Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got money sitting in a savings account ready to get a macbook as soon as they're revised. There's definately something spectacular over the horizon, whether or not the spectacular things are to do with apple notebooks or other apple products remains to be seen. Definately hold onto your cash for now, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    Apparently we can expect a PDA/Tablet PC kind of thing as well.
    Sorry, but I can't see that at all.

The iPod Touch is already pretty much a fully fledged PDA, with maps, calendar, contacts, email, etc. so I can't really see Apple bringing something out to rival their own products. When you look at the company, each product they have is for completely different types of people.

Also, the macbook air isn't far off a Tablet PC. Even if it is bigger, there's tons more functionality, and you get the perks of a bigger computer, without having to lug something around with you.

Finally, both items you mentioned have a bad reputation for usability. While Apple could therefore potentially revolutionise the markets therefore (again!), I couldn't see them doing it with established formats. I would think if they were going to bring out something new, they would want it to completely break the mould.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into getting the cheapest Macbook but I keep hearing that they are going to revise them soon. Shall I wait...?

ReputationRep:
    Johnny, as I said, I'm just passing on what I heard- I make no claims about the reliablilty of those rumours.

Greatest, in short, yes. Keep your money. Steve Jobs has said there's some new stuff coming and if it's linked to notebooks in any way you'll kick yourself in 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Finally, both items you mentioned have a bad reputation for usability. While Apple could therefore potentially revolutionise the markets therefore (again!), I couldn't see them doing it with established formats. I would think if they were going to bring out something new, they would want it to completely break the mould.
    The same could be said about the Smartphone/PDA market pre iPhone.

Although I don't expect a tablet mac from Apple anytime soon. If you DO desperately want a tablet mac, there's a US company that mods them for you. http://www.axiotron.com/

Right now the rumors are pointing to new MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iPods in September.

IMac updates usually follow pretty soon after MacBook Pro updates (or vice versa) due to them using the same internal hardware.

The Mac Pro probably won't be updated until the workstation Nehalem chips are released (although Apple will probably get a bit of a head start over rival manufacturers) and since release dates for those are quite vague right now, it'll take a while. I wouldn't expect new Mac Pros until Q1 2009 at the earliest.

The Mac Mini is *loooong* overdue an update. A lot of people are convinced its going to be end-of-lined but I'm not so sure. Its still the most popular bought desktop on Amazon.com for one - so a lot of people are still buying them. I think most people buying Mac Minis don't particularly care about the specs of it or how long its been since it was last updated (360 days as of writing).

Its also about time the Apple Cinema Displays were updated - its been 485 days now. Rumors of new ones with iSights built in have been around for years now If they do update them, I reckon they'd probably do it at the same time as the Mac Pros so not before Q1 2009 by my reckoning.

ReputationRep:
    Macbook updates in September sounds about right, not to mention perfect for my timeframe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanky Deluxe)
    The Mac Mini is *loooong* overdue an update. A lot of people are convinced its going to be end-of-lined but I'm not so sure. Its still the most popular bought desktop on Amazon.com for one - so a lot of people are still buying them. I think most people buying Mac Minis don't particularly care about the specs of it or how long its been since it was last updated (360 days as of writing).
    Noooo!

Still, at least if they are it should mean I can pick one up for a bargain.... :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be so sure about being a bargain, popular old mac models can remain quite expensive. IMac G4's still pull a premium due to their iconic looks. I'd still really like another mini to go under the TV, either that or an AppleTV. I used to have a 1.66GHz CD Mini before I got my Mac Pro and I absolutely loved it, such a great size!

ReputationRep:
    Ooo can I join with my White MacBook brought a year or so ago

However that battory which used to last 6 hours now lasts 4 and a half Other than that super bit of kit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanky Deluxe)
    I wouldn't be so sure about being a bargain, popular old mac models can remain quite expensive. IMac G4's still pull a premium due to their iconic looks. I'd still really like another mini to go under the TV, either that or an AppleTV. I used to have a 1.66GHz CD Mini before I got my Mac Pro and I absolutely loved it, such a great size!
    The sole reason I want one is for under my TV. I just think it's such a great idea!

And it's not all bad news then, as I should get a good chunk of money when I sell my G4!

ReputationRep:
    Macbook and iMac user here may i join?

ReputationRep:
    Just got a MacBook
    Can anyone recommend a good download manager for Mac? I download a lot via Rapidshare you see, so I want a decent, simple manager like Window's FlashGet.

ReputationRep:
    I want to join.
    White MacBook - iCustomised the Front

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _MaLc_)
    Just got a MacBook
    Can anyone recommend a good download manager for Mac? I download a lot via Rapidshare you see, so I want a decent, simple manager like Window's FlashGet.
    If you're happy to pay, I'd recommend Speed Download 5. It fits right in with the look of a Mac, is pretty seamless with most browsers, and just does the job really well. I also seem to remember that I could use the demo for ages without paying for it, but that was a little while ago now.

As for free ones, there's several on shareware that don't really have any drawbacks if you don't pay, like iGetter. Aside from that, check out some of the excellent fee applications websites for macs - there should be plenty.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    I'll join, I have my macbook now! 2.0GHz Aluminium Case 2GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HDD.

Adoring Leopard. So yeah, sign me up!

ReputationRep:
    macbook black 13.3"
    loving it
    been a user for almost a year now

ReputationRep:
    Just got a MacBook
    wget and curl.

I've got Speed Download, but I tend to just use curl. Leecher is meant to be quite good though - a friend of mine who's not very command line savvy uses it for all his Rapidsharing. For Rapidshare, I just use the browser.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to get an @mac.com account? I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find out how

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to get an @mac.com account? I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find out how
    I am pretty sure it's the old version of mobileMe. Correct me if I'm wrong though...
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Searching for .mac email account brings up mobileme as the first option....

ReputationRep:
    You're correct. MobileMe used to be called .Mac (dot-Mac). AFAIK if you get a MobileMe account, you can still send to [email protected], but no guarantees on that.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.