The Student Room Group

UCL Psychology or LSE Sociology

Which is better/more respected by employers?
Reply 1
Depends what you want to be in the futhure, i would suspect, LSE just about has the better reputation. But then, psychology i would say has a better reputation as a subject. So it's a close call, but i would judge on your career ambition. E.g: if you wanted to become a social worker, than sociology.
Original post by madrid90
Depends what you want to be in the futhure, i would suspect, LSE just about has the better reputation. But then, psychology i would say has a better reputation as a subject. So it's a close call, but i would judge on your career ambition. E.g: if you wanted to become a social worker, than sociology.

I want to work in Human Resources
Reply 3
Original post by snoopyx
I want to work in Human Resources

Choose the subject which you enjoy more, UCL & LSE are both elite, and very prestigious universities, so employers will be very satisified with either.
Reply 4
Both universities about the same (especially for the courses). However, sociology degree in general is deemed less reputable by quite a lot. Both will get you in to human resources so it depends almost entirely on what you want the most / will do best at.
I don't agree. There's a reason why people like Marx changed the way we think about the world. Psychology compliments sociology quite a bit, can you not do a mixed course?
Regarding careers in Human Resources/Recruitment/Head hunting though will a 2.1 in sociology at LSE be good enough?
Well politics/sociology/philoposphy/economics/psychology are all inter-related but they stand on their own two feat. Politics isn't concerned with how we understand societies, although it feeds into it a huge amount, as does economics or even history. I could have decided to study sociology/psychology/politics/economic history as first year choices.

They are both good degrees OP. Just do what your good at though, you can only get a 2.i if your good at your subject and you can only get into those universities if your passionate. So what are you best at: harder sciences or softer sciences: conceptual work or less conceptual conceptual work (such as statistics and neuroscience).
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest