TSR Aviators Society Watch

shriya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi,
i am interested in becoming a commercial pilot.please can someone tell me how to go about it.I am sorry but i have no idea,even my carrers counsellor is clueless.
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shriya)
Hi,
i am interested in becoming a commercial pilot.please can someone tell me how to go about it.I am sorry but i have no idea,even my carrers counsellor is clueless.
Get a loan for about £70k and then Google "Oxford Aviation."

They do the rest for you.

(Okay, not exactly that straightforward, but going with Oxford Aviation, who are the world leaders, would be the best route if you are looking at BA etc.)
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some cool planes:

There is something amazing about this plane from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:

And this:

Just been back from flying r/c aircraft! Woo.
GeorgEGNT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Name: George Graham
PPL Owner?: 1/3 of the way there!
Base Airport: Newcastle
Years of experience flying as PIC: N/A
Aircraft Flown: PA28, Tutor, Vigilant, Some Gliders
Favourite Aircraft Flown: PA28 By Far
Interested in military/civil aircraft: Civil
Favourite Aircraft: B757-200
Most exotic country you've travelled to: Spain lol
Aviation blog/journal address: www.george.photos.me.uk

Hi there, can I join please?
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Speedbird2008)
Get a loan for about £70k and then Google "Oxford Aviation."

They do the rest for you.

(Okay, not exactly that straightforward, but going with Oxford Aviation, who are the world leaders, would be the best route if you are looking at BA etc.)
I do hope you've done slightly more research than that if your really serious about flying airlines mate. The amount of people I hear saying, oh yeah I'll just loan all the money and go to oxford or ctc or cabair. Not many people take that route and if they do they're in privilaged positions financially not coming out of school.

Oxford is one out of about 10,000 possible ways of gaining your ATPL. I'm not looking into causing arguements so please dont think I am, but dont you think rather than telling him to take out a £70k loan and bog off to oxford, we should be telling him the basics first?

Mate, to be able to fly commercially you need to obtain a fATPL or frozen air transport pilots license (which you will unfreeze during your airline career allowing you to be promoted). There are several practical ratings you must achieve as part of it and also pass 14 theory exams. There are loads of ways off doing it, but I suggest you move over to a more specific forum PPRune. www.pprune.com, get yourself logged up and get yourself into the training section. Search through the threads and look at the stickys. You WILL find what your looking for, but if you need any help, there are always guys on there happy to help. I will not just inform you, but also offer help and advice on whatever situation you find yourself in. There are people training, people looking to starting training, and even pilots who have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and have now started helping other people get there too.

Hope this helps mate, contact me if you need any more info.

(Speedbird2008, I'm really not trying to cause arguements, but when I first starting my research I was mis-lead by people telling me to go integrated and getting the loans and stuff. I'm just trying to stop people getting the same)
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GeorgEGNT)
I do hope you've done slightly more research than that if your really serious about flying airlines mate. The amount of people I hear saying, oh yeah I'll just loan all the money and go to oxford or ctc or cabair. Not many people take that route and if they do they're in privilaged positions financially not coming out of school.

Oxford is one out of about 10,000 possible ways of gaining your ATPL. I'm not looking into causing arguements so please dont think I am, but dont you think rather than telling him to take out a £70k loan and bog off to oxford, we should be telling him the basics first?

Mate, to be able to fly commercially you need to obtain a fATPL or frozen air transport pilots license (which you will unfreeze during your airline career allowing you to be promoted). There are several practical ratings you must achieve as part of it and also pass 14 theory exams. There are loads of ways off doing it, but I suggest you move over to a more specific forum PPRune. www.pprune.com, get yourself logged up and get yourself into the training section. Search through the threads and look at the stickys. You WILL find what your looking for, but if you need any help, there are always guys on there happy to help. I will not just inform you, but also offer help and advice on whatever situation you find yourself in. There are people training, people looking to starting training, and even pilots who have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and have now started helping other people get there too.

Hope this helps mate, contact me if you need any more info.

(Speedbird2008, I'm really not trying to cause arguements, but when I first starting my research I was mis-lead by people telling me to go integrated and getting the loans and stuff. I'm just trying to stop people getting the same)
Yeah, I know all of that.

I don't want to be the pilot, it was another poster.

I personally would go to the States to instruct, though you deserve some +ve rep as you will help a lot of people by saying that.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What the...?

Who thinks a Cessna 402 or a Super Cub are cool planes?!!?
gallan674
Report 10 years ago
I am a solo pilot. Gliding is my sport. Been doing it since i was 14. Gliding is an ace sport and good to be a pilot.
Sophie_145
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dad's always enjoyed paragliding/paramotoring but he's recently bought a microlight called the Quick GT450 .... http://pmaviation.co.uk/gt450.php
He's got about 5 hours training left before he completes his license but he's taking me up on thursday, friday or saturday even though he won't have his license, because the weather forecast is supposed to be good. I'm so excited!
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nice.

I've been paragliding twice (France and Austria in t'Alps) and it is amazing!

Anyone been doing much flying recently??

I hope to go gliding soon, as my gliding scholarship was a wee while back now!
Deep Thought
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I want to steal a B-2 Bomber <3
ShadowBronze
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have tried to join this society twice now, please let me in!
dream123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I cannot believe there is such a thread !!! wahooo!

just to say, i have applied to join the society but i dont think ive been accepted yet. so, nudee nudge.

* Name: Dream123
* PPL Owner? (If no, skip the following sub questions):
o Base Airport:
o Years of experience flying as PIC:
o Aircraft Flown:
o Favourite Aircraft Flown:
* Interested in military/civil aircraft: BOTH
* Favourite Aircraft: [I]I like all of them./I]
* Most exotic country you've travelled to: emm..yes, that'd be none.
* Aviation blog/journal address: n/a
dream123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Name: George Graham
PPL Owner?: 1/3 of the way there!
Base Airport: Newcastle
Years of experience flying as PIC: N/A
Aircraft Flown: PA28, Tutor, Vigilant, Some Gliders
Favourite Aircraft Flown: PA28 By Far
Interested in military/civil aircraft: Civil
Favourite Aircraft: B757-200
Most exotic country you've travelled to: Spain lol
Aviation blog/journal address: www.george.photos.me.uk

Hi there, can I join please?
http://www.george.photos.me.uk/p44630840.html <<< this is interesting. can you tell us more? do all aeroplanes require a salute?
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dream123)
http://www.george.photos.me.uk/p44630840.html <<< this is interesting. can you tell us more? do all aeroplanes require a salute?
Was the first daily Emirates flight from Dubai direct to Newcastle, major event at the airport, aircraft arrived and received a water salute from the fire engines at the airport.
dream123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was the first daily Emirates flight from Dubai direct to Newcastle, major event at the airport, aircraft arrived and received a water salute from the fire engines at the airport.
interesting
any particular passengers?
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, was just the inaugural flight.
ShadowBronze
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it still possible to get a loan of about 60k to fund any training in this outrageous financial climate? Am I somewhat doomed to have such high aspirations of being a commercial airline pilot? I've always been so attached to aviation that I never really even spent time considering another career path.
dream123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
please adddddddddd meeeeeeeeee
mountainmetman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thought I'd update a little -
Most exotic country travelled to: Either the Falklands or Ascension Island, depends whether you count them as exotic.

And for the record, the toilets on Hercles are brilliant and terrifying all at the same time. Well, I say toilets, I mean bucket and curtain.

Out of interest, does anyone here have any opinion about the new TAF coding? Particularly the addition of dates to change groups, eg TEMPO 1215 is now TEMPO 1612/1615
Some of the guys aren't too keen on it and I was wondering what the real world opinions are.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (278)
44.84%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (188)
30.32%
I don't have an opinion (154)
24.84%

Watched Threads