Turn on thread page Beta

Mac users Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yep. When you turn on the Intel Mac, it don't boot to OS X like normal. You get a screen with the logo in the middle. Press page down and you get the Windows logo. Select to one you want and then use it.

You need to shut down to get the other OS though. I want to see how emulation works with these machines (VPC). It would be nice if I could play one or two of my old games (C&C:RA).

ReputationRep:
    Well, it appears Hell has frozen over: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

ReputationRep:
    Is this actually for real? Windows on macs?

I think this would be the nail in the coffin for me now to buy one.Have the best of both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solicitor_1abee)
    Is this actually for real? Windows on macs?

I think this would be the nail in the coffin for me now to buy one.Have the best of both
    Yep, it would appear so. And, considering it was released yesterday, we can confidently say it was not an April Fools Joke.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic,just have to wait for the Macbook now

ReputationRep:
    Ah, finally a place where I feel at home. I love my macs.

Anybody who uses XP on a mac shoot be hung, shot, skinned and quarted. Not necessarily in that order.

It's like driving a Ferarri in 1st and 2nd gear only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomiser)
    Ah, finally a place where I feel at home. I love my macs.

Anybody who uses XP on a mac shoot be hung, shot, skinned and quarted. Not necessarily in that order.

It's like driving a Ferarri in 1st and 2nd gear only.
    Sometimes driving a Ferrari in 1st or 2nd only is good if you want to hear the engine, but that just makes you look like a moron.

Also, it's a bit worrying that apps seem to be running faster in XP on Mac than in OSX on Mac (even if they're universal). However, macs with identical chips to other computers (like Dulls or HP's) seem to be running Windows faster

ReputationRep:
    its ideal for me, the only thing thats held me back from a new imac are two apps - battlefield two and cubase sx, now i can run them on a windows boot and all is good !

ReputationRep:
    Oooh a Mac soc how useful.

You all seem very knowledgable, hopefully you can give me some advice...

I'm currently taking the first steps and switching to a mac, I'm going to be studying animation at uni, after Art A2 next year and foundation the next. So obviously I'm approaching this for the graphics/design benefits of macs. Was chatting to a photographer the other day who had a lovely little powerbook and they definately seem worth the investment.

Soo....which model would you reccomend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakeplasticsmee)
    Oooh a Mac soc how useful.

You all seem very knowledgable, hopefully you can give me some advice...

I'm currently taking the first steps and switching to a mac, I'm going to be studying animation at uni, after Art A2 next year and foundation the next. So obviously I'm approaching this for the graphics/design benefits of macs. Was chatting to a photographer the other day who had a lovely little powerbook and they definately seem worth the investment.

Soo....which model would you reccomend?
    Well if you don't currently need one desperately, I would recomend waiting to see how the rest of the product line rounds out as they are transitioned to the intel chips. This will all definately be done by the end of the year, but so far we have the MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Minis. On the latop frint all that is expected really is the MacBook.

stu

ReputationRep:
    Right Mac users, I have made a sticky in the mobile computing sub forum

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=210586 (read the last line in the post)

About buying a windows laptop for uni. Now I think I should add something about Macs, but to be honest I don't know an awful lot about their spec etc...

So if anyone wants to write a short or long guide to getting an Apple Mac then please help me out

PM me if you decide to... Thnx

PS, the thread is getting about 120 hits a week so people are reading it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stustanley)
    Well if you don't currently need one desperately, I would recomend waiting to see how the rest of the product line rounds out as they are transitioned to the intel chips. This will all definately be done by the end of the year, but so far we have the MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Minis. On the latop frint all that is expected really is the MacBook.

stu
    Thanks for that I'd heard about the Intel chips, it definately sounds like something worth keeping an eye on.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell do I do the shortcuts with the little symbol next to the alt key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent ιn Lιes)
    How the hell do I do the shortcuts with the little symbol next to the alt key.
    What do you mean exactly - how do you create shortcuts or how do you actually carry them out? Also, which side.?

The "Command" key (or Apple key), to the right of the 'Alt' and 'Ctrl' keys works in exactly the same way as the Control key does in Windows - hold it down while pressing another key. For example, to close the current window, hold down Command while pressing W.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Regarding the iBook; it looks gorgeous. But it requires regular cleaning for it to retain its whiteness. The mouse pad is the worst.
    could you expand upon the "cleaning" what with etc? or am i being really dumb and it requires nothing special??

cheers:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondemoment)
    could you expand upon the "cleaning" what with etc? or am i being really dumb and it requires nothing special??

cheers:cool:
    Just wipe it to remove finger prints, no point buying over priced solutions like iClean to clean it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    What do you mean exactly - how do you create shortcuts or how do you actually carry them out? Also, which side.?

The "Command" key (or Apple key), to the right of the 'Alt' and 'Ctrl' keys works in exactly the same way as the Control key does in Windows - hold it down while pressing another key. For example, to close the current window, hold down Command while pressing W.
    But it doesn't work :bawling: I want to feather.

ReputationRep:
    It says:

alt-button-symbol mac-button-symbol D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent ιn Lιes)
    It says:

alt-button-symbol mac-button-symbol D
    Hold down alt and the Apple button, and then press D.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest...

You are using an Apple keyboard aren't you? Or are you using a Windows keyboard hooked up to a mac?

ReputationRep:
    They keyboard is rather firmly affixed to my laptop. It doesn't work no.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.