Turn on thread page Beta

Get cars off the road! Cycling is the way forward! watch

ReputationRep:
    For example, when I say I ride agressively, I do so with the right precautions. I try to overtake on the left (remember we ride on the right here in France) so I can be seen by the driver. I never overtake across junctions in case someone turns left. I don't run lights at busy junctions and I don't hurtle through pedestrian areas.

I always assess the risks, stay clear of pavements. However, I cycle quickly , keep up with the cars (even on my Bdx piece of ****) and am not afraid to fly past still traffic on the wrong side of the road (the roads in Bdx are wide enough that oncoming traffic will move over.

I'm so looking forward to finding a bike messenger job

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is exactly what I mean, cycling aggressively does not mean being silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    Obviously if someone decides to swerve into you there's nothing that you can do about it. I'm talking about people turning into roads without indicating or looking, pulling out without looking, etc...
    How about going slower so you have time to react to things like that? It's called anticipation and it's part of the TRAINING that drivers do to qualify them to use the road. If I'm driving down the road at 100mph and someone pulls out of a junction in front of me and I kill them, when I stand up in court and say "There was nothing I could do, I didn't have time to stop." the judge is unlikely to say "Well, that's fine, you obviously weren't to blame. Off you go!" Is he?!

Sorry, I realise I'm blowing things out of proportion as this situation is unlikely to occur on a bike! I'm not trying to p*ss anyone off. I just find the attitude of some road users amazing!

ReputationRep:
    most accidents on bicycles or motorbikes are because of car users not indicating.etc., therefore perhaps you should look at this. Personally I have been in a situation that is normal, but, as stated, lack of indication is a real bugger, which can so easily result in accidents, and its always the cyclist who is in the right who gets hurt.

ReputationRep:
    get bikes of the road. they dont pay road tax and therefore dont contribute to road maintainance! the road should be for those who pay for them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Well, in reality our efforts are a bit worthless. I still try to not waste fuel though

Maybe our goverment should use our friendlyness with America and teach them that Europe has cars that don't need 5 litre engines, and do 50MPG. Not that many people would buy them over there :rolleyes:
    My truck had its engine replaced and down sized for some unknown reason. So its only a 2 litre, however it does 13 mpg!

ReputationRep:
    13 mpg is crap, for a 2 litre. You can get about 25 out of a 2.3 Litre turbo petrol 2 tonne volvo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalis)
    I always think of SUV's as 4x4's or at least a large vehicle. An A - Class is a small car! Not an SUV! - Tell anyone you drive an SUV, and A Class and they'll be confused!:p:

Because I am bored and have nothing else to do right now but prove you wrong , here is the text from: Google's "Define: SUV"

==>Acronym that stands for Sport Utility Vehicle. A good example of an SUV would be a Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Blazer, Dodge Durango, or a Toyota 4Runner.
    www.americascarshow.com/glossary/Welcome.html

==>sport utility: a high-performance four-wheel drive car built on a truck chassis
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    The thing is they're not exactly high perfomance, in vehicle terms, as they are weigh as much as houses, and are designed to go off road, so the term SUV is an oxymoron. SUVs should be more like Subaru Forresters, Audi RS6 Avant, Brabus EV12s etc. There is no way in hell that an offroader can be sporty ever, except perhaps in those Baja/Dakar things which are somewhat amazing, and crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    True.
    Everything has to be big in the US including the engine size. We don't want to end up like Japan either where 600cc engines are the norm.

We just need Mitsubishi to make an Evo again from a 2.0litre engine pumping 405 horses, but using 40mpg instead of 10!!! It ain't gonna happen

Hybrid I think is the way forward, where both fuel and electricity is used.
    Every car should be electric up until 10mph when fuel then takes over. This would save an awful amount of pollution.
    The thing is where do you get the electricity from, currently its burning of fossil fuels, so were still no better off, its one of those situations where you need to think up some goundbreakingly new technique in order for anything major to happen, I'm talking about some nobel prize winning development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoringmeister)
    13 mpg is crap, for a 2 litre. You can get about 25 out of a 2.3 Litre turbo petrol 2 tonne volvo.
    Tis crap! 1 litre of petrol for every 2.8 miles!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoringmeister)
    The thing is they're not exactly high perfomance, in vehicle terms, as they are weigh as much as houses, and are designed to go off road, so the term SUV is an oxymoron. SUVs should be more like Subaru Forresters, Audi RS6 Avant, Brabus EV12s etc. There is no way in hell that an offroader can be sporty ever, except perhaps in those Baja/Dakar things which are somewhat amazing, and crazy.
    That's why they not called 'sports cars' but 'sports utility vehicles', i.e. a car which can accomodate all the things you use in sports. Not to be sporty itself, apart form off road. But there is still the range rover sport, bmw x3/5 and porche cayenne - they're pretty fast?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. But they're huge and inside are about the same size as a normal saloon car.

99% of X3/5's, Cayenne's and the Merecedes ones have never touched mud and never had 5 people in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Yeah. But they're huge and inside are about the same size as a normal saloon car.

99% of X3/5's, Cayenne's and the Merecedes ones have never touched mud and never had 5 people in
    They have. New invention: http://www.tatteredcoat.com/images/spray-on-mud.jpg

For all the folks in Chelsea & Kensington

ReputationRep:
    Yes in south London it's pretty good to cycle. Try cycling in central London though!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.