Turn on thread page Beta

Mac users Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    My mates Intel Mac has just been delayed (from the Wednesday just gone to the 21st March 06. Severe delay causes for an upgrade of RAM FOC

And more potential bad news for Apple users who use iChat (I don't):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4723390.stm
    I am not worrying about that virus (mainly because I use iChat). As long as you don't run it, it won't infect your system.

To be honest, if people are willing to download random files from unknown sources (especially when a JPEG turns out to be an executable), they probably deserve to get a virus on their computer.

It's a shame Apple can't issue a patch against human stupidity

</rant>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    I am not worrying about that virus (mainly because I use iChat). As long as you don't run it, it won't infect your system.

To be honest, if people are willing to download random files from unknown sources (especially when a JPEG turns out to be an executable), they probably deserve to get a virus on their computer.

It's a shame Apple can't issue a patch against human stupidity

</rant>
    I second that. If it was a real virus though (ie, one that didn't need stupid people to work) then Apple would already have released a patch for it.

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting an Apple laptop they are SO much cooler than and P.C laptops on the market.

What I want to know is a couple of things? they may seem stupid but i dont know that much about computers!

1. Can I install Microsoft Word on a apple mac? or do I only have the ability to use iWork

2. Say I have a windows media player file on my computer would I be able to play this on the apple laptop? would I have to revert it to quicktime? is this possible? or would they be no good at all.

ReputationRep:
    1. You can buy Microsoft Office for Mac - the student version costs around £90 - £100, and the standard version (identical) costs about £300. You cannot upgrade the student version, yet you can upgrade the standard version.

2. You can download Windows Media Player from various websites

ReputationRep:
    Download VLC media player (Google it). It can play almost anything. Windows media player for Mac isn't every good though. It can't play files made with the most recent file, but most are OK.

If you can, convert the files to another format to be sure they'll work.

ReputationRep:
    iBook G4 14" user here. I also have a G3 iPod 15GB.

ReputationRep:
    OK - my bestest buddy has just got his Intel MacBook Pro.

Few extra things within the dock with a nicer resolution. Sound quality is definitely up, and the camera quality is certainly nothing but exceptional. I also love the infrared control, whereby there is no clicking the mouse or using the touchpad to make selections.

IMO - nice machine, little expensive for £1450, but its a looker and it will certainly compete for many years to come.
    His machine compared to mine (g4 powerbook), I didn't notice that much speed difference at first glance, but when it comes to executing a million processes, I'm sure his will obliterate mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    OK - my bestest buddy has just got his Intel MacBook Pro.

Few extra things within the dock with a nicer resolution. Sound quality is definitely up, and the camera quality is certainly nothing but exceptional. I also love the infrared control, whereby there is no clicking the mouse or using the touchpad to make selections.

IMO - nice machine, little expensive for £1450, but its a looker and it will certainly compete for many years to come.
    His machine compared to mine (g4 powerbook), I didn't notice that much speed difference at first glance, but when it comes to executing a million processes, I'm sure his will obliterate mine.
    Have a go at importing a DVD to .mp4 via HandBrake id you can (at 1000 kbps, FFmpeg). I'm guessing that it should beat your PowerBook then, I'd be interedted to see what fps you can get importing. I can get ~24 fps with my 1.9 G5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimi3013)
    Have a go at importing a DVD to .mp4 via HandBrake id you can (at 1000 kbps, FFmpeg). I'm guessing that it should beat your PowerBook then, I'd be interedted to see what fps you can get importing. I can get ~24 fps with my 1.9 G5.
    No worries
    In fact, I have every converter going, so might try a few.
    He is also having difficulty getting his Final Cut Pro excepted at the moment. It was installed on his last machine.

But, yeah - I'll get the results up next time I see him (hopefully midweek)

ReputationRep:
    iBook G4 ... arrived yesterday.

Phemon!

And now for the really tragic part:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    dont take the sheet off the keyboard!! :eek: it wont be knew anymore!

:p: Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know this isn't strictly what this place is for..

But hello. I have a G4 iBook. When I bought it I had them up the memory a bit, but that's the only difference from yer bog standard one.

Will the sound card that's inside it cope with surround sound speakers, or will I have to get something done to my poor computer's innards before I buy them?

I figured I'd ask here because you should know your stuff

ReputationRep:
    Well, not many laptops come 5.1 out the box. The only way as far as I can see is getting something like the Creative External Live 24 Bit, and then pluggin the 5.1s into that. The sound quality is excellent on it

However, looking at the website requirements for it, it may not work with macs. I will get back to you if I find one. Hey, why not join?!

ReputationRep:
    Because I think societies are silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Because I think societies are silly
    Depends how productive they are. Obviously you can't really have a Mac meet, but the Motoring society, I wouldn't mind meeting up with like minded enthusiasts at an event or for a meet etc.

Anyway, there could be Mac events

Regarding the iBook; it looks gorgeous. But it requires regular cleaning for it to retain its whiteness. The mouse pad is the worst.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think all societies are silly. I joined one, but that was only out of sheer boredom.

Not my thing

ReputationRep:
    fine fine. You can be honourary since you posted in here

ReputationRep:
    has anybody been following the xp on a mac competition, i know that its a little old, but its quite an achievement and i believe its worth mentioning.
    http:// onmac . net /

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daban)
    has anybody been following the xp on a mac competition, i know that its a little old, but its quite an achievement and i believe its worth mentioning.
    http:// onmac . net /
    I've been watching it, but I've not looked in depth of it. I've got a G5 so it's no use for me right now. I've got no real need for XP, there only three programs that I use, and they can all be used with VPC well enough. I'm not a have PC gamer, so that doesn't come into it. THere are enough games comming out for the Mac for me right now (Civ4 and the Moives to name a couple).

ReputationRep:
    So with that bootloader, you can boot in windows xp, turn your computer off and have it return to good old Mac OS?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.