Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi could someone give me some advice on whether to take English Lit or French AS. For people studying these, what are they like ? (Interesting, boring, hard, big workload etc.)

By the way, my other A Levels are Maths, Economics and History, and i plan on studying Economics at uni. Will my choice make any difference to my application/career ? Which is more useful for me ?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    FRENCH ALL THE WAY!!!

no seriously, if you generally enjoy french at the moment, then A-Level is really enriching and you will LOVE it without a doubt!

i don't know for sure, but i would say that a foreign language would be more favourably looked upon for economics than english. you can do option modules in a language when doing economics at uni; maybe that's why.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking both English lit and French at A2 at the moment, so I'll try to answer your questions

English lit: It will depend a lot on the texts you study, so that's something you should find out, but you'll probably have to do poetry, plays (including Shakespeare) and novels. For the most part it's quite interesting. It's pretty similar to GCSE, but obviously in more depth and you'll have to be more analytical. There's a lot of reading and essays involved, but the workload isn't too bad.

French: Most people find the gap from GCSE pretty big because the topics you learn about are much more sophisticated and the listening tapes are much faster, but it's also more interesting because you learn about culture and society and it's very rewarding being able to communicate in a language at a high level. You have to do a lot of reseach for the oral, but workload really depends on how much time you spend doing extra work like reading newspapers/magazines, listening to the radio, watching TV/films etc.

I think either would be fine for what you want to do because you have the essentials (maths and economics) and history is very good in terms of essay writing skills, so you should just pick the one you prefer and feel you'll do better in.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Economics I would suggest French because it'll probably be more useful in the business world...meh what do I know

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying French and English Lit at AS. I'd say that for job prospects, French would be better, plus you could incoroporate it into your degree at uni if you like it enough. Of course, French is generally harder than English, but I find it far more rewarding. It's just so exciting being able to speak another language!

Go for French! :yy:

Jess

ReputationRep:
    hmm id have to disagree...
    i was taking both french and eng lit..and stupidly i dropped eng lit & kept french :mad:
    i reli regret it now as even though i thought french would be so useful in the future & a lot more interesting...its a lot harder! i think taking eng lit would be a more sensible reason as from what i've heard its more highly respected by unis than a foreign language (dnt ask y wen a foreign lang is generally more difficult!) and probably an easier subject to get a good grade in..
    but sayin that if u r extremely passionate about french dnt let this put u off..
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    if you are enjoying or at least liking franch at the moment then i would definately say French all the way

the topics are REALLY interesting and i find them quite fun..
    you learn about the culture and different aspects of the country rather than just the language
    .i dont think there was a huge gap really...you get eased into the course no matter what you do so i wouldnt worry about that.

im doing English lang/lit at the moment so i guess i can kind of comment on that and i found there wasnt that much of a gap between that either. However its not really much different from the gcse course ive found.

i would say either of these subjects would go well but having a language nowadays...especially with buissness is sought after and looks good. But then again i could be quite biased. Just think to urself which you enjoy more and which do you want to continue doing for another 2 years? Anyways i wouldnt sweat too much about it cos if you dont like the course after the 1st 2-4 weeks you can change
    hope this helps and good luck on making ur descision

ReputationRep:
    i do both...and i reli regret taking eng lit and i adore french. it might be something to do with the teachers and texts tho

ReputationRep:
    I did both. I enjoyed English more, but French is amazing too. I would perhaps be slightly tempted to take French were I in your shoes; the world of economics is obviously very internationalist and your analytical and writing skills should be honed by history. Either way you can't lose.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying both English Literature and French at AS and will give you my two cents worth!

English Literature: This course would allow you to build up on the analytical skills that you learnt at GCSE and allows you to go into greater depth with the texts than at GCSE. I am currently studying:

- A modern novel, Spies By Michael Frayn, for a closed-book examination
    - A Shakespeare play, Much Ado About Nothing, for my coursework
    - An anthology of poems by Phillip Larkin with the inclusion of the play, A Woman of No Importance By Oscar Wilde for an open-book examination

As you can see if you took English Literature you would be able to study a variety of texts from different eras, which is just fantastic if you enjoyed doing it at GCSE!

French: This course would allow you to expand your knowledge of the French culture, since you would not only study the French language like at GCSE, but also the culture, traditions and society of the French too. I particularly find that AS French is the most rewarding, since you are given a whole deal of independence to research for your oral topic (which can be about anything, but has to relate to France in some way) which would allow you to strut your French stuff to the examiner! lol With French I am currently studying the following units, which the exam board state could be used for the two exams that I will do in May:

- Unité 1, Les rapports personnels
    - Unité 2, Le monde de loisirs
    - Unité 3, L'enseignement
    - Unité 4, Manger et boire
    - Unité 5, Le monde du sport
    - Unité 6, Les médias
    - Unité 7, Les transports
    - Unité 8, Le monde du travail
    - Unité 9, La France métropolitaine
    - Unité 10, Les vacances!

I hope this has been of some help!

ReputationRep:
    english will really help you with history because you learn to write essays very thoroughly! in fact, english will help you build really good writing skills which will help with every subject. i know for a fact that i wouldn't have got half as far in history as i did last year (AS) without english. i ended up getting 90/90 on the coursework, and was the only person in the class to get an A, and seriously, i think this is because english teaches you to be analytical and how to basically write really good quality essays.

i'd say do english, but that's because i already do history and plan to do english at uni... i'm biased. it's a good course though, the workload isn't too heavy and it gives you a chance to be creative. i think universities really respect english, too, especially if you get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fashiongirly)
    hmm id have to disagree...
    i was taking both french and eng lit..and stupidly i dropped eng lit & kept french :mad:
    i reli regret it now as even though i thought french would be so useful in the future & a lot more interesting...its a lot harder! i think taking eng lit would be a more sensible reason as from what i've heard its more highly respected by unis than a foreign language (dnt ask y wen a foreign lang is generally more difficult!) and probably an easier subject to get a good grade in..
    but sayin that if u r extremely passionate about french dnt let this put u off..
    xxxxx
    Complete balderdash.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think that universities/employers are much more impressed if you study a foreign language. I've applied to study English lit at uni and it's a ridiculously popular and competitive course...there must be so many more people studying English lit at A-level than those studying French. I've spoken to quite a few people who didn't want to study French at A-level because they always found the language too difficult. As a nation we British are poor with foreign languages, so to study one to a high level will gain you an awful lot of respect.

But anyway, don't let that put you off studying English lit. Just study the subject you enjoy the most, seriously, they're both highly respected subjects.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.