The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

When does Aberdeen start making decisions?

Hey, everyone, just wanted to know when Aberdeen actually start giving out offers/ rejections? They said on their acknowledgment letter that they don't look at applications until the 15th of Jan deadline, is this true even for international students?

It's my back- up choice, and I've got offers from my first two but I really want one from Aberdeen for some reason, just to know that I have a safety net! :tongue:

EDIT: I got an offer now guys, thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a friend who got an offer from Aberdeen last year, and i think she got it late January/early February, though i'm not sure. It may depend on whether your course requires an interview, or is high demand, in which case they may wait until after the January deadline.
I've applied for divinity, which is a low demand course and doesn't require interview, but i haven't heard anything either, so don't worry.
Just hang on :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
last year i didn't get a conditional offer till march but some friends from school got an unconditional offer before christmas. if you more than meet the entry requirements they will probally give you an unconditional offer pretty quickly
Reply 3
Original post by jhuntley93
last year i didn't get a conditional offer till march but some friends from school got an unconditional offer before christmas. if you more than meet the entry requirements they will probally give you an unconditional offer pretty quickly

They can't give me unconditional because I'm doing the IB, and I'm an international student. But yes, my predicted grades are WAY above the entry requirements, and I haven't heard back yet... Strange considering that Durham, Edinburgh and Exeter have already given me offers, though :redface:
I'm pretty eager to hear from them as well, wouldn't expect to hear anything until at least a bit after Jan 15th though :frown:
I got an Unconditional, second year entry offer from the University of Aberdeen today :smile:
Original post by saachi
They can't give me unconditional because I'm doing the IB, and I'm an international student. But yes, my predicted grades are WAY above the entry requirements, and I haven't heard back yet... Strange considering that Durham, Edinburgh and Exeter have already given me offers, though :redface:

Why can't they give you unconditional offers due to you doing the IB?
Reply 7
Original post by IlluminatedRain
Why can't they give you unconditional offers due to you doing the IB?

Because the IB exams are in May, and I get my results in July. I don't have my results right now. They only give unconditional offers to people who already have their qualifications, such as the Scottish Highers system, or A-level and IB applicants who have taken a gap year. Unconditional offers would be a dream- barely any studying at all! :tongue:
Original post by saachi
Because the IB exams are in May, and I get my results in July. I don't have my results right now. They only give unconditional offers to people who already have their qualifications, such as the Scottish Highers system, or A-level and IB applicants who have taken a gap year. Unconditional offers would be a dream- barely any studying at all! :tongue:

Oh okay, I see. So predicated grades don't really matter for universities in these cases?
Reply 9
Original post by IlluminatedRain
Oh okay, I see. So predicated grades don't really matter for universities in these cases?

You need good predicted grades to get conditional offers. That's basically the only reason they're there; to give an (at times, vague) idea of your capability. But if you already have your qualifications/ results, then naturally you apply with them, in which case you either get rejected straight away or get an unconditional offer. :smile:
Reply 10
I applied to Aberdeen last year and I'm now in the middle of my first year here.

Don't worry about the late replies from them. I got all my other offers at the end of October when I applied but Aberdeen didn't get back to me for ages.

Many of my school friends found the same with Aberdeen. It seems to be a trend. They wait for all the applications to come in and then start to sort through them to judge things fairly :smile:

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Rosybud
I applied to Aberdeen last year and I'm now in the middle of my first year here.

Don't worry about the late replies from them. I got all my other offers at the end of October when I applied but Aberdeen didn't get back to me for ages.

Many of my school friends found the same with Aberdeen. It seems to be a trend. They wait for all the applications to come in and then start to sort through them to judge things fairly :smile:

Best of luck! :smile:

I literally JUST got an offer from Aberdeen! :biggrin: My mom thinks I'll be mad to pick it over Edinburgh and Durham, but I still really like the look of it...

Sorry, but do you mind if I ask you a few questions (since you're a student there)? Firstly, how is it?? Is it too cold? :tongue: I know it's a Scottish ancient so it's really pretty and everything, but is the city as nice as Edin? How's the teaching, accommodation, etc?

Reply 12
Aberdreen is right next to the north sea so can get cold when the wind blows
Reply 13
Original post by saachi
I literally JUST got an offer from Aberdeen! :biggrin: My mom thinks I'll be mad to pick it over Edinburgh and Durham, but I still really like the look of it...

Sorry, but do you mind if I ask you a few questions (since you're a student there)? Firstly, how is it?? Is it too cold? :tongue: I know it's a Scottish ancient so it's really pretty and everything, but is the city as nice as Edin? How's the teaching, accommodation, etc?

Hey!! Congratulations :smile: what's the conditional?

Yeah I'll answer questions :smile:

I love it here! I'm from the South of England so it's a bit of a big step away from home! Everyone (and I mean everyone!) is so lovely and friendly. It is pretty cold, it rains every 3 days and is quite windy but I don't know what it's like in the summer yet as I've only been here since September. You're right in thinking it's pretty, th campus is amazing, it's a little cobbled High Street with some incredible buildings (I feel like I'm at Hogwarts!) I've never been to Edinburgh so I couldn't comment on that I'm afraid :smile: The teaching has been really good, I have a lot of free time and all tutors post their office hours and emails in case you need to get in touch or organise anything. I stay in New Carnegie Court - that's in the student village Hillhead. The travel to and from campus is 15 minutes walk through a lovely park or 20 minutes by road if it's too dark to go through the park. My accommodation is lovely and the staff are all really friendly :smile:

The courses are made up of lots of different aspects. You have to take 120 credits in the first year, that's 60 credits before Christmas and 60 credits after Christmas. Each course is worth 15 credits so you must take 4 each term. You will have (usually) 2 compulsory courses for your degree and then you are free to choose 2 other courses from any area that you are interested in :smile: For example, I'm doing Psychology so I take 2 psychology courses, and then I chose a Philosophy course and a Counselling course. This term I'm doing the 2 psychology courses, plus another philosophy one, continuing the counselling and doing a physics and the universe course so you really can combine anything :smile:

You are allocated an Adviser of Studies when you get here. They help you sort out the courses you want to do and are generally there if you have ANY questions, academic or personal. It's a pretty good system :smile:

Hope some of this has helped. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask :smile:

Rosie
Reply 14
Original post by saachi
Hey, everyone, just wanted to know when Aberdeen actually start giving out offers/ rejections? They said on their acknowledgment letter that they don't look at applications until the 15th of Jan deadline, is this true even for international students?

Original post by Rosybud
I stay in New Carnegie Court - that's in the student village Hillhead. The travel to and from campus is 15 minutes walk through a lovely park or 20 minutes by road if it's too dark to go through the park. My accommodation is lovely and the staff are all really friendly. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask :smile:

I have an unconditional for Law. Recieved it just before christmas with my application away just under a month. Its my first choice so im ecstatic ! :smile:

Rosie, I have a question if you dont mind!, ehm, your staying in NCC and im so so confused for what accomodation to pick. I dont know whether to go for like Adam Smith or whether to pay that wee bit extra and try get into NCC. Have you been in the kind of "middle ground" halls ? i.e adam smith or wavell. I dont know what any of it is like haha
Reply 15
Original post by Rosybud
Hey!! Congratulations :smile: what's the conditional?

Yeah I'll answer questions :smile:

I love it here! I'm from the South of England so it's a bit of a big step away from home! Everyone (and I mean everyone!) is so lovely and friendly. It is pretty cold, it rains every 3 days and is quite windy but I don't know what it's like in the summer yet as I've only been here since September. You're right in thinking it's pretty, th campus is amazing, it's a little cobbled High Street with some incredible buildings (I feel like I'm at Hogwarts!) I've never been to Edinburgh so I couldn't comment on that I'm afraid :smile: The teaching has been really good, I have a lot of free time and all tutors post their office hours and emails in case you need to get in touch or organise anything. I stay in New Carnegie Court - that's in the student village Hillhead. The travel to and from campus is 15 minutes walk through a lovely park or 20 minutes by road if it's too dark to go through the park. My accommodation is lovely and the staff are all really friendly :smile:

The courses are made up of lots of different aspects. You have to take 120 credits in the first year, that's 60 credits before Christmas and 60 credits after Christmas. Each course is worth 15 credits so you must take 4 each term. You will have (usually) 2 compulsory courses for your degree and then you are free to choose 2 other courses from any area that you are interested in :smile: For example, I'm doing Psychology so I take 2 psychology courses, and then I chose a Philosophy course and a Counselling course. This term I'm doing the 2 psychology courses, plus another philosophy one, continuing the counselling and doing a physics and the universe course so you really can combine anything :smile:

You are allocated an Adviser of Studies when you get here. They help you sort out the courses you want to do and are generally there if you have ANY questions, academic or personal. It's a pretty good system :smile:

Hope some of this has helped. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask :smile:

Rosie

My conditions are 30 IB points with 15 at HL, pretty easy to meet :smile: Thank youuuu so much for your answer, it sounds absolutely amazing! :biggrin:

The Scottish system is what really pushes me toward Aberdeen and Edinburgh over Durham- I REALLY want to do Philosophy as well! :smile: My cousin's doing it right now at St. Andrews, and even he loves it. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by kirsti
I have an unconditional for Law. Recieved it just before christmas with my application away just under a month. Its my first choice so im ecstatic ! :smile:

Rosie, I have a question if you dont mind!, ehm, your staying in NCC and im so so confused for what accomodation to pick. I dont know whether to go for like Adam Smith or whether to pay that wee bit extra and try get into NCC. Have you been in the kind of "middle ground" halls ? i.e adam smith or wavell. I dont know what any of it is like haha

Hey :smile:
Yes I'm in NCC. The accommodation choosing was quite difficult for me. The way I worked it out was:
1. Am I prepared to share a bathroom with strangers for a year?
2. How much can I afford per week?

I added up all of my student finance, loans and grants and worked out what I would have over the entire year, minused my rent and then divided by the amount of weeks I would be here to see how much I would have left to spend per week. For me, staying in NCC leaves me with £79 per week, which is more than enough! And as I don't spend more than £40 a week, I am able take the excess and put it into savings each week, plus I'm never in my overdraft so it's a good system :smile:

I haven't been in any of the other houses I'm afraid. Although I've spoken to people who live in them and I haven't found anyone who is dissatisfied with them. Most of my friends really like their accommodation.

The only downside to living in NCC is that everyone thinks that you are super rich (not true!) and the fire alarms go off quite a lot compared to the other buildings.

The rooms in NCC are amazing, and I love them. We get a double bed each, an ensuite, a kitchen and a living area. The rooms come with a huge desk, chest of drawers, bedside table, shelves, a notice board, full length mirror and a radiator which you can control separate to the temp of the flat. The bathroom is pretty simple, it has a sink, toilet and shower (shower is amazing, none of the drizzly crap, it's a strong jet of water :smile: )

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Rosybud
Hey :smile:
Yes I'm in NCC. The accommodation choosing was quite difficult for me. The way I worked it out was:
1. Am I prepared to share a bathroom with strangers for a year?
2. How much can I afford per week?

I added up all of my student finance, loans and grants and worked out what I would have over the entire year, minused my rent and then divided by the amount of weeks I would be here to see how much I would have left to spend per week. For me, staying in NCC leaves me with £79 per week, which is more than enough! And as I don't spend more than £40 a week, I am able take the excess and put it into savings each week, plus I'm never in my overdraft so it's a good system :smile:

I haven't been in any of the other houses I'm afraid. Although I've spoken to people who live in them and I haven't found anyone who is dissatisfied with them. Most of my friends really like their accommodation.

The only downside to living in NCC is that everyone thinks that you are super rich (not true!) and the fire alarms go off quite a lot compared to the other buildings.

The rooms in NCC are amazing, and I love them. We get a double bed each, an ensuite, a kitchen and a living area. The rooms come with a huge desk, chest of drawers, bedside table, shelves, a notice board, full length mirror and a radiator which you can control separate to the temp of the flat. The bathroom is pretty simple, it has a sink, toilet and shower (shower is amazing, none of the drizzly crap, it's a strong jet of water :smile: )

Hope it helps :smile:

what you based it on is the exact same as me! the way you've described NCC i really wanna stay there now ha. aw that is such a help! im going to have to beg my dad to help out with costs or else i'll never afford it. i just reaaaally dont wanna share a bathroom with anyone. its like the most important factor for me ha. but yeah, thankyou for taking the time! i think my mind is pretty much set on trying to get into NCC. fingers crossed they give me a room there!
Reply 18
I got an unconditional for law today so im guessing now! :P
^Congats!! :smile: ucas, e-mail or letter? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending