Turn on thread page Beta

Well respected A levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    And what exactly is wrong with people taking subjects they enjoy? What's the point of struggling with a subject you despise for 2 years just so you can say 'oh, I did x A-level, therefore I must be clever' at the end of it? Also, the chances are, if you don't enjoy what you're studying, you won't get a good grade because you won't be motivated. An E isn't going to impress anyone, no matter what subject it's in.

Nobody is saying an extra 2 years studying 'academic' subjects would be impossible, but to revert to my earlier point, why do it if you won't enjoy it? You've already been forced to suffer 5 years of these boring subjects you have no interest in and you've already proved through GCSEs that you have a basic knowledge of them, so who in their right mind would waste another 2 years of optional education carrying on with them when they could be studying something else they'd actually enjoy?

They will have accomplished the same standard, but in different ways. The first person will have proved they have a logical mind and can do equations etc, whereas the second person will have proved they can write analytical essays. 2 completely different sets of skills that will be useful for different things. If both candidates applied for an engineering degree, of course the first is more deserving of a place, but equally for a degree in an arts subject, the second is far more suitable.

Not necessariy. I'm by no means rich, but I'd say my family were comfortable and I still hate people who brag about how much money they have and think they're better than those who are less well off. Similarly, I only study one 'mickey mouse' subject with 3 traditional subjects and have offers from 5 good universities, but I still hate people putting others down because of the subjects they do. I just hate snobbery, full stop :p:
    So you believe that the person studying psy, soc, dram, media stands a better chance than the m, fm, chem, phy student if both were applying to read PPE at Oxford? Oh dear- you're wrong.

So does that mean if the whole country didnt want to study traditional a levels- we should put on extra ones such as A Level Street Studies, A Level Reebok Studies, A Level Baby Studies (oh that already exists as Health & Social Care!!) and forget about Mathematics and Physics- aslong as they're happy studying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wake up, we all have to do things in life we dont enjoy! If one cannot stand 2 years of going to school doing 9-3 studying an a level subject then they are in for a real shock working 9-5 for the next 30-40 years!

I also take it that you support tax payers money being spent on stupid degrees such as beach studies simply because some individuals dont like the other degrees on offer! This is simply rediculous and the system should not bend to meet students needs, it should be the other way around!

If i walked into a restaurant and didnt like the menu, they wouldnt change it or add my mums recipes! Why the hell should curriculums change because of "fussy" students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alias667)
    people in sixth form think rs is a mickey mouse subject because of its format at gcse. at a level, the course is completely changed into an academic excursion instead of an excercise in social awareness. universities look fondly on it in my experience. to be honest, your A levels dont matter. get over yourselves the obsession with a pathetic & vein reputation and do what you feel suits you best. i'd rather get paid £10,000 a year and surf (if thats what made me happy) than be paid £100,000, with people commenting on how well off i am and how good my job is and in my heart be sad.
    Would you tell your children thats why you cannot afford to take their mum to america for cancer treatment- because you just wanted a good time working?

God forbid that happens- but money makes the world go around. Plus there are many enjoyable well paid jobs out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    So you believe that the person studying psy, soc, dram, media stands a better chance than the m, fm, chem, phy student if both were applying to read PPE at Oxford? Oh dear- you're wrong.

So does that mean if the whole country didnt want to study traditional a levels- we should put on extra ones such as A Level Street Studies, A Level Reebok Studies, A Level Baby Studies (oh that already exists as Health & Social Care!!) and forget about Mathematics and Physics- aslong as they're happy studying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wake up, we all have to do things in life we dont enjoy! If one cannot stand 2 years of going to school doing 9-3 studying an a level subject then they are in for a real shock working 9-5 for the next 30-40 years!

I also take it that you support tax payers money being spent on stupid degrees such as beach studies simply because some individuals dont like the other degrees on offer! This is simply rediculous and the system should not bend to meet students needs, it should be the other way around!

If i walked into a restaurant and didnt like the menu, they wouldnt change it or add my mums recipes! Why the hell should curriculums change because of "fussy" students!
    I don't know a lot about PPE, but from what I do know, it's quite a general course where you don't need specific A-levels, so the candidates should stand a roughly equal chance, although the latter may be at a slight advantage because they have maths. As far as Oxbridge is concerned, excluding specific subjects that are required for the course, interviews and their own admissions tests probably hold more weight than A-levels. But neither of us is an Oxford admissions tutor, so I can't say you're wrong and you can't say I'm wrong because we don't really know.

Now you're just being silly. The so-called 'mickey mouse' subjects don't study streets or trainers or anything ridiculous like that, they study theories, technical terms etc. Nobody is saying we should 'forget' subjects like maths and physics, just that we shouldn't force everyone to study them if they have no interest in them.

That's exactly my point. If they don't enjoy what they're studying at A-level and then get a job related to it, they won't enjoy their job either, whereas if they study something they actually like, it follows that they're more likely to get a job they'll like.

To go back to my early point, degrees such as surf studies and golf course management are practical/vocational rather than academic and thus I don't support them being taught in universities, not because I think they're worthless, but because they would be much better taught 'on the job' in the professions where the skills they teach are needed. Degrees such as sociology, psychology, media studies etc have academic content and therefore I see no harm in them.

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually know anything about anything ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)

I don't think he does.

ReputationRep:
    Can we please just let this thread die. We have all realied by now he's a troling tool who has no concept of the real world. Let's stop feeding him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    elaborate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Can we please just let this thread die. We have all realied by now he's a troling tool who has no concept of the real world. Let's stop feeding him.
    that depends if you mean real world asin people that actually do well in life- or those that claim 30 pounds a week and study rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    that depends if you mean real world asin people that actually do well in life- or those that claim 30 pounds a week and study rubbish!
    claim £30 a week and study rubbish - if your saying what i think your saying, youre out of order! and you know it

at least keep your arguments sensible or no one will listen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kilgore Trout)
    I'm always curious about Music. I do Music (Music A level, not Music Technology), and half the teachers I talk to say 'wow impressive that's really looked on favourably', and the other half think it's an idiot's subject. Which it really, really isn't. But I'd like to know if anybody has some university views on this.
    I think it's all relative... I've heard people who highly regard general studies, as it shows you have a very good general knowledge and can write essays well.

ReputationRep:
    2nd person has maths which is a plus, but doesn't have an essay subject. PPE is an BA - 95% of it is writing essays. Therefore, to get in, the second person would have to specificcally write two essays to send up, and do well on the written test, which involves a short essay, and definitions between words. First person has 2 subjects clearly relevant to the degree (psy and soc) and may be expected to cope better with essay writing.

Basically, you are basing that statement on the assumption someone who picked M, FM, PH, CH would be brighter than the other. Load of ****. What gets you into Oxford are your interviews, sent up work and the written test.

ReputationRep:
    I'm embarking upon the following courses next year, can anyone tell me how 'respected' they are. Thanks

-English Literature
    -Govt & Politics
    -History
    -Classics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousuf)
    I'm embarking upon the following courses next year, can anyone tell me how 'respected' they are. Thanks

-English Literature
    -Govt & Politics
    -History
    -Classics
    English lit and history are very respected and politics is probably somewhere in the middle. Not sure about classics, but I've never heard it dismissed as 'mickey mouse', so again it's probably in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    Next year I'm taking:

English Language
    Art
    Latin
    Psychology
    Critical Thinking

Could someone please tell me how well-respected these subjects are? My school is forcing everyone to take Critical Thinking as an extra subject, but it's only one hour a week so I don't mind too much... I've been told that I should drop Art after AS because it's not thought of as rigorous by unis?!! I'm doing Art for GCSE and probably put 10 times as much work into it than I did my other subjects so I wouldn't say it wasn't rigorous... and what about Psychology? It's too late to change my option choices, I just wanted to see what other people thought about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    Next year I'm taking:

English Language
    Art
    Latin
    Psychology
    Critical Thinking

Could someone please tell me how well-respected these subjects are? My school is forcing everyone to take Critical Thinking as an extra subject, but it's only one hour a week so I don't mind too much... I've been told that I should drop Art after AS because it's not thought of as rigorous by unis?!! I'm doing Art for GCSE and probably put 10 times as much work into it than I did my other subjects so I wouldn't say it wasn't rigorous... and what about Psychology? It's too late to change my option choices, I just wanted to see what other people thought about them.
    All of them bar Critical Thinking would count as 'qualifications' for university entrance. Latin is certainly a real subject, as is Art, I don't know who's been telling you it's dodgy. English Language and Psychology are the ones that lose points on snob factor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    Next year I'm taking:

English Language
    Art
    Latin
    Psychology
    Critical Thinking

Latin is fine and so is English language, although it's not as respected as lit. Psychology gets the 'mickey mouse' label. With art, I think it's more to do with the fact that it's not academic rather than it not being rigorous, but having one creative subject won't do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's kind of what I thought - probably should've stuck to RS or Philosophy rather than Psychology, but I can always drop it after a year so I guess it doesn't matter much. Anyway, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether I should do business studies after reading this thread and talking to people about it, I am planning to do it as an AS then drop it and carry on Bio chem & physics for medicine. I really don't want to do anything else as my fourth subject though Do you think this will disadvantage me in applying for a top uni for medicine even if I get good GCSE's and A's in my sciences at A-level ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaleedB)
    I don't know whether I should do business studies after reading this thread and talking to people about it, I am planning to do it as an AS then drop it and carry on Bio chem & physics for medicine. I really don't want to do anything else as my fourth subject though Do you think this will disadvantage me in applying for a top uni for medicine even if I get good GCSE's and A's in my sciences at A-level ?
    I'm not entirely sure about medicine because it's so insanely competitive, so subjects chosen could possibly be a last ditch way to choose between 2 otherwise equal candidates. I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference if your grades are good enough though, and it's better to take business as a 4th subject, enjoy it and do well than take a respected subject for the sake of it, hate it and do badly. If you're worried, you could try emailing a few university admissions tutors for their views.

ReputationRep:
    Would you tell your children thats why you cannot afford to take their mum to america for cancer treatment- because you just wanted a good time working?

God forbid that happens- but money makes the world go around. Plus there are many enjoyable well paid jobs out there.
    when you have children circumstances change, so your position is innacurate for the context. i was obviously referring to a position of sole responsibility, not of responsibility for others. if you accept children, you accept the sacrifice of having to support them. my original view of having a good time working stands, and is unopposable, because its my choice !

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.