Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was just wondering, which country is the strongest in terms of militry might, on a one country vs one country basis, no coalitions. Which country would knock out any. I think its China now. What do you think.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously everyone will say the USA.

But I'll go for China, my homeland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Obviously everyone will say the USA.

But I'll go for China, my homeland.
    definitely china. it has the biggest military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    definitely china. it has the biggest military.
    one on one in terms of men or actual ability to wage war?

ReputationRep:
    U.S. We've never lost a war. (our only lose e.g. vietnam was not technically a war.) China has lost tons or wars. Plus if we ever fought China they would come to our half of the world and then we would open up a can like we did in Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    U.S. We've never lost a war. (our only lose e.g. vietnam was not technically a war.) China has lost tons or wars. Plus if we ever fought China they would come to our half of the world and then we would open up a can like we did in Afghanistan.
    The only point I can make about what you have said there is that the USA has only been in existence for like over 200 years while China has been a powerful (well, not always...) nation for over 2,000 years.

ReputationRep:
    China are strong but they wouldnt stand a chance. Assuming no nuclear weapons were used (in which case the US would win hands down) America would win- because of the physical seperation of the countries America already has a big advantage. Their airforce is the most advanced anywhere and as such are perfectley suited for bombing raids, they also have the most advanced missile dilivery systems (subs/ships/land-based) etc- the problem for china even with a huge army is transporting it. America could theoretically fight a war with china from the air, if troops ever did clash on a large scale air power would again win through. Assuming the US didnt get caught up in gorrelia warfare they would be fine- there are no other major players unless you factor in nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    The only point I can make about what you have said there is that the USA has only been in existence for like over 200 years while China has been a powerful (well, not always...) nation for over 2,000 years.
    And in that time I'm sure they have been conquered too many time to be counted. Also china accepted many conquerers where as america would never give up.

ReputationRep:
    Though the US has only be involved in two major wars which are incomparable to any future conflict. Also- learn some history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffle)
    Though the US has only be involved in two major wars which are incomparable to any future conflict. Also- learn some history.
    And not just US-history as well.

ReputationRep:
    And in that time I'm sure they have been conquered too many time to be counted. Also china accepted many conquerers where as america would never give up.
    America would give up a war if it was forced to ie- it lost- there would be a proprtion of Americans who would fight to the death as the chinese have done.

'I'm sure they have been conquered too many time to be counted'

your an idiot!

ReputationRep:
    And not just US-history as well.
    yeh I meant well any history

ReputationRep:
    Also china accepted many conquerers where as america would never give up.
    im sure a western concept of 'dying for ur country' is far removed from what the chinese expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    im sure a western concept of 'dying for ur country' is far removed from what the chinese expect.
    I agree, I would say that tradionally this might be true, but today many more people are simply lazy and selfish, and would choose self-preservation over death for your country. This is probably less true in the more traditional south, where more of that might happen. That would never happen though, the USA is by far the most potent, even though it's not the largest. In 100 years I can imagine China being the most powerful, but today I think they'd have issues going head to head with the likes of Korea, or even Israel in a straight war (no gureilla - israel wouldn't have enough men to police it), much less the USA. Like the above post says, this has a lot to do with air power.

ReputationRep:
    There's an interesting listing system here:

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/how...es/default.asp

It's a little annoying cause you can only see countries compared by region, but still pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Also china accepted many conquerers where as america would never give up.

sometimes it is better to admit when you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    U.S. We've never lost a war. (our only lose e.g. vietnam was not technically a war.)
    What do you suppose it was then? A skirmish?

WTF??? Mate you should really start reading some books.

America is the strongest nation in the world today, I dont think anyone can argue that. But hey, whats the use in being the most powerful country in the world when your country is full of ill-educated, bigoted idiots like yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's a very good strategy, when you lose just say it wasn't really a war

ReputationRep:
    USA military might hands down. they are the best trained armed forces (maybe except for the British) in the world and the mobilty they have is second to none.

China has the numbers but i think that Russia would give them a run for their money. if you look at budget per man russia spends $82 a man while china its just $19. plus they have much more armoured support than china and similar air support capability. Also they have their huge nuclear stockpiles and developed biological/chemical weapons

i feel dirty now....urgh...war... what is it good for? *edwin starr voice*

ReputationRep:
    USA is quite well strategically placed in that it is quite a considerable distance away from any potential foes.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.