The Student Room Group

Kent or UEA

I've got offers from both for business administration/management but I really don't know where to go, I know UEA is good and quite high up in the times league but it doesn't have the year in industry thats offered at kent. Is this year out a useful experience? and can anyone say what the nightlife is like in these areas
Well, ther Year in Industry is supposed to be good as it helps you grow/mature a lot as a person and get's you prepared for life beyond uni, and I've heard good things about it from people. I can't tell you about the nightlife at UEA, but can tell you about the life at Kent as I only live 20 mins from Canterbury and go out there when I'm back home. The night life is fairly decent (however, I probably have a lower opinion about clubs back home from going to Uni in London), and there are a few clubs - BaBa's, Aldberry's, Churchill's, the Works, etc - you always get a decent student crowd in them especially on the promotion nights, however where Canterbury scores well is the large number of bars and pubs in the City - there are some good ones including Bar Elleven, Simple Simon's, the Hobgoblin, etc, so I think you'd have a good time there. Plus, as there are 2 Universities in Canterbury (UKC and Christchurch), you get quite a few students out so you should fit in well and have a good time. Anyhows, I hope that this information helps, but the best way to find out would be to just visit and have a stroll round the town to see how you find it.

PS. The shopping in Canterbury is good and improving - you've got all of the regular shops there, eg. H&M, Next, Topshop, ****, USC, Qube, Zara (I think), etc and quite a few nice boutiques and some good vintage stores. They also have some excellent restaurants (notably the Olive Grove, Little Italy and Cafe Venezia first spring to mind) and some excellent coffee shops, most notably Cafe sans Pierre. Anyhows, hope that this helps. :smile:
Kent, if location is an important factor - Canterbury is gorgeous: so many great bars, cafes and interesting little shops. I hear it is pretty expensive though, but hey, where else makes it so simple to go to France for a weekend?
Evil Muffin
Kent, if location is an important factor - Canterbury is gorgeous: so many great bars, cafes and interesting little shops. I hear it is pretty expensive though, but hey, where else makes it so simple to go to France for a weekend?

London. I can catch the Eurostar and be in Paris in 2.5 hours! :p:
I like Kent I does!
Reply 5
Since nobody else is defending Norwich , I guess i'd better then.

Key benefits:

More bands / gig than virtually any other university in the UK
Massive sportspark with east anglia's only olympic sized pool on campus
Accomodation - 4 or 5 new blocks built within the last couple of years, and another 2 arent much older
City - Its the regional centre for shopping, if theres a shop you want you can find it in Norwich (except Ikea)
Nightlife - Newly refurbished union, and loads of on campus events; city its a 15-20min bus ride away (which are 24hours, upto 10mins during the day) On the riverside development you've got 2 nightclubs, a whole load of bars, bowling alley; then a short walk away theres Prince of Wales road, which is the traditional club area which as a good few clubs to work your way through.

Downsides? The campus accomodation is new, which makes it damn expensive (£82 a week for ensuite) and none is catered if youre looking for that.
Oh, and you repartment is up 2 floors in the building if you dont like stairs (above mine :smile:)
Reply 6
any opinions on which uni would benefit me more academically?
Reply 7
Canterbury is lovely, I can't cope unless I go there every month at least! I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm at uni. It has good pubs, restaurants, atmosphere, is beautiful, good shops, lovely chips and baguettes... Cafe St Pierre is a French Mauritian run bakery/coffee shop and they do the most amazing croissants and things.
Academic-wise, look to the league tables, but it would probably be UEA.
Reply 9
Key benefits:

More bands / gig than virtually any other university in the UK
Massive sportspark with east anglia's only olympic sized pool on campus
Accomodation - 4 or 5 new blocks built within the last couple of years, and another 2 arent much older
City - Its the regional centre for shopping, if theres a shop you want you can find it in Norwich (except Ikea)
Nightlife - Newly refurbished union, and loads of on campus events; city its a 15-20min bus ride away (which are 24hours, upto 10mins during the day) On the riverside development you've got 2 nightclubs, a whole load of bars, bowling alley; then a short walk away theres Prince of Wales road, which is the traditional club area which as a good few clubs to work your way through.

Downsides? The campus accomodation is new, which makes it damn expensive (£82 a week for ensuite) and none is catered if youre looking for that.
Oh, and you repartment is up 2 floors in the building if you dont like stairs (above mine )

I agree with PieMaster, but can't comment on the academics, as i'm still in 6th form, but i live in Norwich and the nightlife is very good, as well as now having a new shopping mall, clubs on riverside, and lots of gigs at the UEA.

:smile:
Kent is in a stunning location.I think pratikv went through most of what Canterbury has to offer-there's also the cinema etc...

The campus has the necessities-cash machine,bookshop,general store etc...is very pretty and on a hill with a lovely view.

Also there's a gorgeous cafe near Canterbury Cathedral and they do some lovely sticky toffee cake!
makeshiftwings
Academic-wise, look to the league tables, but it would probably be UEA.

Well, from what I know of the management faculty the classes are very big. Some of the first year modules fill LT1 which is a 500 capacity.
If you were to choose a combined course, such as business information systems, you'd do mostly business utis, but also some of the more busisness related ones from the computing science department - which is good as employers hold degrees from CMP with very high regard.
cherrychocolate
Kent is in a stunning location.I think pratikv went through most of what Canterbury has to offer-there's also the cinema etc...

The campus has the necessities-cash machine,bookshop,general store etc...is very pretty and on a hill with a lovely view.

Also there's a gorgeous cafe near Canterbury Cathedral and they do some lovely sticky toffee cake!

I think that stunning is a lot of an overstatement - the university itself is very green, however the buildings lack any semblance of character. However, the city is quite pretty, however I'd use 'stunning' to describe something like Cambridge/Oxford/parts of some of the London Unis and the area they're in.
Reply 13
Norwich is a pretty city too! Ok, granted the campus may have a slight overkill on the concrete (hey it was built in the 60's, concrete was fashionable then :wink: ) but there's a huge lake and meadows and parkland too which more than make up for it. Norwich itself has 2 cathedrals, a Norman castle, some lovely historic buildings in the city centre and in the windy little streets that lead to and from it - down by the Anglican cathedral and the law courts in Tombland is absolutely stunning. It may not be as pretty as Cantabury, but its still far from the average grey concrete anytown.
Reply 14
Kent is good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending