The Student Room Group

Excluding Bibliography and Appendix from wordcount in MS Word...

Hi Guys...

Does anyone have any idea how I can exclude my bibliography and below (appendices) from the wordcount.

Obviously I can put them on another document, but I am using a lot of automation in my document (automatic contents page, automatic sourcing, automatic cross-referencing for figures in appendix), also using an automatic word count field on my cover page which needs to be accurate.

Any advice, would be much appreciated!

D
Reply 1
Original post by thisaintnoparty
Hi Guys...

Does anyone have any idea how I can exclude my bibliography and below (appendices) from the wordcount.

Obviously I can put them on another document, but I am using a lot of automation in my document (automatic contents page, automatic sourcing, automatic cross-referencing for figures in appendix), also using an automatic word count field on my cover page which needs to be accurate.

Any advice, would be much appreciated!

D

Just select the parts that you don't want to include and subtract it from the total word count. I'm not sure if there's a more elegant solution, I'm afraid.
Yeah, that means I have to do it everytime I have to wordcount.
And will have to change the number everytime in my wordcount on my cover page, which shows my lecturer that I could be lying about it.
Reply 3
And will have to change the number everytime in my wordcount on my cover page, which shows my lecturer that I could be lying about it.

This may be useful: http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office/49421-word-count-particular-style.html
That might work, but I have a Mac... and I don't even have the first part of the instructions.
Nevermind.
Reply 5

Unless they've asked for automatic wordcount why would a manual one be a problem? They've usually got a highly developed spider sense for word counts +/- 10% anyway.
Imo you'd spend your time better working on the actual text if the hand in is looming.
I just type the word count at the bottom of the essay/report etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending