This discussion is closed.
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Is economics a lot harder than Business at A-level, or only a bit harder?????

Also does it give TOO much pressure and if I picked it as an A-level, each day, as an estimate, how many hours would I have to revise for economics to get atleast a B grade at it?? Is economics full of maths or is just a small part of it mathsey?

Furthermore If I picked economics, business and maths would I get too much pressure? Is this a good choice? By the way I do like maths.
Konspiracy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im doing both [Edexcel] and I can say in my opinion Economics is way harder and requires alot more thinking. Where business is the basics of err a business, Economics studies how the world revolves around money and the factors that drive or slow down an Economy.

Economics is harder, and there is alot of maths involved. AND GRAPHS which are very omplicated to understand at first. Dont get meh wrong, its possible but will require a very intelligent mind.

Im considering dropping at the end of this year.
geeksandtherest
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I’m currently studying both Business and Economics but at IGCSE level. However if you intend on studying Economics at A Level standards then I would strongly recommend that you drop Business and opt for Economics alone, this is because there is a quiet a lot of facts involved in the subject. For that reason it will take up a huge amount of your time to process all the information later causing you to sacrifice Business revision which in comparison will be more basic applied knowledge.
Konspiracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Business and Economics relate to each other. Most of the key terms that appear in business appear in Economics. I think taking both if very beneficial.
Hatchet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you talking about the single course "business and economics" or the two courses separately?
Jedicake
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll quote this off a website I found. It pretty much sums it up:

"Economics and Business studies will often overlap in the subjects covered with economics using more mathematical techniques than Business studies. Business studies tends to be a mix of accounting, finance, economics, marketing and organisational behaviour whereas economics is concerned with how society sets about meeting people's demands for things they want to consume.

It depends on who you speak to as to which one is considered the 'best', however, economics is often considered to have more academic rigour.
"
jackMUFCfinn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You need to take into consideration that *most* universities don't accept economics and business studies together - they view it as one subject. Personally, I'd suggest that you do Economics and there really isn't much Maths involved at all - I was quite bad at GCSE Maths but had no problem with the Maths in Economics. In terms of applying to universities at a later date (if you're interested in Higher Education), you need Maths A-Level to do Economics at the best universities. But I seriously suggest that you only take 1 of Business Studies and Economics because it could come back to haunt you at a later date, but Maths would compliment either greatly
RP-MRU.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Economics doesn't involve that much maths. It's maths that I'd imagine you should be able to do since you say you like maths. I'd also advice against taking both, take one or the other but know that Econ is the more academic choice and very much relevant in the current climate. Econ requires a lot of graph reading, which seems complicated at first but isn't that bad in all honesty. The first half term will be fairly dull, I won't lie, you'll have to learn new key terms before understanding any economics at all.

I'd strongly advise you to study it, I love it, although there are those who find it dull, depends on what type of person/student you are. But bear in mind that it will be hard work and independent study will be key for the higher grades. Only doing what is covered in the lessons will, on a good day, only get you a C grade (much like any A-level) - you will need to do independent work alone. Hope this helps mate!
Llewellyn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RP-MRU.)
Economics doesn't involve that much maths. It's maths that I'd imagine you should be able to do since you say you like maths. I'd also advice against taking both, take one or the other but know that Econ is the more academic choice and very much relevant in the current climate. Econ requires a lot of graph reading, which seems complicated at first but isn't that bad in all honesty. The first half term will be fairly dull, I won't lie, you'll have to learn new key terms before understanding any economics at all.

I'd strongly advise you to study it, I love it, although there are those who find it dull, depends on what type of person/student you are. But bear in mind that it will be hard work and independent study will be key for the higher grades. Only doing what is covered in the lessons will, on a good day, only get you a C grade (much like any A-level) - you will need to do independent work alone. Hope this helps mate!
I'm guessing you haven't started A2 econ yet? Your synopsis is dead-on for AS econ though.

Economics > business studies. Not just in notoriety but also in terms of workload, economics is the better option. Business studies should generally be avoided at a level, as it's a bit soft when you're competing against people who will do more "academic" subjects.
Tomatochuckers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by krisshP)
Is economics a lot harder than Business at A-level, or only a bit harder?????

Also does it give TOO much pressure and if I picked it as an A-level, each day, as an estimate, how many hours would I have to revise for economics to get atleast a B grade at it?? Is economics full of maths or is just a small part of it mathsey?

Furthermore If I picked economics, business and maths would I get too much pressure? Is this a good choice? By the way I do like maths.
Yes economics is more respected and considered as being more difficult than business studies by unis

Do not take both econ and business studies, the overlap is looked down upn.

I'd therefore take economics.
RP-MRU.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Llewellyn)
I'm guessing you haven't started A2 econ yet? Your synopsis is dead-on for AS econ though.

Economics > business studies. Not just in notoriety but also in terms of workload, economics is the better option. Business studies should generally be avoided at a level, as it's a bit soft when you're competing against people who will do more "academic" subjects.
I haven't. Been doing AS since September. 100% couldn't agree more, the content for BS is painfully similar to that at GCSE. Any advice for A2?
AspiringGenius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know someone doing economics, business and accounting AS Levels... :lolwut:
Llewellyn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RP-MRU.)
I haven't. Been doing AS since September. 100% couldn't agree more, the content for BS is painfully similar to that at GCSE. Any advice for A2?
A2 econ requires more maths than AS econ, (there's a fair bit more statistics) but there's no need to worry about it now, if you're good at maths it's still just a walk.

The most important part of AS is not just the "a" grade; but to give your teacher every reason to predict you an A* grade (because that's what the unis are really looking for). i.e. show interest, capability and understanding of the subject. All those damn graphs used to do my head in though, you have my sympathy for that
xxm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As someone who does both, Economics is by far and away harder. It requires hard work and intelligence to be able to pass. Business you could get away with slouching at AS its just logic. :rolleyes:
RP-MRU.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Llewellyn)
A2 econ requires more maths than AS econ, (there's a fair bit more statistics) but there's no need to worry about it now, if you're good at maths it's still just a walk.

The most important part of AS is not just the "a" grade; but to give your teacher every reason to predict you an A* grade (because that's what the unis are really looking for). i.e. show interest, capability and understanding of the subject. All those damn graphs used to do my head in though, you have my sympathy for that
GCSE Maths levels of Maths? Or...? What would you suggest is the best way to get that killer A grade then? Also, are you on AQA? I honestly don't mind the graphs, as long as I can interpret them, but that's perhaps because I haven't done enough of them yet! Thanks for the tip btw!
krisshP
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am planning to do Business and economics separately.

Maths and economics will be the hard subjects, but Business I am only picking because it will be easy, cause not much extra pressure and as I have to pick 3 subjects.

As some of you advise I should not pick Business as my necessary third subject, WHAT SHOULD I PICK then as my third subject?? I want my third subject to be easy and not causing much pressure.
geeksandtherest
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by krisshP)
I am planning to do Business and economics separately.

Maths and economics will be the hard subjects, but Business I am only picking because it will be easy, cause not much extra pressure and as I have to pick 3 subjects.

As some of you advise I should not pick Business as my necessary third subject, WHAT SHOULD I PICK then as my third subject?? I want my third subject to be easy and not causing much pressure.
Since you want a third subject that will be easy in comparison to Mathematics and Economics, then I would suggest that you should have a browse through other A level subjects Specifications that maybe of your interest. Because in all honest I do not think anyone on here can recommend you a specific subject to choose without knowing your full academic abilities. All you will get is being recommended a subject that will look good for UCAS purposes but might not be suitable for you as a person/student since much of the study will be conducted in private rather than in class. So for that reason you will need to decide on a subject that you can see yourself making a few sacrifices for when the going gets tough I mean in terms of revision and extra study.
Al _Capone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing economics and business at AS but I'm going to be dropping business studies at the end of AS is that fine? Or it will it be bad when applying for uni?
Arj10un
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im doing economics business eng lit and maths. i want to like work with something to do with maths such as accountancy or something like that. which subject do u think i should drop?
Arj10un
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well im taking business ad economics for AS level as well as eng lit and maths. which woul u recommend me to drop? i was planning to drop eng lit but please help me
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed