Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragons_circle)
    So unless it suits your purpose, you ignore the facts. I personally find a 10 year old getting a B in A level maths impressive; may I ask what you are expecting to get? And if it is an A (which I suspect, flicking through your previous posts) why aren't you doing it early?

And I definitely agree with bis, computing rather outranks ICT for respectability.
    It is impressive, but who's to say that the 10yr old progresses to A grade standard? He only has a B, until he has an A hes still the same as a 16yr old with a B.

Firstly with regards to your second comment i took 3 MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECTS, none of them are recognised by my choices! I got AA on a Double AVCE ICT course, taught it myself in a year and thats not even recognised. So there you have it, first hand experience of the rubbish that is taught.

Nobody in my school was allowed to take qualifications early, which was stupid because lots of us could have (state grammar).

Yes i am expecting A's- but i am teaching myself for these subjects (Maths, Eco, Physics and AS F Maths)

ReputationRep:
    I did Media Studies, and I would definitely say it was the hardest of my three A-Levels. I found Business Studies and English Language (okay I haven't finished it yet, but I'm on course for an A) pretty straightforward as although there is a lot on the syllabus, it is by no means necessary to know it all for the exams/coursework. For both subjects, it is also possible to follow a prepared 'structured' answer for every question to (easily) ensure that you get the top marks.

I had to work extremely hard in Media Studies to get my A. It's not just watching films, you have to analyse several different forms of media with a LOT of academic theorists in mind. It's a lot harder than most people will think. Only about 10 people got As in my (state) sixth form (ranked 9th best in the country) out of about 80. I don't care what anyone says, I believe you have to be very intelligent to get an A in Media Studies. They don't call them advanced levels for no reason...

I would say Business Studies is a borderline middle/upper tier subject. Although it is 'blacklisted', it is still very academic and people with Business Studies A Level still manage get into top unis such as Oxbridge and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    one guy in my school got into cambridge with maths,physics,ict and d&t, to study general engineering its only 2 of those subjects that we see as traditional but he got in. so wots dis whole issue? the other reason why some are more respected is that in my school for example you need an A at gcse to study the same subject at a level eg physics and maths, so they tend to have more academic students in maths and physics classes. this however does not mean that those studying accounting are not intelligent. so LSE can f off.

ReputationRep:
    At the age of 10, he is A level grade B standard. I think that is a fantastic achievement for him and saying that he "only has a B" is doesn't make much sense. What, should everyone wait umpteen years until they can get an A in their subjects? :rolleyes:

I think the biggest disagreement with these mickey mouse A levels is the skills they teach could be covered in any other subject (eg. Media Studies could be covered by English) and the knowledge can be learnt elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    At the age of 10, he is A level grade B standard. I think that is a fantastic achievement for him and saying that he "only has a B" is doesn't make much sense. What, should everyone wait umpteen years until they can get an A in their subjects? :rolleyes:
    because there are obviously still parts of the course he didnt understand or he would have got an A.

Whats he going to do at university- "oh sorry i cant do integration by parts, thats why i only got a B"??????

I know tonnes of year 10's that take GCSE's early and get B's or A's, why didnt they just wait and get an A*????

Media Studies IS mickey mouse. It is not needed especially as the media is mostly *******s anyway. You are the only person i know that finds it hard, i know people who are thick as **** and dont work in it and still get B's and A's.

Ive done Business- its the biggest pile of **** going too. Ive found it harder getting an A in Business than Maths or Physics BUT thats because it bores the life out of me because its sooooooo irrelevant!

I stick with LSE's blacklist, stop the rubbish being taught at schools and go back to traditional maths, latin, sciences etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    What precisely is Latin relevent to? It's called a DEAD language for a reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    because there are obviously still parts of the course he didnt understand or he would have got an A.

Whats he going to do at university- "oh sorry i cant do integration by parts, thats why i only got a B"??????

I know tonnes of year 10's that take GCSE's early and get B's or A's, why didnt they just wait and get an A*????

Media Studies IS mickey mouse. It is not needed especially as the media is mostly *******s anyway. You are the only person i know that finds it hard, i know people who are thick as **** and dont work in it and still get B's and A's.

Ive done Business- its the biggest pile of **** going too. Ive found it harder getting an A in Business than Maths or Physics BUT thats because it bores the life out of me because its sooooooo irrelevant!

I stick with LSE's blacklist, stop the rubbish being taught at schools and go back to traditional maths, latin, sciences etc etc.
    I agree with you about the taking exams early thing. I've seen plenty of people on TSR with As in early GCSEs or Bs in early A-levels and I really don't see the point. Of course it's impressive, but an A* or an A would be even more impressive, and if you can get an A or a B early, it's very likely you can get an A* or an A if you wait an extra year or whatever.

I have to disagree about media studies though. Maybe the people you know who got As and Bs were 'thick as ****' at subjects like maths and science because they simply didn't enjoy them, whereas they enjoyed media studies, so they were more willing to put the work in to get a good grade. I wouldn't consider myself 'thick'- I got pretty good GCSE results, I should hopefully get good A-level results and I have offers from 5 good universities- but I really struggled with GCSE media studies. I got an E in the mock and only came out with a B overall because of my coursework, despite getting A* and A grades in traditional subjects.

I also don't see the problem at all with people being allowed to study what they enjoy. What's the point of staying on at school for another 2 years and being forced to study maths, physics, history and German if you hated them all just because they're respected, when you could have had a much better time and got much better grades studying sociology, psychology, business studies and media studies? And if people think the latter subjects are so easy, there's nothing to stop them from taking them. If they choose to study subjects they think are harder, that's entirely down to them and they shouldn't complain about other people getting better grades than them in different subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i agree with that, yeaht things like foreign languages, biology, chemistry, physics and maths and english lit are well respected a levelss and seem to be the ones where you have to actually be quite intelligent to get an A in but thats not to say any of the others are easy just because you find something like maths easy does not mean you can cope with say geography. I know i have an affinity for science but i was **** at geography i managed to still get an A at gcse though by pure pure hard work it was down to me putting the effort but i found it hard harder than maths so why is maths said to be hard? i dont find it hard but i would find doing a level geography hard.

Its all relevant to what an individual sees as difficult and easy so you cant really put down this is an easy subject this is a hard subject. It just happens that more people taken from a random sample of people would find the science, foreign languages harder. I dont think it matters to be honest with universities if you have the grades in the subjects you're suppose to in the subjects the course requires does it matter if you get an A in media studies as well as if you want to do maths at university providing you got an A in that too. I guess it will only give you a slight slight edge when in the interview doing "hard subjects" but there are going to be thousands of people who do the same hard subjects like maths, all science. They recognise things like that are hard but it does not give you the complete edge against everyone else because if you have a crap personality or do awful on the interview do the subjects you took matter anymore?

ReputationRep:
    wow ^^^ someone who knows what they're talking about!!! How do I give rep?

ReputationRep:
    Click on the scales on the post in the thread you want to give rep to.

ReputationRep:
    To futureaussiecto:

To be honest, what your arguing is not really the point. I just mentioned that "a child of x could pass it" is not a good way of measuring respectability or difficulty of A level subjects.

For a 9 year old getting a grade A in A level Maths, not to mention getting into Oxford age 11 and getting a phD by age 18:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2492853.stm

ReputationRep:
    To futureaussiecto:

To be honest, what your arguing is not really the point. I just mentioned that "a child of x could pass it" is not a good way of measuring respectability or difficulty of A level subjects.

For a 9 year old getting a grade A in A level Maths, not to mention getting into Oxford age 11 and getting a phD by age 18:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2492853.stm
    was that last sentence meant to contain something like "is very impressive"?

From what many people on this thread are suggesting, an 8yr old getting a C is brilliant- yes it is, but they still dont know 2 Grades-worth of the material!

Unless someone is blatently going to get an A its a waste?!

With regards to some idiot saying latin is a dead language- nearly every word in the english language derives from latin! It is far from useless.I havent studied it but i plan to simply because of its relevance in every day life.

What is media studies going to teach someone- how to name all presenters on the BBC Breakfast show???

I'll repeat this because someone people dont see to have caught on, the main reason for qualifications are to PROVE knowledge/intelligence, not to enjoy!

The creation of subjects such as sociology, business studies, media studies, theatre studies etc etc is just as important as a Daily Mail headline of "more people who eat carrots die from cancer", ie its total rubbish and made up!

So a few of you on here are saying that LSE, Imperial, Warwick, Oxbridge and many of the top universities are WRONG be saying that "mickey mouse" subjects are easier?? These people are field medalists, royal society members etc etc and you think they are wrong?? Dont be daft!

ReputationRep:
    "With regards to some idiot saying latin is a dead language- nearly every word in the english language derives from latin! It is far from useless.I havent studied it but i plan to simply because of its relevance in every day life. "

Actually the majority of English words derive from germanic and french influences. English is, by nature of being a modern corruption of anglo-saxon, germanic. Very few have a latin root. Also, a language having a root in another does not make the other one useful.

Latin has no impact on my every day life. Even the English words derived from Latin only have use because they are English words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I have to disagree about media studies though. Maybe the people you know who got As and Bs were 'thick as ****' at subjects like maths and science because they simply didn't enjoy them, whereas they enjoyed media studies, so they were more willing to put the work in to get a good grade. I wouldn't consider myself 'thick'- I got pretty good GCSE results, I should hopefully get good A-level results and I have offers from 5 good universities- but I really struggled with GCSE media studies. I got an E in the mock and only came out with a B overall because of my coursework, despite getting A* and A grades in traditional subjects.

I also don't see the problem at all with people being allowed to study what they enjoy. What's the point of staying on at school for another 2 years and being forced to study maths, physics, history and German if you hated them all just because they're respected, when you could have had a much better time and got much better grades studying sociology, psychology, business studies and media studies? And if people think the latter subjects are so easy, there's nothing to stop them from taking them. If they choose to study subjects they think are harder, that's entirely down to them and they shouldn't complain about other people getting better grades than them in different subjects.
    Firstly thanks for agreeing on my point about early qualifications.

However, with regards to mickey mouse subjects- the only reason they were created was because the exam boards knew they would make money from them. Why would some teenager who is always out with his mates instead of studying a few hours a week going to do a level maths when he can do a level business studies?!

M.M. subjects are an example of market failure, created simply to keep people happy. What if i didnt like all the subjects that were available inc M.M. subjects- surely by what some people say on here they should create more qualifications that i would enjoy- A Level Football perhaps, you could analyse team tactics- throw in a few technical points from the premiership etc.

Example above- how is that going to show an employer that i am clever? Its not because he hasnt got a clue what it is. Same as with M.M. subjects. They arent going to give the student valuable knowledge that can be applied in general circumstances, only if one talks about media or business. Traditional subjects are traditional because they have developed through being relevant through life.

Oxford and Camrbridge used to only teach theology, and a few other subjects- why- because religion was life. They didnt create rubbish just to draw students. Do you see the connection between this, the a levels and less academic students, They create rubbish degrees just to draw people wo cannot hack a proper degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    "With regards to some idiot saying latin is a dead language- nearly every word in the english language derives from latin! It is far from useless.I havent studied it but i plan to simply because of its relevance in every day life. "

Actually the majority of English words derive from germanic and french influences. English is, by nature of being a modern corruption of anglo-saxon, germanic. Very few have a latin root. Also, a language having a root in another does not make the other one useful.

Latin has no impact on my every day life. Even the English words derived from Latin only have use because they are English words.
    "Influence"

[Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin nfluentia, influx, from Latin nfluns, nfluent- present participle of nfluere, to flow in : in-, in; see in-2 + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European Roots.]

"Nature"

[Middle English, essential properties of a thing, from Old French, from Latin ntra, from ntus, past participle of nsc, to be born. See gen- in Indo-European Roots.]

"majority"

[French majorité, from Medieval Latin mirits, from Latin mior, greater. See meg- in Indo-European Roots.]

"Corruption"

[Middle English, from Latin corruptus, past participle of corrumpere, to destroy : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + rumpere, to break; see reup- in Indo-European Roots.]

you were saying?

ReputationRep:
    Very few have a latin root.
    I feel I should step in and point out that although not many have a root directly from Latin, the Norman invasion and ensuing several centuries of French-dominated officialdom in this country leant the language a strong French flavour, the words of which are much more strongly derivated from the Latin.

The study of Latin is useful to all of us in helping to understand the syntax and grammar of European languages, including our own.

Also, everyone stop arguing about 'respected' A Levels and get back to work, so you can actually pass some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Also, everyone stop arguing about 'respected' A Levels and get back to work, so you can actually pass some.
    haha classic

im just sitting here with some 'non respected' coursework that is doing my head in- business studies!

ReputationRep:
    3 out of the 4 examples you quote there entered into use in the English language by virtue of being in the French language.

If you are going to make this utterly ridiculous argument that Latin is a relevent A-Level to have because it gives the English language some of its words then you would, by using the same justification, have to take A-Levels in the following

- French
    - German
    - Latin
    - Ancient Greek
    - Old English
    - Anglo-Saxon (which was corrupted to become Old English) /Anglo-Saxon history
    - Old Norse
    - Britonic Gaelic
    - Some of the languages spoken on the Indian subcontinent.

Your assertion that Latin is useful is utter tripe, unless you intend to study classics. Do not presume because something interests you it is worthy of more praise than something that interests others.

The prevailing socio-economic tendancy of this country is away from traditional employment. The country is now a service based economy, so it is technically correct to argue science, maths etc. are LESS relevent because the jobs needing those are now in short supply.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to make this utterly ridiculous argument that Latin is a relevent A-Level
    i didnt say its relevant to a level. i said that it is by far a more powerful subject to know that b****y meda studies!

How much latin is connected with our law system- oh i suppose thats not important to you is it? Aslong as joe bloggs enjoys his media studies then thats all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    How much latin is connected with our law system- oh i suppose thats not important to you is it? Aslong as joe bloggs enjoys his media studies then thats all good.

Suprisingly little actually. There has been a move within the legal profession to remove the outdated latin terms in favour of their English equivalents.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.