Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I prefer the half blue / white one that someone has in their avatar.
    Agreed. It looks nuch slicker - the grey one looks dull.

ReputationRep:
    You gotta love em...

My dad is a planner by trade, and when the apple macs came along, it pretty much made him redundent...

But he still loves the machines!... magical lol

ReputationRep:
    All the other socs need a good logo to be flashy. We rely on the amazingness of the mac. Dont be superficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stravinsky)
    All the other socs need a good logo to be flashy. We rely on the amazingness of the mac. Dont be superficial.
    I love Macs even though I don't have one yet (I'm waiting for the first round of upgrades to the iMacs to iron out all the problems and to save up enough money to get a nice 20" one with 2Gb of Ram, etc), but you've got to say that a lot of people buy the Macs quite significantly on looks - now they've switched to Intel processors, they can't even claim to be quicker than regular PCs as if I recall correctly, they changed from RISC to CISC processing with the new architecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pratikv)
    I love Macs even though I don't have one yet (I'm waiting for the first round of upgrades to the iMacs to iron out all the problems and to save up enough money to get a nice 20" one with 2Gb of Ram, etc), but you've got to say that a lot of people buy the Macs quite significantly on looks - now they've switched to Intel processors, they can't even claim to be quicker than regular PCs as if I recall correctly, they changed from RISC to CISC processing with the new architecture.
    Im using an intel one now...

Fastest mac ive used (apart from the xserve lol)... and im still running powerpc software though the rosetta emulator.... VERY VERY fast machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfgang)
    Im using an intel one now...

Fastest mac ive used (apart from the xserve lol)... and im still running powerpc software though the rosetta emulator.... VERY VERY fast machine.
    That's rubbish - the programmes running under Rosetta, eg. Photoshop run at less than half the speed of what they would on the PowerPC architecture with a 2.1Ghz G5 chip.

Check this site: and read page 2:
    http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/feat...est1/index.php

The Intel iMacs run programmes which hae become native on them faster than the old ones (apparently between a 10-30% speed improvement), and I've played about with them and stuff like iMovie HD, etc run noticably quicker, but the stuff running under Rosetta is going at a poor speed - you don't really notice it on stuff like Mac Office, but it's very noticeable in Photoshop.

ReputationRep:
    sign me up... i love my mac

ReputationRep:
    Honestly... my photoshop is excellent on this!

Are you having any trouble with Safari bombing out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfgang)
    Honestly... my photoshop is excellent on this!

Are you having any trouble with Safari bombing out?
    Did you visit the link I gave you mate? It really isn't that quick, in fact it's much slower than an equivalent G5 iMac as it's not running native - what are you doing on it anyway? What Mac system are you comparing it to when you say that it's running loads quicker?

Hey, I joined yesterday, I think

ibook G4 12" here Along with an ipod G3 30 GB and ipod G4 40 GB.

I want a MacBook pro

ReputationRep:
    I use to not mind them, but now I don't like Macs But I have to use them anyway now that I bought an iPod shuffle :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    I use to not mind them, but now I don't like Macs But I have to use them anyway now that I bought an iPod shuffle :rolleyes:
    Why do you need to use it now that you've bought an iPod shuffle? They work with both PCs and Macs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pratikv)
    Why do you need to use it now that you've bought an iPod shuffle? They work with both PCs and Macs.
    The PC's at my uni are a bit dated but yeah I guess I could try it out hay.

ReputationRep:
    has anybody visited the new mac centre in Brent Cross, London, is it better than the one on Oxford street, more importantly is it worth visiting

ReputationRep:
    The only Apple store I've been to is the one in Bluewater Shopping Centre, Kent - I bought my PB from there.

However, we bought the laptop one month after the shop opened. We asked to have an extra 512Mb RAM fitted, but they fitted it to the wrong laptop :mad: - I only found this out when we got back home, a 1 hour+ journey (plus £1 toll). Luckily, after a few angry phonecalls, they sent an engineer up (who lived near us! He came up on his way home from work) to fit the RAM on our kitchen table. We also got a 10% money off voucher

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a result thomasp.

I had my PB keyboard replaced at Bluewater - it's a much calmer store than Regent St - I hate it in there, always so busy, you can never get to the Genius Bar, I don't even think they do repairs onsite, and it's just like a free Internet cafe with all the tourists in there checking their email. :rolleyes:

Plus I know the manager of the Bluewater store from when we worked for Orange.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll join too Proud owner of an iMac Intel 20" and a Powerbook G4

ReputationRep:
    The Soc is still not listed...

ReputationRep:
    the soc is listed on page 2. you will notice how many people have the logo in my societies, so they must be joining somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    My mates Intel Mac has just been delayed (from the Wednesday just gone to the 21st March 06. Severe delay causes for an upgrade of RAM FOC

And more potential bad news for Apple users who use iChat (I don't):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4723390.stm

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.