dog in the bed.

Now I am here my partner knows I do not share the love of having the dog on the bed. It has caused a few silly arguments though. We have kind of compromised that the dog cannot sleep on the bed, he gets locked out the room at night. But my partner still lets the dog in before we sleep for a quick 'hello' almost.

Really annoys me though, especially if I have just cleaned the sheets or something.
We don't allow the dog to sleep on the bed no. She sleeps in the living room.
Reply 11
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
We don't allow the dog to sleep on the bed no. She sleeps in the living room.

I quite agree with this. Before I moved in with my partner, my family dog wasnt allowed upstairs, let alone in people's BEDS. Therefore it totally disgusts me.
No I do not, I hate the idea of it but my partner loves the dog and prior to me moving in, regularly had the dog in the bed.

Now I am here my partner knows I do not share the love of having the dog on the bed. It has caused a few silly arguments though. We have kind of compromised that the dog cannot sleep on the bed, he gets locked out the room at night. But my partner still lets the dog in before we sleep for a quick 'hello' almost.

Really annoys me though, especially if I have just cleaned the sheets or something.

I so much can understand you.

As it seems most here are on your 'side' but I doubt that helps you with your bf. Dogs don't belong in beds, they just don't, so you are devinitely not unreasonable wanting it out of there.
Reply 13
Original post by AnonymusSister
I so much can understand you.

As it seems most here are on your 'side' but I doubt that helps you with your bf. Dogs don't belong in beds, they just don't, so you are devinitely not unreasonable wanting it out of there.

Ahhh good. I just need to vent really. Especially when he wants the dog under the covers. Yuck! My partner isn't an unhygenic/disgusting person, but I just find this so unhygenic and disgusting. I understand he's just been brought up to think this is okay and normal whereas I have been brought up to think it's utterly gross (like the majority of us).

I also understand it must be hard for him to have me move in and say HEY you can't have the dog in the bed now when its something he's been used to or whatever but surely its better to have me to share the bed with, and he can hug the dog on the floor/sofa? No biggie..
Reply 14
I personally wouldn't sleep with the dog in the bed, it is so unhygenic and I can just imagine how bad my skin would be from sleeping with a dog.
I really don't see the problem. I've never caught any diseases from having my dog on my bed.
Reply 16
Original post by DizzyWeasel
I really don't see the problem. I've never caught any diseases from having my dog on my bed.

Don't you find it unhygenic? Dog goes outside (they don't wear shoes). possibly rolls in his/other dogs own wee/poop. Sniffs other dogs genitals. When they go for a pee/poo, small particles may remain on them. Muddy paws. Generally smelly. HAIRY.

Then hops into my clean, freshly made bed. Slobbery mouth.

WHY would you want that in your bed? I'm not a dog hater, I like taking the dog for a walk, petting the dog (downstairs). But the bed is a clean place. Its saved for sleeping and having sex with my partner, not for muddy paws and the lingering smell of DOG. Urgh.
Reply 17

His house, his dog. You knew this when you moved in, you need to get on with it, the dog was there first.
Reply 18
Original post by sheepy18
His house, his dog. You knew this when you moved in, you need to get on with it, the dog was there first.

I'm his girlfriend, its now our house, our room. It's a small compromise he's had to make. I've had to make a lot of bigger compromises in order to move in with him, for which I know he is grateful for :wink: I'm equally greatful his mongrel isn't sleeping in our bed at night.

I'm sure he can continue his friendship with the dog on the floor or whatevz. Beds are for lovers not for dogs. I mean, seriously?! Dirty.
Reply 19
I showed my boyfriend this topic and we started arguing haha!
He has a huge, long haired dog, that I'm alergic to, but my boyfriend still insists with it sleeping on the bed! It also takes up 3/4's of a double bed and I basically get pushed off it.

I don't think any pet should sleep on the bed, they should have their own bed or something in the bedroom they can sleep on.
Whenever I stay in my boyfriend's and the dog tries to climb on the bed, I push it off. It soon gets the message.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending