Turn on thread page Beta

Well respected A levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    The prevailing socio-economic tendancy of this country is
    to teach the lowest standards possible making sure that all pupils are happy studying subjects they learn and not ones relevant to this countrys future economic well being.

I cannot stand people that wish to break traditions. I suppose you're against the Queen are you? Also i suppose you approve John Prescott building houses in peoples gardens. Against grammar schools? Believe in political correctness? Anyone who goes to a private school is a snob? Increase the number of city academies? Re-design the union jack to take into account the black people??

ReputationRep:
    Suprisingly little actually. There has been a move within the legal profession to remove the outdated latin terms in favour of their English equivalents.
    any quotes, examples, links, etc?

The fact still remains, people who study M.M subjects GENERALLY do so because they cant hack traditional subjects and they feel getting a job straight after GCSE's would mean they've failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    to teach the lowest standards possible making sure that all pupils are happy studying subjects they learn and not ones relevant to this countrys future economic well being.

I cannot stand people that wish to break traditions. I suppose you're against the Queen are you? Also i suppose you approve John Prescott building houses in peoples gardens. Against grammar schools? Believe in political correctness?
    Break with tradition? Do you actually listen when you speak?

Traditionally, if you were working class you would be in a mill/down a pit/engaged in some other gainful employment before your teens. You would not have the chance of much schooling, if any at all. This discussion on A-Levels would not even be happening if we did not break traditions.

Alongside ****ging off A-Levels you consider to be irrelevent, are you also now claming legal business needs to be conducted in Latin? There is no earthly reason why the English equivalence cannot be used.

ReputationRep:
    any quotes, examples, links, etc?

The fact still remains, people who study M.M subjects GENERALLY do so because they cant hack traditional subjects and they feel getting a job straight after GCSE's would mean they've failed.
    quotes, links, examples?

If I could be bothered to look at the courts service or the DCA website or maybe the law society website I could possibly find some. Alternatively, I could point out I sit the final exams on my LL.B in less than 3 weeks.

As for "the fact remains" - it is not fact merely because you think it is.

ReputationRep:
    Alongside ****ging off A-Levels you consider to be irrelevent
    So if they are so relevant why do all the top universities dislike them??

are you also now claming legal business needs to be conducted in Latin?
    When did i say that? I said it must be important seeing as though most of the terms lasted for atleast 900 years!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly thanks for agreeing on my point about early qualifications.

However, with regards to mickey mouse subjects- the only reason they were created was because the exam boards knew they would make money from them. Why would some teenager who is always out with his mates instead of studying a few hours a week going to do a level maths when he can do a level business studies?!

M.M. subjects are an example of market failure, created simply to keep people happy. What if i didnt like all the subjects that were available inc M.M. subjects- surely by what some people say on here they should create more qualifications that i would enjoy- A Level Football perhaps, you could analyse team tactics- throw in a few technical points from the premiership etc.

Example above- how is that going to show an employer that i am clever? Its not because he hasnt got a clue what it is. Same as with M.M. subjects. They arent going to give the student valuable knowledge that can be applied in general circumstances, only if one talks about media or business. Traditional subjects are traditional because they have developed through being relevant through life.

Oxford and Camrbridge used to only teach theology, and a few other subjects- why- because religion was life. They didnt create rubbish just to draw students. Do you see the connection between this, the a levels and less academic students, They create rubbish degrees just to draw people wo cannot hack a proper degree.
    If you don't like any of the A-level subjects that are available, there are plenty of vocational courses you can do instead such as NVQs and BTECs, so I don't think there are that many people that decide to do A-levels just because 'mickey mouse' subjects are now an option.

Any A-level proves to an employer that you're hardworking and clever because you've gone through a 2 year course where you've been constantly faced with exams and coursework that require lots of effort to succeed. Whether or not it proves that you're sutiable for the job is another matter, and obviously you should take subjects relevant to the career you want, but to be honest A-levels are more of a means to an end than anything else. Most of the material you learn in a subject at A-level won't be useful in your job even if the subject itself is relevant.

New degrees have been created to attract more students, just as new A-levels have been created for the same reason, but that doesn't mean the students couldn't hack traditional subjects, just that maybe they didn't enjoy them. I know you keep saying the point of education is to prove intelligence rather than for enjoyment, but you need to enjoy what you're studying to keep motivated and do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    They are relevent to the courses they prepare you for.

As for why Legal business was conducted in Latin for so long - it's quite simple. It was a method of social control. Ordinary people couldn't speak Latin, and so couldn't understand legal documents and proceedings. It was to keep the practice of law for the elite

ReputationRep:
    Traditionally, if you were working class you would be in a mill/down a pit/engaged in some other gainful employment before your teens. You would not have the chance of much schooling, if any at all. This discussion on A-Levels would not even be happening if we did not break traditions.
    i seem to recall we were a global superpower around that time- i think it was because they were doing something constructive and beneficial for the whole country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    If you don't like any of the A-level subjects that are available, there are plenty of vocational courses you can do instead such as NVQs and BTECs, so I don't think there are that many people that decide to do A-levels just because 'mickey mouse' subjects are now an option.

Any A-level proves to an employer that you're hardworking and clever because you've gone through a 2 year course where you've been constantly faced with exams and coursework that require lots of effort to succeed. Whether or not it proves that you're sutiable for the job is another matter, and obviously you should take subjects relevant to the career you want, but to be honest A-levels are more of a means to an end than anything else. Most of the material you learn in a subject at A-level won't be useful in your job even if the subject itself is relevant.

New degrees have been created to attract more students, just as new A-levels have been created for the same reason, but that doesn't mean the students couldn't hack traditional subjects, just that maybe they didn't enjoy them. I know you keep saying the point of education is to prove intelligence rather than for enjoyment, but you need to enjoy what you're studying to keep motivated and do well in it.
    yeh just why i avoid biology because i completely hate it lol (i think i recall you do biology- oops lol)

i just think its pretty meaningless because i know about business studies- yet my friend owns his own business and does nothing that i learn bout. He turns over about 500,000 a year so its not a small business. He looked at my syllabus and just said "what a pile of artifical rubbish"

ReputationRep:
    i seem to recall we were a global superpower around that time- i think it was because they were doing something constructive and beneficial for the whole country.
    My point being, the "traditions" you advocate would have precluded you from education. You would have been working long hours for a pitance in appaling conditions, or else forcibly enlisted into the army and sent of to die in a land grab to make the rich richer.

If people want to do A-Levels you consider inferior, that is their choice and ultimately their right. There is quite simply less demand for the "traditional" A-Level subjects now.

ReputationRep:
    yeh just why i avoid biology because i completely hate it lol (i think i recall you do biology- oops lol)

i just think its pretty meaningless because i know about business studies- yet my friend owns his own business and does nothing that i learn bout. He turns over about 500,000 a year so its not a small business. He looked at my syllabus and just said "what a pile of artifical rubbish"
    I don't do biology! :p: I quite happily gave up maths and all the sciences after GCSE!

Which just goes to back up my point that most things you learn in A-levels won't actually help you when you get a job, apart from teaching, and I'm sure the traditional subjects aren't much different.

ReputationRep:
    As for why Legal business was conducted in Latin for so long - it's quite simple. It was a method of social control. Ordinary people couldn't speak Latin, and so couldn't understand legal documents and proceedings. It was to keep the practice of law for the elite
    Don't discount the fact that even up until as recently as the 18th century, English dialects were more varied and common than they are even today. As well as the degree of social control that Latin allowed, it was standardised, thus allowing legal and bureaucratic proceedings to be carried out in the same way throughout the country.

ReputationRep:
    My point being, the "traditions" you advocate would have precluded you from education. You would have been working long hours for a pitance in appaling conditions, or else forcibly enlisted into the army and sent of to die in a land grab to make the rich richer.

If people want to do A-Levels you consider inferior, that is their choice and ultimately their right. There is quite simply less demand for the "traditional" A-Level subjects now.
    It is not their right to consider them equal to the traditional subjects, all the traditional subjects are by far harder.

ReputationRep:
    Sheer academic snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    Well consider the fact that English Lit, French, German, and other languages were considered mickey mouse subjects when they were first offered by UCL around 200 years ago, and now they are highly respectable subjects. The biggest problem with the new mickey mouse subjects is the skills they teach could be covered by other subjects (eg. Media Studies by English Lit) and the knowledge they teach is negligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragons_circle)
    Well consider the fact that English Lit, French, German, and other languages were considered mickey mouse subjects when they were first offered by UCL around 200 years ago, and now they are highly respectable subjects. The biggest problem with the new mickey mouse subjects is the skills they teach could be covered by other subjects (eg. Media Studies by English Lit) and the knowledge they teach is negligible.
    if you want to go into journalism, you study english literature not media studies.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to do english to go into journalism... but you are right; traditional subjects are more useful. For something like journalism work experience is hugely important too though.

ReputationRep:
    Computing is much more academic than ICT - trust me: I did ICT. The thing is, I don't know whether universities would recognise this.

ReputationRep:
    Sheer academic snobbery.
    Which pretty much sums up this entire thread.

ReputationRep:
    Again, futureaussiecto, you miss the point of my post. I'm not saying you need either to get into journalism - I didn't even mention journalism, so I don't know where you got that from

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.