A Level Choices: Biology, Psychology, Maths and English Literature? Watch

bingbob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey,

I'm currently in Year 11 and deciding what A Level options to pick - but I am STUCK! I'm not entirely sure about what career I would like to pursue in the future but possibly in the field of psychology (or at least a psychology degree in university).

My current option choices are Biology, Psychology, Maths and English Literature (which I would probably drop) - I feel these would be suitable for Psychology, but if I were to change my mind about my future plans what would I be able to do with these options?!

I've heard that there is no chance of getting into a medical career without Chemistry (which I am predicted an 'A' for at GCSE but do not entirely enjoy...) Please help!
raspberryruffle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bingbob)
Hey,

I'm currently in Year 11 and deciding what A Level options to pick - but I am STUCK! I'm not entirely sure about what career I would like to pursue in the future but possibly in the field of psychology (or at least a psychology degree in university).

My current option choices are Biology, Psychology, Maths and English Literature (which I would probably drop) - I feel these would be suitable for Psychology, but if I were to change my mind about my future plans what would I be able to do with these options?!

I've heard that there is no chance of getting into a medical career without Chemistry (which I am predicted an 'A' for at GCSE but do not entirely enjoy...) Please help!
If you took Chemistry as a subject as well (instead of Maths for example), you'd still have respectable choices if you wanted to do Medicine OR Psychology. But you could always take Chemistry at a later point if you decided you wanted to do Medicine, it just wouldn't be free. :rolleyes:
stoppy123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,

Hey I'm very similar to you, I want to do a degree in psychology or psychology related and I took biology psychology English Literature and chemistry.

You've got a wide range of subjects and have a science which is required for most psychology courses.

But you only have one science which may limit you if you wish to go to medical school and then specify on one field of medicine.

No problem
flandalf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't say I know much about the others because I'm not much of a scientist/mathematician but English Lit is great and I would recommend it. It looks better than English Language in terms of academic prowess at Unis (if that's what you're after) but it's also interesting and develops you analytically. Obviously an A Level in English of any kind looks good because it often suggests you are fairly eloquent and can write succinctly. I know you are thinking about maybe dropping it but I'm actually preferring the A2 year as you get to choose your own novels to compare and analyse.
HellOnHighHeels
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I was you, I'd do Chem instead of Bio. I'm doing both, and currently HATE biology.
Darwinian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to study Medicine, you really need to take Chemistry, and get very high grades.

That's a good combination for Psychology - having maths will help you out with stats and it's good to have 2 sciences (Maths is a science at most places, and Psych is at many, which would give you 3). I think you're pretty set for switching areas of study, a nice science/essay balance
DarkAndTwisty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,

You sound like me this time last year. I was originally set to do Biology, Maths, English and Psychology. Then I realised I needed Chemistry to do Medicine, and once I was sure I wanted to do that and not anything else at university, I decided to change Maths for Chemistry.

However, I think if you want to do Psychology at uni, those choices are fine. You may need to double check entry requirements for universities though.

I was dubious about doing Chemistry A Level at first, because I found it so incredibly boring at GCSE, but it's so much better at A Level, imo. But it's up to you, you shouldn't do an A Level in a subject you really don't like, because you won't have any motivation to study/revise the material.
bingbob
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice, I will speak to a few of my teachers at school and see what they say about Chemistry and Maths
bingbob
Rep:
?
Hey I don't even think anyone will read this, but at the moment (subject to change :') I currently want to take Biology, Psychology and Maths at A Level but am now currently stuck between my final and fourth choice (which I will probably drop at AS) - English Literature and Music!! I didn't consider Music before because it isn't particularly relevant to Psychology (see above), but it is the subject I most enjoy and I think it will be one of my highest GCSE achievements - I've only been doing English Literature since September this year (We did Language last year) and have realised that I don't find it exactly 'interesting'... PLEASE HELP! (Again)
Jonesdawiz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I don't even think anyone will read this, but at the moment (subject to change :') I currently want to take Biology, Psychology and Maths at A Level but am now currently stuck between my final and fourth choice (which I will probably drop at AS) - English Literature and Music!! I didn't consider Music before because it isn't particularly relevant to Psychology (see above), but it is the subject I most enjoy and I think it will be one of my highest GCSE achievements - I've only been doing English Literature since September this year (We did Language last year) and have realised that I don't find it exactly 'interesting'... PLEASE HELP! (Again)
Biology and Psychology - Goes well together, because I think you'd be doing the Biological approach (suppose depends what exam board you are)
English Literature V Music - I think English Literature is a better match to be honest..

I do Psychology, and if you don't love it I'll be really suprised (best subject I've ever done).

Biology seems random.. It's apparently really hard though.. I think having Biology without Chemistry and Physics (paticulary Chemistry) may lessen your options.

Personally I'd do..

English Literature, Psychology, Maths, Sociology

You have two what I call The top band subjects, and two Middle-top band subjects which should be enough to do whatever degree you decide in the end. From the research I've done Sociology is also good for Psychology. And I know Maths will be more than enough for you to get in alone.
Woodworth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HellOnHighHeels)
If I was you, I'd do Chem instead of Bio. I'm doing both, and currently HATE biology.
Totally agree with the hate part!
How ever, i know some uni's want (or atleast love seeing) biology for psychology.

@OP
Your choices are pretty decent tbh. Don't do anything u don't enjoy is my best advice
username826246
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To the OP, a friend of mine emailed UCL about ideal subjects at Alevel for a psychology degree and they said Maths with Stats, Biology and English Lit. would be ideal but obviously people with other combinations would be accepted too. Psychology is helpful but not essential.
But in general, unis want/would prefer 2 sciences so I'd say your original choices are fine

regarding music, remember this is something you could take up in your spare time - you don't necessarily need an Alevel in it. If you don't think you'll enjoy Lit then take another respected subject but I would talk to your english teacher about what the Alevel course is like

EDIT: just realised that I sounded like I was telling you to take what unis want you to. I'm a firm believer in choosing subjects you enjoy, I just thought you might be interested to hear what unis have to say

hope this helps
bingbob
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatgirlbecky)
To the OP, a friend of mine emailed UCL about ideal subjects at Alevel for a psychology degree and they said Maths with Stats, Biology and English Lit. would be ideal but obviously people with other combinations would be accepted too. Psychology is helpful but not essential.
But in general, unis want/would prefer 2 sciences so I'd say your original choices are fine

regarding music, remember this is something you could take up in your spare time - you don't necessarily need an Alevel in it. If you don't think you'll enjoy Lit then take another respected subject but I would talk to your english teacher about what the Alevel course is like

EDIT: just realised that I sounded like I was telling you to take what unis want you to. I'm a firm believer in choosing subjects you enjoy, I just thought you might be interested to hear what unis have to say

hope this helps
Thank you for the little bit of info on what Universities want I'm settled on Biology, Psychology and Maths as my main choices - My issue regarding Music and English is the fact that I think I could gain a better grade in Music (as well as finding it more interesting) - I suppose its just finding the right balance between what Universities want and what I could get a good grade in :rolleyes:I will talk to my teachers, though I'm sure they'll all be a bit biased!
username826246
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for the little bit of info on what Universities want I'm settled on Biology, Psychology and Maths as my main choices - My issue regarding Music and English is the fact that I think I could gain a better grade in Music (as well as finding it more interesting) - I suppose its just finding the right balance between what Universities want and what I could get a good grade in :rolleyes:I will talk to my teachers, though I'm sure they'll all be a bit biased!
glad I could help yeah, I would talk to your teachers and maybe careers advisors about Eng Lit vs Music, if your heart really isn't English Lit then you really won't do as well (I'm in the same situation choosing my A-levels atm - my head telling me to take Lit, but my heart is telling me to take Sociology even though its a bit 'soft') follow your heart that's what I'm going to do
bingbob
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatgirlbecky)
glad I could help yeah, I would talk to your teachers and maybe careers advisors about Eng Lit vs Music, if your heart really isn't English Lit then you really won't do as well (I'm in the same situation choosing my A-levels atm - my head telling me to take Lit, but my heart is telling me to take Sociology even though its a bit 'soft') follow your heart that's what I'm going to do
Thank you I'm in the same position really, but you're right - if you're heart's not in it then you won't do as well - good luck to you!
Alisha999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
I'm in my first year doing AS level and I am currently studying:
English Lit,Psychology,Chemistry and Btec Health and social.
I don't know what career to go into?
Please help!!!
username2548679
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I have to make my a level option decisions and i am set for Biology, Chemistry and Maths as I am set for Medicine. However, for my fourth option I am torn between Eng Lit and Psychology for Medicine and I was wondering which would make me seem like a more well rounded candidate.
Thanks, help much appreciated
x
Alisha999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MBenny)
Hey, I have to make my a level option decisions and i am set for Biology, Chemistry and Maths as I am set for Medicine. However, for my fourth option I am torn between Eng Lit and Psychology for Medicine and I was wondering which would make me seem like a more well rounded candidate.
Thanks, help much appreciated
x
Okay first the subjects you're willing to do are hard haha but as long as you know you'll do well then go for it I'm doing English lit and psychology and they both require a lot of work but because you've chosen 3 difficult ones I'd say do a Btec as it makes life easier and universities only look for 3 Alevels anyways but from English Lit and Psychology I think by doing psychology you'll benefit from it as it has some biological content in their so definitely Psychology!
username2548679
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alisha999)
Okay first the subjects you're willing to do are hard haha but as long as you know you'll do well then go for it I'm doing English lit and psychology and they both require a lot of work but because you've chosen 3 difficult ones I'd say do a Btec as it makes life easier and universities only look for 3 Alevels anyways but from English Lit and Psychology I think by doing psychology you'll benefit from it as it has some biological content in their so definitely Psychology!
Thanks !
I was told it would help but I have no experience of doing it in GCSE so I was wondering if I would enjoy it more than Eng Lit.
You could go down a Psychology route especially seen as you have Chemistry as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads