Excluding Bibliography and Appendix from wordcount in MS Word...

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
thisaintnoparty
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi Guys...

Does anyone have any idea how I can exclude my bibliography and below (appendices) from the wordcount.

Obviously I can put them on another document, but I am using a lot of automation in my document (automatic contents page, automatic sourcing, automatic cross-referencing for figures in appendix), also using an automatic word count field on my cover page which needs to be accurate.

Any advice, would be much appreciated!

D
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thisaintnoparty)
Hi Guys...

Does anyone have any idea how I can exclude my bibliography and below (appendices) from the wordcount.

Obviously I can put them on another document, but I am using a lot of automation in my document (automatic contents page, automatic sourcing, automatic cross-referencing for figures in appendix), also using an automatic word count field on my cover page which needs to be accurate.

Any advice, would be much appreciated!

D
Just select the parts that you don't want to include and subtract it from the total word count. I'm not sure if there's a more elegant solution, I'm afraid.
thisaintnoparty
Rep:
Yeah, that means I have to do it everytime I have to wordcount.
And will have to change the number everytime in my wordcount on my cover page, which shows my lecturer that I could be lying about it.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
And will have to change the number everytime in my wordcount on my cover page, which shows my lecturer that I could be lying about it.
This may be useful: http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-o...lar-style.html
thisaintnoparty
Rep:
That might work, but I have a Mac... and I don't even have the first part of the instructions.
Nevermind.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Unless they've asked for automatic wordcount why would a manual one be a problem? They've usually got a highly developed spider sense for word counts +/- 10% anyway.
Imo you'd spend your time better working on the actual text if the hand in is looming.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I just type the word count at the bottom of the essay/report etc.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (16)
23.19%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.14%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.8%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.49%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
23.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
23.19%

Watched Threads