The Student Room Group

PICKING A- Level Chocies!

Hi everyone! :biggrin:

Im in year 11 and have to pick my choices for A-level, I want to do an Economics Degree at somewhere like LSE ( would probs not even get in haha :P)

My question what AS to pick?

Maths,Further Maths, Economics & history

OR

Maths,Further Maths, Economics & history & CHEMISTRY

Is the 5th Alevel going to help in any way?!- Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP :smile:
Reply 2
you should really use the search function - I know it's often said but for something like this its the best thing to do...

to answer your question, Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History will be just perfect.
Reply 3
Either is fine, it depends if you want to work really hard or just hard.

Considering most have 3 or 4 max, a 5th won't help you hugely.

I also agree with the above.
Reply 4
4 is fine
4 is fine, for LSE they will only offer you 3 A2's in your offer so there's really no point doing 5 AS, unless Chemistry is a specific interest of yours. :smile:
Reply 6
I did 5 (taking 1 outside of school) and was strongly advised before doing it that the 5th would add nothing to my application. All university offers are off 3 A2 anyway, 4 is plenty for AS. There's nothing wrong with doing 5 as long as your 5th doesn't make you do worse elsewhere. If you're interested in it and are confident you can cope, go for it!
4 is fine. If you think you could handle the work load, a 5th at AS might help, but not considerably so, and its not worth jeapardising your other subjects.
If you were to do 5 at AS, i would definitely drop one for A2.
For LSE, having 4 A-levels is an advantage over having 3, but for pretty much every other university, they don't really care if you have 4. but I would see how things go at AS before making that decision as to whether to do 3 or 4, or whether you can think of applying to LSE.

Your subject choices are spot on though :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JK29

Im in year 11 and have to pick my choices for A-level, I want to do an Economics Degree at somewhere like LSE ( would probs not even get in haha :P)

OR

Hi i see what your saying, i personally do Chemistry and am in my second year of college, and would say that as it is challenging (but still possible!):smile: , i would recommend you to do 4. Firstly, because you can concentrate more on your 4 subjects as the work load is more than high school. Also the degree you are considering is more linked to the first 4 A-levels than Chemistry. And your timetable will be pretty full if you do 5 and you may find it difficult to adapt. However if you enjoy Science, particularly Chemistry then do it. If you do a 5th subject it may not look good because you may be taking on more than your brain can take but if you think you can by all means go for it. However, Chemistry does contain quite a bit of maths , i'd say more maths is in the 2nd year so that may help. But you may like Chemistry. And remember choose your subjects knowing that you'll enjoy them and really like that subject. i know ive said alot but just think about it and you'll realise what's best for you.hope this helps! good luck!:smile:
Reply 9
To add - excelling in 4 is far far better than doing ok in 5 - especially now there are A*s up for grabs
Reply 10
Thanks to everyone so far who replied :smile:
Im gonna do 5 :P HIstory, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and one of the Englishes. Cant decide wheter to do English lang, English lit or Lit+lang combined tho :/
Reply 12
Original post by Moleman1996
Im gonna do 5 :P HIstory, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and one of the Englishes. Cant decide wheter to do English lang, English lit or Lit+lang combined tho :/

Ah what you planning to do as a degree? & how you finding GCSE at the moment? :smile:
Original post by JK29
Ah what you planning to do as a degree? & how you finding GCSE at the moment? :smile:

GCSE is going good :P Just German that I find hard a bit to be honest, hoping to scrape a C tho, like i did in French :biggrin:

And at degree, maybe History or Chemistry.
Reply 14
GCSE is going good :P Just German that I find hard a bit to be honest, hoping to scrape a C tho, like i did in French :biggrin:

Good good :smile:! Yeah I'm gonna fail germ! :angry: haha
Reply 15
Still can't decide :'( my teachers are saying I'm stupid for wanting to do 5 AS's :colondollar:
Have no clue helpp!

Also if I do 4 which?
Maths,F.Maths,Economics,History OR Chemistry?!

Thanks everyone!
What i would say is that economics and maths and further maths are a given if you wish to take an economics degree. I am currently studying 5 AS'(english lang/lit,maths,economics,politics,philosophy) and will say that it is alot of work, particularly due to the fact that the step up from maths GCSE to Maths A-level is HUGE!!! But i would say that if you are absolutely certain that you want to do an economics degree, then perhaps history would be more useful, however, LSE like traditional subjects such as the sciences, so i guess what is most important is which you enjoy more, and also which you think you will get a better grade in, because dont forget, you need an A* and 2A's at least to get in to LSE for economics!!!
Hope this helps
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

I know you're not the one asking for help but at a lot of English universities maths is highly recommended for a chemistry degree :smile:
Original post by JK29

OR

Op don't bother with 5 because then you'll have time for extra reading and writing your own essays which is essential but look here about naths fm, history and econ
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1835749
Original post by JK29
Still can't decide :'( my teachers are saying I'm stupid for wanting to do 5 AS's :colondollar:
Have no clue helpp!

Also if I do 4 which?
Maths,F.Maths,Economics,History OR Chemistry?!

Thanks everyone!

Why would you want to do further math!!???

Quick Reply

Latest