Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Listening to a news item that the gov is prpeparing a bill for early next year to register and tax push bikes for people over the age of 14.

In a way it is a good idea that will allow more prosecutions for people riding without due care and attention/etc or light. The rumoured figure was 70 to 80 pounds which imo will be 50 quid as the gov is testing the water. As for anyhting lower than that, it will not be cost effective.

I will try and find a link to the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curry4You)
    Listening to a news item that the gov is prpeparing a bill for early next year to register and tax push bikes for people over the age of 14.

In a way it is a good idea that will allow more prosecutions for people riding without due care and attention/etc or light. The rumoured figure was 70 to 80 pounds which imo will be 50 quid as the gov is testing the water. As for anyhting lower than that, it will not be cost effective.

I will try and find a link to the story.
    That's ridiculous.What next?Taxing fresh air?Taxing people who use the pavements to walk to work?

I thought there was a government scheme to encourage cycling?:rolleyes:

(Original post by cherrychocolate)
    I thought there was a government scheme to encourage cycling?:rolleyes:
    Exactly. Taxing cycling is probably going to make people less likely to want to give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hope this is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    You know, ordinarily I'd know you were taking the piss...

...but these days anything is possible in this ****hole of a country.

Oh, on second thoughts, I do still know that you're taking the piss.

Hehehe, this shows just how gullible I am. As you said, anything could happen in this country.

ReputationRep:
    No

Joke

I found a link last night, searching again as i could not log in here - busy at the mo in my IT class

Ms is trying to look overy my shoulder the silly ?

ReputationRep:
    There need to be more coherent governace here.

Why is the government, if it is so commited to encouraging people out of their cars through taxation at the same time providing disincentives to riding on the train (consider the propsed congestion charge for train users) and now this!

ReputationRep:
    Was it in the Sun by any chance, OP?

If every cyclist stayed on the left, signalled and rode single file, then I wouldnt feel the need to run them over every morning.

Try driving in Cambridge at 8.45 over the railway bridge.

[/rant]

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.