The Student Room Group

Carrying out 3rd year Psychology project in a school?

Hey, I'm thinking of ideas for my 3rd year Psychology project and would love to do one involving children in schools. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is allowed? Of course I'd obtain consent from the school and parents first :smile:
Thanks!
Reply 1
You may need what's called "ethics clearence" from the university and you'll need to speak to them about it. It can be difficult to get but it might be possible. What do you hope to research?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
A lot of my fellow students have this type of idea but afaict it's a minefield practically. Afaik the only people who go ahead with it have links to the school they're studying.
You should have a word with your supervisor/potential supervisor before deciding.
You'll have to clear it with the university ethics committee before they let you near children, and there's a high chance you'll be asked to have a CRB check. It's quite hard to get research in school settings approved but it is still possible as long as what you're doing is ethical!
Reply 4
Might depend on the uni but I know loads of people doing this as part of their dissertation.
I have to say it's hard to get into the schools but once contact is made it does make your dissertation more interesting :smile:
Reply 5
Hey thanks for the replies!
All projects have to go through an ethics committee anyway, no matter what they are, so that shouldn't be any extra difficulty :smile:
I'm looking at expanding on Samuel and Bryant's Conservation task, so everything would be simple for the children and not cause any harm etc.
Yeah, I thought I might need a CRB check, I've already had them because I do a lot of volunteering with children and in schools already, so I have experience and links with schools which makes me more hopeful! Although I know i'll probably need to get another check done before I can start another project :smile:
I'll try and get in touch with the project supervisor and get more info, thankyou!
Reply 6
I don't see why you should have any problems with it - I'm carrying out my dissertation in a couple of secondary schools that I had no links to and had no problems sorting it/getting ethics.

Quick Reply

Latest