The Student Room Group

scottish & london unis most favoured by the rich

apologies if we've already done it... tried a search.

the telegraph has ranked unis by the percentage of students not claiming maintenance loan.

Universities with the richest students (or parents)

19. Leeds 18%
18. Sheffield 19%
17. Birmingham 19%
16. Durham 23%
15. York 24%
14. Bristol 24%
13. Southampton 27%
12. Oxford 27%
11. Manchester 29%
10. Warwick 32%
9. Nottingham 34%
8. Edinburgh 34%
7. Glasgow 36%
6. Cambridge 36%
5. KCL 42%
4. UCL 49%
3. ICL 51%
2. LSE 52%
1. St Andrews 58%

I'm a bit surprised Newcastle didn't even register given its reputation as a haven for the obnoxious rich...
'Rich', lol.

4/5 of mine are on that list.
Reply 2
Original post by Maddog Jones
'Rich', lol.

4/5 of mine are on that list.

Welcome to my humble thread your royal highness :colondollar:
Original post by Joinedup
Welcome to my humble thread your royal highness :colondollar:

Heheh :P Aberdeen lets me down!
Reply 4
Aren't maintenance loans only available for UK/EU students?
What ho peasants!
the telegraph has ranked unis by the percentage of students not claiming maintenance loan.

Whilst many of the usual suspects are high on the list, I believe that the methodology is flawed. Just because someone does not take out a student loan.

The Scottish universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow are high on that list because it's much more common for Scottish students to stay at home for university, and those staying at home are obviously in less requirement of, say, rent and booze money from mummy and daddy than those living away from home. Edinburgh and Glasgow being the largest cities with the largest surrounding areas will have plenty of local students who still live with their parents.
Original post by Smack
Whilst many of the usual suspects are high on the list, I believe that the methodology is flawed. Just because someone does not take out a student loan.

The Scottish universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow are high on that list because it's much more common for Scottish students to stay at home for university, and those staying at home are obviously in less requirement of, say, rent and booze money from mummy and daddy than those living away from home. Edinburgh and Glasgow being the largest cities with the largest surrounding areas will have plenty of local students who still live with their parents.

Same in a way for the London Unis.

Accommodation in London Unis is so expensive that for many people it simply doesn't cover accommodation costs, even with the larger amount you get as a student in London. So for some it's better to live at home in which case it's not worth getting the loan.

What's more the same Unis will often try and avoid giving accommodation to those who are from London so they have to live at home, again makes it often not worthwhile to get the maintenance loan.

Also, I'm not sure whether those figures are for the whole of the student body or just EU and UK students but itf it factors in Internationals as well then they of course won't get the loan and the London Unis often have large numbers of International students.

I'm also quite surprised by the lack of Exeter featuring there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Historophilia
Same in a way for the London Unis.

Accommodation in London Unis is so expensive that for many people it simply doesn't cover accommodation costs, even with the larger amount you get as a student in London. So for some it's better to live at home in which case it's not worth getting the loan.

What's more the same Unis will often try and avoid giving accommodation to those who are from London so they have to live at home, again makes it often not worthwhile to get the maintenance loan.

Also, I'm not sure whether those figures are for the whole of the student body or just EU and UK students but itf it factors in Internationals as well then they of course won't get the loan and the London Unis often have large numbers of International students.

I'm also quite surprised by the lack of Exeter featuring there.

Yeah I thought it said it'd excluded non Uk students, can't check cos I'm on the mobile and the site doesn't work. Live at home students is interesting though, it's something I'd associated mostly with post 92s. It might be the reason they stopped at the rather odd number of 19.
I don't think it's because Scottish and London students are less likely to take out a loan as they stay in their respective homelands. You might say that a Scottish student is more likely to stay in Scotland, but English students are also likely to stay in England. If they're not, then they're in Scottish universities taking out a loan in which case they'd be counted. Scottish students are also likely to move out of town since, like England, studying in another city requires moving out.

I think it's just that a lot of Scottish and London Universities have great reputations that people might feel will be worth paying money for, very long histories and have always attracted a certain type of Student. Take St. Andrews reputation, for example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
I don't think it's because Scottish and London students are less likely to take out a loan as they stay in their respective homelands. You might say that a Scottish student is more likely to stay in Scotland, but English students are also likely to stay in England. If they're not, then they're in Scottish universities taking out a loan in which case they'd be counted. Scottish students are also likely to move out of town since, like England, studying in another city requires moving out.

I think it's just that a lot of Scottish and London Universities have great reputations that people might feel will be worth paying money for, very long histories and have always attracted a certain type of Student. Take St. Andrews reputation, for example.

I don't it was being suggested that this was because students stayed in the homelands but because more of them lived in the parental home.
Yeah I thought it said it'd excluded non Uk students, can't check cos I'm on the mobile and the site doesn't work. Live at home students is interesting though, it's something I'd associated mostly with post 92s. It might be the reason they stopped at the rather odd number of 19.

I've been trying to work it out but it doesn't appear to say.

Well a lot of my friends at London Unis live at home simply because a lot of the time Universities won't give them accommodation even if they were their firm choice, KCL for one is notorious for this.
Cuz everyone in London is ballin, and Scotland pay no fees init.
Reply 13
maybe because they can afford to live in London or the Scottish tuition fees? >_>
Original post by BoxesAndBangles

No, I'm very certain that the reason Edinburgh and Glasgow are up there is because they attract a large amount of home students due to their large catchment areas.
Original post by TobeTheHero
What ho peasants!
Boris is awesome.
Yay, we finally beat Oxbridge!

Quick Reply

Latest