The Student Room Group

Best engineering books for an undergraduate engineer

I'm an engineering first year and I am looking for the best books relevant to my subject. My course is split up into five components: Maths, Electrical, Electronical, Materials, and Energy. By best books I mean that I am looking for books that explain most of what I need to know in a clear and simplified/easy to understand (as much as it can be) way. Please help me !
Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics for all your maths problems.

I also like Gieck Technical Formulae, really handy book to have.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics for all your maths problems.

I also like Gieck Technical Formulae, really handy book to have.

Definitely! What ever your uni says, do not buy modern engineering mathematics by Glyn James.

If you ever do thermodynamics, thermodynamics - an engineering approach by Cengel and Boles is the one you should use.
Reply 3
funnily enough I ordered the advanced engineering mathematics (K.A.Stroud) this afternoon. Thermodynamics should be on my course later in the year so I shall definitely have a look at that book thanks!

Anything for statics/ solid mechanics / electricity and magnetism / materials / bending and torsion??
Reply 4
Loads of stroud fan boys on here. (myself included)
Reply 5
Original post by jisaac
funnily enough I ordered the advanced engineering mathematics (K.A.Stroud) this afternoon. Thermodynamics should be on my course later in the year so I shall definitely have a look at that book thanks!

Anything for statics/ solid mechanics / electricity and magnetism / materials / bending and torsion??

Materials - ISBN:9780470505861 - Materials Science and Engineering

Bending and torsion should be part of solid mechanics. I don't have a book for that as lecture notes you take should be enough. Theory is fairly straight forward, applying it just takes practice.

Amazon is quite cheap for books, however, abebooks.co.uk is the cheapest especially if you sign upto topcashback where you'll get 5.15% cashback or quidco who'll give you 8% cashback, but charge you £5 a year to be a member.
Reply 6
The problem with engineering is will you have any time to actually look through the textbooks? I found myself so busy all the time with group work, lectures and example sheets that I found little spare time to read textbooks because I was exhausted and partly lacked motivation as well.

If you ever study aerodynamics, John Anderson's book is the way to go.
Echo the comments about Stroud's books.

Latest

Trending

Trending