The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 (cells, exchange and transport) - 11th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
guys if youre doing this paper as a resit here is what I suggest,
be confident in yourself, come on its the easiest unit, but I still had to retake 3 times before I got an A, Im retaking again in case I can catch those extra ums marks.
this is the mindset you need to walk into the hall with:
"this exam guna beee piss easyyy yehh i know it all a-z bring it on aw yeh eff you ocr ill show you"
haha worked for me

also I think there will be marks on that transpiration metre, mitosis and gut feeling is telling me haemoglobin/oxygen
Reply 61
Original post by ManPowa
Predictions anyone. Please. What do You think the big markers will be????

quote me. thanks

Mitosis maybe, for a 5 marker.
Reply 62
Original post by -Haz-

Like what on mitosis describing metaphase e.t.c?
Reply 63
Original post by otrivine
Like what on mitosis describing metaphase e.t.c?

Maybe cell division as a whole. Such as, ‘outline the stages of the cell cycle’
Reply 64
Original post by -Haz-
Maybe cell division as a whole. Such as, ‘outline the stages of the cell cycle’

Do you say
Interphase DNA replication
Mitosis
Cytokinesis
Growth phase

Are these the answers? :smile:
Reply 65
Do you say
Mitosis
Cytokinesis
Growth phase

Yeah I guess, but for a 5 marker you’d have to expand on them. In a question like that I’d probably just briefly describe what happens in interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.
Reply 66
Do you say
Mitosis
Cytokinesis
Growth phase

Ain't Cytokinesis part of mitosis?? :K:
Reply 67
Original post by Amiraa
Ain't Cytokinesis part of mitosis?? :K:

yes it is a part of mitosis because it is where the cytoplasm divides to form 2 new cells
Reply 68
Original post by -Haz-

Maybe, Im thinking the cardiac cycle or carriage of co2.

Can you help me with the spirometer?

Breathing in - chamber sinks down
Breathing out - chamber floats up

That is correct, but is it yourself blowing in to your body or blowing in to the spirometer? If you get that broo.
Reply 69
Original post by ManPowa
Can you help me with the spirometer?

Breathing in - chamber sinks down
Breathing out - chamber floats up

That is correct, but is it yourself blowing in to your body or blowing in to the spirometer? If you get that broo.

When a person breathes in, this takes oxygen from the chamber which makes it sink down. Breathing out pushes air into the chamber which causes the chamber to float up.
So it’s the act of blowing into the spirometer that makes the chamber go up, and then when the person breathes in, the chamber goes down because the oxygen in the chamber is going into the person’s body. Hope I understood your question correctly.
Reply 70
I'm taking this exam :smile:
I've done nearly all the past papers, got A's on all except one, which I scraped an E on... I'm hoping for a decent paper :tongue:
Original post by Alotties
I've done nearly all the past papers, got A's on all except one, which I scraped an E on... I'm hoping for a decent paper :tongue:

Which one did you scrape an E on?
Reply 72
Original post by -Haz-
When a person breathes in, this takes oxygen from the chamber which makes it sink down. Breathing out pushes air into the chamber which causes the chamber to float up.
So it’s the act of blowing into the spirometer that makes the chamber go up, and then when the person breathes in, the chamber goes down because the oxygen in the chamber is going into the person’s body. Hope I understood your question correctly.

perfectly thanks :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Alotties

what paper was that??

And Im predicting a challenging- module 2 dominated paper.. January papers are also harder. That is the trend.
Pretty nervous about this paper. Is anyone revising by the checklist? I'm changing the checklist into questions and then answering them. Is this a good way to revise since OCR have to abide by the checklist?

I need help with the fetal haemaglobin stuff, I'm not sure about how it works and why a fetus needs to have a higher affinity to oxygen than the mother, if that makes sense @_@?

Thanks. ;D
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Pretty nervous about this paper. Is anyone revising by the checklist? I'm changing the checklist into questions and then answering them. Is this a good way to revise since OCR have to abide by the checklist?

I need help with the fetal haemaglobin stuff, I'm not sure about how it works and why a fetus needs to have a higher affinity to oxygen than the mother, if that makes sense @_@?

Thanks. ;D

It needs to have a higher affinity as it's haemoglobin needs to pick up oxygen from low partial pressures of oxygen (as the oxygen may have already been 'used' up by the mother in other parts of the body, so there will be less of it present if that makes sense).

Also there is a low pO2 in the placenta so haemoglobin is more likely to dissociate from the oxygen molecules.
what are they big mark quetions that are most likely to come up in the exam andd does anyone know if the grade boundaries are going to be high or low?? :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by adamshabir01
what are they big mark quetions that are most likely to come up in the exam andd does anyone know if the grade boundaries are going to be high or low?? :smile:

Even the examiners don't know what the grade boundaries are. They get all the papers back and do their calculations and see how the paper went with us, the candidates.

Big markers
Mitosis
Heart
Cardiac cycle
Microscopes (possibly)
Membranes
Transport of water
Transport of assimilates
Blood vessels
Reply 78
Original post by ManPowa
what paper was that??

And Im predicting a challenging- module 2 dominated paper.. January papers are also harder. That is the trend.

Original post by Natalie21
Which one did you scrape an E on?

I think it was the may 2011 one :tongue:
Missed out keys words!
Reply 79
Hey heres the Predictions for F211 January 2012 exam.

1. Cell membrane structure (possibly a diagram)- cell signalling (mitochondria are due)
2. Lung tissues
3. Movement across membranes osmosis is likely
4. Xylem water movement potometer is due
5. Blood vessels- blood -tissue fluid-lymph are all due (heart has appeared 4 out of 6 times)
6. Mitosis linked to stem cells
The above predictions are based on likelihood linked to frequency. Don’t ignore other topics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending