Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    whoever neg rapped me- atleast reveal yourself because im replying to your comment in my rep section on here:

"there is ZERO evidence that the "top universities dislike them". LSE has a list - but LSE admissions are among the least respected in the academic community. Speak to some admissions tutors before you attempt to speak FOR them."

ok- i have in my hotmail inbox emails from ATLEAST 50 admissions tutors from Imperial, Oxbridge, Durham, City, UCL, LSE, Warwick and SOAS.

Oh dear- what a fool!

Ive been through UCAS 3 times, not because i failed anything but because

I ORIGINALLY TOOK MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECTS AND THE TOP UNIVERSITIES DONT LIKE THEM!

So dont tell me that i dont know what im talking about because i bloody well do!

Schools wont admit they arent favoured because it wouldnt be professional knocking other teachers subjects.

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of these subjects:

History
    Classical Civilisations
    Psychology
    Drama and theatre studies

I am considering either a history or psychology degree and I would like to go to a top uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan_mhari)

History
    Classical Civilisations
    Psychology

I am considering either a history or psychology degree and I would like to go to a top uni
    the last two come under "mickey mouse", im not sure about classical civillisation to be totally honest, i would be inclinded to suggest its classed as traditional. history is definitely traditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    the last two come under "mickey mouse", im not sure about classical civillisation to be totally honest, i would be inclinded to suggest its classed as traditional. history is definitely traditional.
    Unqualified to comment.

To the person that asked the question this inane answer was given to:

decide which degree you want to do, think about which universities you want to go to, do some research, email Admissions Tutors and find out which combination of subjects they want you to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Unqualified to comment.

To the person that asked the question this inane answer was given to:

decide which degree you want to do, think about which universities you want to go to, do some research, email Admissions Tutors and find out which combination of subjects they want you to have.
    HAHAHAHA

Hey- you know you sound like one of those people who say things just to be nice to people- like you're not fat, just big boned!

People are going to read what you've said, study 3 mickey mouse subjects because you said that theres no evidence top unis dislike them AND END UP WASTING A YEAR BECAUSE OF IT

if you said that theres no evidence to say top unis dislike those subjects- why did you say its academic snobbery? Surely you've said it doesnt happen and then you've said it does!!!

Please stop telling them ther subjects are respected when they arent! I know for a fact- dont make me put a print screen of my hotmail with the emails because you'll look a muppet.

ReputationRep:
    In case you haven't noticed, I have made no claims as to whether they are respectable or not.

I'm merely pointing out you're not in a position to give an opinion as you are not an admissions tutor.

As I said, if people want to know what A-Levels are best for a particular course the thing to do is to ask admissions tutors for those courses, not 16-20 year olds on a forum who, like yourself, clearly has a chip on their shoulder. The snobbery is your presumption to pronounce which A-Levels are respected and which are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Don't discount the fact that even up until as recently as the 18th century, English dialects were more varied and common than they are even today. As well as the degree of social control that Latin allowed, it was standardised, thus allowing legal and bureaucratic proceedings to be carried out in the same way throughout the country.
    Indeed. I find it hard to believe that the primary motivation was to exclude the less fortunate. It may indeed have been a result, or partial reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Law was practiced by a class that was somewhat devoid of the variations of accent and dialect. Don't forget dialect is the preserve of the poor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan_mhari)

History
    Classical Civilisations
    Psychology

History - good
    Classical Civilisations - fairly good
    Psychology - uhhh
    Drama and theatre studies - ummm

ReputationRep:
    - Britonic Gaelic
    A language which does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    Let people do whatever subjects they want, its fine. But it is a fact that if your an admissions tutor looking only on academic virtues, someone with 4 A's in chemistry, physics, history and maths is going to get a place over someone with 4 A's in media, drama, theatre + ICT.

Having these subjects doesnt devalue A levels in any way at all, they're just a way of people getting qualifications in things that they want to pursue in the future. Sure you may not like your mates bragging about 4 A's when he did mickey mouse subjects but in the end youre not competing against him for a university place.

And in the computing/ICT argument. Computing > ICT, ICT is a joke, I do it and you just need to turn up to get a reasonable grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    A language which does not exist.
    Britonic Gaelic is a branch of Gaelic of which Breton Welsh and I think Manx are sub groups. As english has words from the main sort of Gaelic but I wasn't sure which sub branch, I thought it easier to stick with the unbrella group.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget dialect is the preserve of the poor
    You're mistaken. Before the days of mass transit and fast communication, everybody spoke with a different accent and using a different vocabulary. If you're interested, there's a fairly good (and readable) chapter in Melvyn Bragg's The Adventure of English.

ReputationRep:
    Even the upper classes? I'm not convinced tbh

ReputationRep:
    Britonic Gaelic is a branch of Gaelic of which Breton Welsh and I think Manx are sub groups. As english has words from the main sort of Gaelic but I wasn't sure which sub branch, I thought it easier to stick with the unbrella group.
    Indo-European > Celtic > Britonic > Breton and Welsh
    Indo-European > Celtic > Gaelic > Manx

...are the relevant groupings.

ReputationRep:
    I knew 2 out if the 3 lol ... just wasn't sure about the Manx

btw, are you a student of languages by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    I knew 2 out if the 3 lol ... just wasn't sure about the Manx

btw, are you a student of languages by any chance?
    I'm doing a gap year at the moment, but I'm off to study French & Russian at Bristol in October. I'm also dangerously obsessed with linguistics.

ReputationRep:
    Britonic Gaelic does not exist anymore than does 'Germanic French', 'Romance Norwegian' or 'Greek Basque'. Breton, Welsh and Cornish are Britonic/Brythonic languages. Scottish, Irish and Manx are Gaelic/Goidelic languages. English has loan words from both Scottish and Irish forms of Gaelic, and the unified Gaelic language which preceded it. Im not sure about the situation with regard to the Britonic languages but i dont doubt it also has loanwords from them.

ReputationRep:
    Breton, Welsh and Cornish are all forms of Gaelic.

ReputationRep:
    Breton, Welsh and Cornish are all forms of Gaelic.
    No, they're Britonic languages, part of the Celtic grouping.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.