This discussion is closed.
jisaac
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm an engineering first year and I am looking for the best books relevant to my subject. My course is split up into five components: Maths, Electrical, Electronical, Materials, and Energy. By best books I mean that I am looking for books that explain most of what I need to know in a clear and simplified/easy to understand (as much as it can be) way. Please help me !
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics for all your maths problems.

I also like Gieck Technical Formulae, really handy book to have.
Like_A_G6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics for all your maths problems.

I also like Gieck Technical Formulae, really handy book to have.
Definitely! What ever your uni says, do not buy modern engineering mathematics by Glyn James.

If you ever do thermodynamics, thermodynamics - an engineering approach by Cengel and Boles is the one you should use.
jisaac
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
funnily enough I ordered the advanced engineering mathematics (K.A.Stroud) this afternoon. Thermodynamics should be on my course later in the year so I shall definitely have a look at that book thanks!

Anything for statics/ solid mechanics / electricity and magnetism / materials / bending and torsion??
middlj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Loads of stroud fan boys on here. (myself included)
Like_A_G6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jisaac)
funnily enough I ordered the advanced engineering mathematics (K.A.Stroud) this afternoon. Thermodynamics should be on my course later in the year so I shall definitely have a look at that book thanks!

Anything for statics/ solid mechanics / electricity and magnetism / materials / bending and torsion??
Materials - ISBN:9780470505861 - Materials Science and Engineering

Bending and torsion should be part of solid mechanics. I don't have a book for that as lecture notes you take should be enough. Theory is fairly straight forward, applying it just takes practice.

Amazon is quite cheap for books, however, abebooks.co.uk is the cheapest especially if you sign upto topcashback where you'll get 5.15% cashback or quidco who'll give you 8% cashback, but charge you £5 a year to be a member.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The problem with engineering is will you have any time to actually look through the textbooks? I found myself so busy all the time with group work, lectures and example sheets that I found little spare time to read textbooks because I was exhausted and partly lacked motivation as well.

If you ever study aerodynamics, John Anderson's book is the way to go.
Echo the comments about Stroud's books.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads