The Student Room Group

If you've never had a relationship by 20 does it mean you're ugly?

BTW i'm one of these people (in case you think i'm trying to mock). Well, I'm 19, never kissed anybody, never had a gf etc. I usually put it down to having low self esteem but I'm starting to think I'm just ugly.

What do you think anyway?
Reply 1
pics? for better judgement? but seriously i'm sure ms right hasn't appeared yet
Reply 2
Original post by precious7

I really don't want to post pics here. Girls have told me I'm hot in the past but I persuade myself it's because they're desperate/have low standards.
Reply 3
Original post by precious7

Several 'ms rights' have come and gone and i just end up not doing anything about it, hoping that something will magically happen. And when nothing happens i just get more depressed.
I am also one of these people and am ugly, so that supports your theory.
Reply 5
no, reason being that even if someone is "ugly" by someone else's standards, there will be other "ugly" people for them as well. I work in a shop...some chav couples I see look almost sub-human, I imagine partly from a few generations of inbreeding depression. Now they are together, so really even if you are rather unattractive, it isn't a barrier to anyone ever wanting to be with you.

I wouldn't consider myself attractive, not ugly, but not desirable. My first serious relationship didn't start until I was 19 going on 20. Now what if I hadn't met that person? I have no interest in anyone else, and thus if I hadn't got with them, I'd be 20 and in your position, which is only a difference of a year really.

So no...I really doubt your ugly. But your lack of self confidence and self esteem because you doubt yourself, may be reflected in how you behave.
No, in my case it genuinely meant I hadn't met the right person. I didn't get a boyfriend til I was 20 and just never felt ready to have those experimental relationships teenagers have, and was always too shy to make a move even when I knew boys fancied me back. Weirdly when I met my first and current boyfriend we got on so well and I felt so comfortable that it was actually me who made the first move, and now I'm thankful I waited it out as I am extremely happy and treated really well by my boyfriend, which is far better than a lot of girl mates' earlier relationships.

So it could just be a case of not having met the right person or not having subconsciously been ready for a relationship. It'll happen eventually and unexpectedly, as is the cliche.
No, I was an equally late starter despite being relatively good looking. A lot of it boils down to self-esteem and taking the chances that come your way.

Improving your looks does help though, there's no doubt about it. Deck yourself out in good clothes and get a smart haircut and I bet you'll get a fair bit more attention.
Reply 8
I haven't, but would you say I was ugly? I certainly wouldn't!
I'm 21 and I haven't ever been in a relationship either. I just put it down to the right person not having come along yet :smile:
Reply 10
I've never had a relationship or a date. I am a loner with no friends and not much of a life. This means I have no confidence to approach girls as i have nothing whatsoever to offer them! I'm trying hard to change that by getting a decent job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending