Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    and if i hear Sugar We're going down one more time ill stab myself, hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    Hate to be musically elitist because i really cant stand it but it annoys me how everyone is jumping on the FOB bandwagon i had their albums last summer and loads of people at myt school are like "omgee FOB are The Best NeW BaND EvArrR!!!!1111" So annoying. Also Panic! were out ages ago some of their tour dates were before the video came on tv now everyone is like OMG. Im sick of people just going through bands for the fad then dropping them as soon as the new "cool" band comes out.

the reason they've only just got big is because on 'evening out' the songwriting roles were switched, and it was gash.

the reason they are getting big is because they're pop as ****.

if you want to like bands just because they're underground, get a fringe and listen to bands like the locust/an albatross/gay for jonny depp. can't see them making it big any time soon.

I always think it's better when bands get big because then you have more fans to discuss them with. The only problem comes when you hear their music on adverts all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    Hate to be musically elitist because i really cant stand it but it annoys me how everyone is jumping on the FOB bandwagon i had their albums last summer and loads of people at myt school are like "omgee FOB are The Best NeW BaND EvArrR!!!!1111" So annoying. Also Panic! were out ages ago some of their tour dates were before the video came on tv now everyone is like OMG. Im sick of people just going through bands for the fad then dropping them as soon as the new "cool" band comes out.
    actually, i first heard about FOB about this time last year although admittedly, i only got in p!atd in december

Im sick of people just going through bands for the fad then dropping them as soon as the new "cool" band comes out.
    What you see as people 'jumping on the bandwagon' is probably nothing more than people discovering that music for the first time because it's been brought to their attention, and there's nothing wrong with that. I doubt they drop them completely when they find something new.

ReputationRep:
    last summer? wasnt that when they dropped out of playing a leeds main stage slot to play the mtv awards instead.

yeah, you were really underground... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclearbuddha)
    What you see as people 'jumping on the bandwagon' is probably nothing more than people discovering that music for the first time because it's been brought to their attention, and there's nothing wrong with that. I doubt they drop them completely when they find something new.
    I agree, It's more about the music being brought to people's attention. People have got to find out about bands from somewhere. I hadn't heard of P!ATD until a couple of months ago, and when I did hear them I really liked them. Nothing at all to do with the fact that other people like them too. I like what I like, regardless of other people's opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Good job she was asking where she could buy the album, not to have her musical tastes critiqued then, right?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't stand Fall Out Boy; they sound to me like a bazillion other bands.
    If they happen to be a bazillion other bands you like, what's the problem?

But I DO like their new single and I WILL be buying it.
    Even though is sounds like a bazillion other bands? It's the most generic track on the album.

It reminds me of... Something Corporate, I think.
    Have you heard anything by Something Corporate??? Which song in particular are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLeigh)

Even though is sounds like a bazillion other bands? It's the most generic track on the album.
    agreed. id say that sugar is one of the weaker tracks on the the album

Have you heard anything by Something Corporate??? Which song in particular are you thinking of?
    ditto. im a big fan of SoCo and their stuff is a lot more chilled out than sugar

ReputationRep:
    and if i hear Sugar We're going down one more time ill stab myself, hard.
    no...thats not the emo thing to do! :p: *hands over razor*

ReputationRep:
    slightly off the subject, but do you think FOB and P!ATD are emo because i wouldnt say they are at all and i was having a little debate about this earlier and was wondering what others thought

(Original post by KingLeigh)
    The problem is that we need a little more originality.

And? I like it so I will buy the single. I like the structure of the sentences in the chorus; that's NOT like a bazillion other bands.

Of course I have; if I hadn't, I wouldn't have compared the two. And if you read my post, I said I THINK it may have been Something Corporate. They may sound like another band to me but I can't remember who it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    slightly off the subject, but do you think FOB and P!ATD are emo because i wouldnt say they are at all and i was having a little debate about this earlier and was wondering what others thought
    no. theyre not. theyre pop-rock. nowhere near emo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    My musical classification is a little warped, so I've seen in online discussions. It all makes perfect sense to me, but would seem I heard these labels and attached them to music differently to other people.

I do call FOB "emo", but can see why they'd be stuck in with punk-pop. The music is very pop punk, but I put most of the classification down to the lyrics. They are, on the most part, a bit darker/less fluffy than most pop bands, hence them getting straddled across my emo/punk pop genre boundary.

P!ATD are similar, but while they're lyrics are a bit more technical and... weird?... they aren't as dark on the most part, but then their music isn't as pop - lots of classical piano, techno, whatever. I guess people would say it's still pop-punk, which I guess it is, but at the moment, I'm still at the phase of just enjoying them for being Panic! At The Disco.
    Oh Well.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I have; if I hadn't, I wouldn't have compared the two. And if you read my post, I said I THINK it may have been Something Corporate. They may sound like another band to me but I can't remember who it is.
    Apologies, that was harsher than it was intended. May want to have a look though, I personally don't think it's likely to be SoCo you're thinking of.

(EDIT: Can't get used to this no-automerge thing, sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    No-one cares.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.