Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Yes i'm using a macbook and it's my first mac. I couldnt find an option for 'two finger tapping' to right click, but i've set it so if i have 2 fingers on the pad while i click, it counts as a double click

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I'm using numbers on iwork 08 - a few questions.

How do i 'undo'?
    How do i flick between cells without using the mouse everytime - like on Excel you can flick using the arrows.?
    How do i put 'boarders' around a specific area to make a table appearance and allowing me to make a few tables on the same sheet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrantMac)
    Thank you. Yes i'm using a macbook and it's my first mac. I couldnt find an option for 'two finger tapping' to right click, but i've set it so if i have 2 fingers on the pad while i click, it counts as a double click
    System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Trackpad > "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click"

That should do it. Add the "use two fingers to scroll" one as well, it's handy.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I'm using numbers on iwork 08 - a few questions.

How do i 'undo'?
    How do i flick between cells without using the mouse everytime - like on Excel you can flick using the arrows.?
    How do i put 'boarders' around a specific area to make a table appearance and allowing me to make a few tables on the same sheet?
    1. Apple-Z is undo for everything on the Mac. Or you can click Edit in the menubar and select undo.

2. Use the arrow keys.

3. The button for borders is just below 'Shapes' in the toolbar. You can adjust the style of border, thickness etc. If you want more than one table, click Insert > Table and choose your style. Or just click the 'Tables' button in the toolbar.

Regarding some common keyboard shortcuts. (remember Apple = command = CMD button..all the same)

Apple-Q quits the application
    Apple-M minimises the window
    Apple-H hides the application (very useful if you want it out of the way but dont want to actually close it and lose your data)
    Apple-C copies
    Apple-V pastes
    Apple-Z undo
    Apple-P print
    Apple-A selects all text
    Apple-F is to search for something on the page (browser)
    Apple-R reloads the page in your browser
    Apple-L takes you directly to the address bar in your browser
    Apple-? opens up Help for that application (this is amazing in Leopard)
    Apple-Spacebar opens Spotlight (unless you run Quicksilver :cool: )
    Apple-Tab (left of the Q on the Macbook), switches between your applications. You can also do this visually by pressing F9 for Exposé, and then pressing Tab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Project)
    1. Apple-Z is undo for everything on the Mac. Or you can click Edit in the menubar and select undo.

2. Use the arrow keys.
    3. The button for borders is just below 'Shapes' in the toolbar. You can adjust the style of border, thickness etc. If you want more than one table, click Insert > Table and choose your style. Or just click the 'Tables' button in the toolbar.

Regarding some common keyboard shortcuts. (remember Apple = command = CMD button..all the same)

Apple-Q quits the application
    Apple-M minimises the window
    Apple-H hides the application (very useful if you want it out of the way but dont want to actually close it and lose your data)
    Apple-C copies
    Apple-V pastes
    Apple-Z undo
    Apple-P print
    Apple-A selects all text
    Apple-F is to search for something on the page (browser)
    Apple-R reloads the page in your browser
    Apple-L takes you directly to the address bar in your browser
    Apple-? opens up Help for that application (this is amazing in Leopard)
    Apple-Spacebar opens Spotlight (unless you run Quicksilver :cool: )
    Apple-Tab (left of the Q on the Macbook), switches between your applications. You can also do this visually by pressing F9 for Exposé, and then pressing Tab
    Thank you. For the borders thing. I'm using the button under 'shapes', so i highlight the table then click there to get the options. - 2 problems. It gives the option to have an outer border, or an inner border, but not both. And when i highlight, then select an option, it displays, but as soon as i click off the change disappears

ReputationRep:
    Another one, how do you do tertiary fuctions for buttons on the keyboard. Like shift does secondary, and on windows Ctrl + alt does tertiary.

I mean like the euro symbol

ReputationRep:
    Another one, how do you do tertiary fuctions for buttons on the keyboard. Like shift does secondary, and on windows Ctrl + alt does tertiary.

I mean like the euro symbol
    Three seconds of experimentation shows me that you press the Alt key and the number two key to get the Euro.

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed that Sony have updated their line of MP3 players so you no longer have to use Sonicstage - yay! I've been after a Sony mp3 player for ages, and since I got my Macbook Pro I was worried that I would be forced into getting an iPod. Clicky. They also have some smaller ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbtommyb)
    Three seconds of experimentation shows me that you press the Alt key and the number two key to get the Euro.

Thank you. I tried various combinations with the Ctrl and alt keys, but most involved the apple key - which seems to be the key for most doors here

Hey mac users, have a bit of a question for you a couple of years ago (maybe a quite a few months) I remember a m8 of mine telling me, that you can take software off of any mac by backing it up on any external HDD and then you can put it on any other mac by just copying and pasting (or something along those lines). Is this true? Surely that sounds a bit to easy to break various laws!

ReputationRep:
    Em, well, a lot of programs are installed by just copying the .dmg file into the applications folder, but more complicated ones need to be installed like in Windows. I imagine something like Photoshop would be much more complicated than a simple drag and drop. I've never used it however, so I don't really know. They would have the same protection as the Windows version, wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzi123)
    Hey mac users, have a bit of a question for you a couple of years ago (maybe a quite a few months) I remember a m8 of mine telling me, that you can take software off of any mac by backing it up on any external HDD and then you can put it on any other mac by just copying and pasting (or something along those lines). Is this true? Surely that sounds a bit to easy to break various laws!
    Depends. Most Mac software is relatively easy to copy, and the Hackintosh / serialz community keep up with finding serials and cracks for most Mac software without massive amounts of difficulty. That's partly because the 'copy protection' stuff that people use on Windows is usually completely inelegant hacks that just make it crap for ordinary users but don't really cause much problem for those who don't want to pay for the software. If you have a well-built OS, opportunities for crappy copy protection hacks should technically go down.

Also, in my experience, Mac users are more likely to pay for software, so most of the vendors don't worry about it. Certainly not for stuff that's under $100 (Adobe Suite, Office etc. are probably nabbed a lot more). I know a lot of people who use Macs who are fine with paying $10, $20 etc. for good shareware, but don't think twice about nabbing Office or Photoshop. Also, since there's now GIMPshop and iWork/NeoOffice, there's less reason to...

ReputationRep:
    I have to download some stuff on my mac for uni that is only in MS powerpoint on office. Also i want to transfer stuff to and from my desktop pc.

At the moment it is ok, because i got some Mac office 30 day trial thing the first time i downloaded an office file. However, this runs out soon, what do i do then? Surely i don't have to buy mac office ? I was sure that you could open files in their respective counterparts, otherwise it would be a major reason not to get a mac.

ReputationRep:
    Mac Office is about £90 for the student version. Or you can buy iWork '08 for £35, with the higher education discount. iWork will open and save PowerPoint, Word and Excel files.

ReputationRep:
    Or alternatively download NeoOffice, which is a free office suite and adequately capable, which supports all the Microsoft file formats (although perhaps not the newer Office 2007 file formats as of yet - you'd have to check up on that).

NeoOffice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I already have iwork, but things have been opening in office things on a trial thing so thought they wouldnt open in iwork.

Could somebody tell me how to set up double spacing and how to 'undo an undo' i.e. redo on pages? thanks

Hey, can anyone tell me what to do here. When I choose to download something off a webpage, and choose save to disk, it always save it to the desktop. Is there any way of saving it to a specific folder?

which web browser are you using? if its firefox then simply open firefox and click:

Firefox (top bar) > Preferences > Main > (change the Save files to: to a folder that you create somewhere)

that will then be where all your downloads go directly to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzi786)
    Hey, can anyone tell me what to do here. When I choose to download something off a webpage, and choose save to disk, it always save it to the desktop. Is there any way of saving it to a specific folder?
    "Safari" menu --> Preferences --> General --> Save downloaded files to... --> "other"

I use both, but FF mainly, thanks guys!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.