Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those of you in university, what's your major? Major is what we call your field of study in canada, like what specific program of study you are in, if any. I don't know if you call it the same in europe. I'm curious what everyone does. For those in high school still, what do you want to major in? Also I'm curious; do you have to pay for uni?, how much is it?, and how good are the universities that are available to you?

ReputationRep:
    going to study engineering, but as a job i am going to do magic, just interested in engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intermittent)
    For those of you in university, what's your major? Major is what we call your field of study in canada, like what specific program of study you are in, if any. I don't know if you call it the same in europe. I'm curious what everyone does. For those in high school still, what do you want to major in? Also I'm curious; do you have to pay for uni?, how much is it?, and how good are the universities that are available to you?
    My major was in ICT, though I'm currently taking Literature at university. It's a strange set-up I know (best not to ask ). The course I'm taking costs £1,100 per year, and it's a 3-year course. I applied for student help as my family income is under a certain amount, so I only paid £640.

ReputationRep:
    I think we just call is our degree or whatever in the UK, Uni over here seems to work quite differently to in the US and Canada. I'm hopefully going to do a Politics degree starting in September.

Everybody in the Uk (and EU students too I think) pays between something like £1,250 (not sure of the exact amount, it goes up with inflation) and nothing, depending on how much their parents earn. After 2006, that's going to change to a maximum of £3000, but paid after graduation rather than upfront.

Although foreign students in the UK have to pay a lot more than that... it varies depending on the University and the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Although foreign students in the UK have to pay a lot more than that... it varies depending on the University and the course.
    Are you sure? I'm sure I read a thing somewhere saying that right now at least it's the same for everybody.

Of course, foreign students would have to pay more for travel and stuff.

I'm still at high school. I'm thinking of engineering because maths and physics are two of my best subjects. Or I might do physics, but I'm not sure if there's anything useful (and relevant) to do with a physics degree except for teach it and research it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Are you sure? I'm sure I read a thing somewhere saying that right now at least it's the same for everybody.

I'm pretty sure that foreign students have to pay quite a bit more- unless they're from the EU, when I think they get the home rate.

ReputationRep:

I'm still at high school. I'm thinking of engineering because maths and physics are two of my best subjects. Or I might do physics, but I'm not sure if there's anything useful (and relevant) to do with a physics degree except for teach it and research it...
    No, overseas students pay full fees. I think it's around six or seven thousand pounds a year, although I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying with the Open University from Spain and I pay a lot more than British. I'm planing to get a BSc Information Technology and Computing sometime in the future hehe.
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    No, overseas students pay full fees. I think it's around six or seven thousand pounds a year, although I'm not sure.
    Oh, ok.

Well that's nasty.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh, ok.

Well that's nasty.
    Not really - UK and EU students are subsidised by the government - the government can't afford to subsidise the vast numbers of students from places like China and India who would like to study here so universities have to charge the full costs.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to study psychology in september- either at Warwick or Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Not really - UK and EU students are subsidised by the government - the government can't afford to subsidise the vast numbers of students from places like China and India who would like to study here so universities have to charge the full costs.
    Okay.

Erm, yeah, ok.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy here

ReputationRep:

If you think like that, well then pretty much every degree is useless apart from medicine and the like. There are many non-degree specific jobs out there ya know, and the employers do value a good phys degree

ReputationRep:
    For those of you in university, what's your major? Major is what we call your field of study in canada, like what specific program of study you are in, if any. I don't know if you call it the same in europe. I'm curious what everyone does.
    I'm doing a psychology degree but with philosophy subsiduary modules - psychology is effectively my major, but I don't get the philosophy recognised on my degree like I would if I was doing a joint honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    If you think like that, well then pretty much every degree is useless apart from medicine and the like. There are many non-degree specific jobs out there ya know, and the employers do value a good phys degree
    "We're fighting soldiers in petticoats.
    Shoulder to shoulder for women’s votes.
    Although we adore men individually,
    we all agree that as a group they're rather stupid. "

The last word in the "song" breaks down the internal rhythm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Yeah but I don't want to be a businessperson who has a title and doesn't have any speciality in particular.

I'd rather be a professional.

ReputationRep:
    Ya I always thought government subsidized university for many europeans, I think it does here as well to some degree. Undergrad (normal) university costs about $450/class. The average full-time student takes 5 classes, making it $2250 CND (canadian)approx/semester. I don't know what that is in 'quib' or euro. Dumb question: Does the UK use the euro? I'm a medical student, my fees are $9400 CDN, but I revcieved $4500 in scholarships, so that helps. Supposedly it costs the government about $100 000 per student per year to put a med student through school, so at that rate I can't complain. I lived in Germany for a short while, a bunch of Germans told me they go to uni for free there, does that go for any other european country?

Funny enough, my favorite subjects in undergrad (we have to do 2 years here minimum before you can apply to med) were calculus and physics, I don't even like science! It's a good job though, and I love the opportunities that come with it, so I did it. Also I believe God had a role in there, anyhoo I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Im an overseas student and im goin to do Economics and finance, ive got to pay around 10,000 pounds, and this is not including accomodation which is around 90 pounds a week at the uni that i want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redballs)
    going to study engineering, but as a job i am going to do magic, just interested in engineering
    errm y on earth do u want to do magic when uve got an engineering degree !!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.