Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Breton, Welsh and Cornish are all forms of Gaelic.
    No - as has already been detailed quite clearly they are not.

ReputationRep:
    So how comes I've read things that say Yorkshire dialect is derived in part from Britonic Gaelic rather than just saying Britonic?

btw an Siarach and Dr Blazed ...... nice work on helping me deflect the thread away from A-Level pissing contests lol!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    So how comes I've read things that say Yorkshire dialect is derived in part from Britonic Gaelic rather than just saying Britonic?
    You either misunderstood or the writer of whatever you were reading knew far less than he should have to be writing on the subject.
    btw an Siarach and Dr Blazed ...... nice work on helping me deflect the thread away from A-Level pissing contests lol!!
    Nothing like a bit of a highjacking to get a thread going again .

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia has a wealth of articles on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Yorkshireman we never misunderstand. Therefore, the writer used the wrong term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiraag)
    Im doing ICT, Business, Law.

Are these going to get me into fairly good unis, e.g Manchester, UCL, if i get ABC or something

definitely not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Except those that take Business Studies.
    economics less relevant than B Studies?

Just NO...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by manc)
    definitely not
    :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    *cunningly suggests sending Manc to a Gulag to be re-educated*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    Let people do whatever subjects they want, its fine. But it is a fact that if your an admissions tutor looking only on academic virtues, someone with 4 A's in chemistry, physics, history and maths is going to get a place over someone with 4 A's in media, drama, theatre + ICT.

Having these subjects doesnt devalue A levels in any way at all, they're just a way of people getting qualifications in things that they want to pursue in the future. Sure you may not like your mates bragging about 4 A's when he did mickey mouse subjects but in the end youre not competing against him for a university place.

And in the computing/ICT argument. Computing > ICT, ICT is a joke, I do it and you just need to turn up to get a reasonable grade.
    no its not, it just confuses the system and makes a levels look bad when the pass rates increase each year!

the same with degrees- dont let people take whatever they want! only have degrees that are academically rigourous or needed by society!

ReputationRep:
    Define "academically rigorous". Would you define Computer Science as academic? You probably wouldn't, but don't tell me that I'm doing a doss! "Academically rigourous" is in the teaching, not inherent in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    no its not, it just confuses the system and makes a levels look bad when the pass rates increase each year!

the same with degrees- dont let people take whatever they want! only have degrees that are academically rigourous or needed by society!
    What an idiotic response. Education is the platform to success and why would you want to prevent someone who is willing to learn from learning? (hint: the answer is that your statement was retarded.)

There are no A Levels or Degrees that are not academically rigorous. You obviously favour traditional subjects because you have a talent or some sort of gift in those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragons_circle)
    Define "academically rigorous". Would you define Computer Science as academic? You probably wouldn't, but don't tell me that I'm doing a doss! "Academically rigourous" is in the teaching, not inherent in the subject.
    Agreed. I've done GCSE drama and am currently doing A-level drama. For your information, it is the subject which consumes most of my time,requires the most determination, the highest level of hard work, the highest level of concentration, the highest level of analysis and is requires the highest volume of work (as in written essays - not "prancing about on stage") out of my A-level subjects listed below and also at GCSE. The rest of my subjects are those which may be considered "academically rigorous." People have no right to tell me that this is a doss subject, out of 25 people doing drama at GCSE in our school only 2 got A*s, and our school is renowned for its pupils academic achievements being the best grammar school in the area. In comparison, about 90% of our year group got As and A*s for Maths (a more "academically rigorous subject").

Would you define Drama as an academic subject? Probably not. "But don't tell me that I'm doing a doss." - Dragons_circle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragons_circle)
    actually i would, i know it is! One of my offers is for Compi Sci and the other is 50% Compi Sci and 50% Electronics :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    History - good
    Classical Civilisations - fairly good
    Psychology - uhhh
    Drama and theatre studies - ummm
    Dont you say that!!!!!!!!!

You're not qualified!

According to Etheral you're not in a position to tell this person anything that could help them with choosing!!!! :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    Yeah, I second that:p: Though you might as well just enter for the exam as it is an extra thing to put on your UCAS form, and it does you no harm.
    It's definitely worth doing General Studies. It got me my place at uni and it shows that you have a broad knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from Manchester because I study Drama and Theatre studies and they explicitally told me this. The problem was that in their prospectus it didn't mention that at all but it did online. Unfortunately, nothing I could do, what was done was done. Make sure you look and get a definitive answer from your chosen universities before applying.

ReputationRep:
    p.s I personally think that a subject like Critical Thinking is way above General Studies, with far less work! For Law C.T is excellent and really helps with the LNAT test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    Dont you say that!!!!!!!!!

You're not qualified!

According to Etheral you're not in a position to tell this person anything that could help them with choosing!!!! :p: lol
    The admissions tutors are qualified. A-Level students aren't. All you can do is give a best guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto Tomato)
    What an idiotic response. Education is the platform to success and why would you want to prevent someone who is willing to learn from learning? (hint: the answer is that your statement was retarded.)

There are no A Levels or Degrees that are not academically rigorous. You obviously favour traditional subjects because you have a talent or some sort of gift in those subjects.
    How the hell is that an idiotic response??????????

The reason a levels are being devalued is because joe bloggs is studying psychology, sociology, ICT and drama instead of serious subjects- getting higher grades and tarnishing the reputation of the a level!

I am all for education- but education that is beneficial!

I dont believe teaching people a levels in psychology, sociology, drama studies, media studies etc is beneficial! These are artificial subjects- they are no different to if A Level Playstation studies was available!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.