Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is -2 bad? I wear glasses, I don't exactly how bad my eyes are, but I'd say pretty bad. I cant see a thing from a certain lenght away, and I mean anything. last time I went to get them checked, I was -2. my question is, is that really bad? :p:

ReputationRep:
    not at all, as far as eye strengths go, thats pretty weak.

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

I'm -3.5 in one eye and -3 in the other.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but are contact lenses measured the same, so if I had -1.75 in contact lenses, would that be the same number for my glasses eyesight measure thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but are contact lenses measured the same, so if I had -1.75 in contact lenses, would that be the same number for my glasses eyesight measure thing?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kobrakai)
    Yep.
    Thanks I never really wore glasses, and went straight into wearing contact lenses, so I didn't know!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I never really wore glasses, and went straight into wearing contact lenses, so I didn't know!
    No probs I need to get new glasses, haven't been to the opticians for like 2 years and the prescreption for my glasses isn't strong enough. So I can't really see much when I'm wearing them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley_2k4)
    is -2 bad? I wear glasses, I don't exactly how bad my eyes are, but I'd say pretty bad. I cant see a thing from a certain lenght away, and I mean anything. last time I went to get them checked, I was -2. my question is, is that really bad? :p:
    It's bad enough for it to be compulsory for you to wear glasses/contacts to drive, but it's not as bad as many people.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, but it depends. I'm about the same as you, and I find if I wear the same strength in contacts as in glasses I can't read close up good enough. So it's sorta where you're happy, which is why you do trials.

ReputationRep:
    I'm -5.50 in my left eye and -3.50 in my right...my eyesight is BAD.

ReputationRep:
    -2 is ok, not very bad at all. Mine are something like 5 in each eye

ReputationRep:
    I have something like -7.5 in one eye and -5.0 in the other... PLUS astigmatism. =|

So nopes, -2 isn't bad, except for the fact that you'll get blurred vision without glasses.

ReputationRep:
    Im -2.25. Yes its the same for glasses and contact lenses genereally speeking. I have a stigmatism so my contact lenses are stronger to compensate for that. I would probably consider anything above -4.00 / -4.50as bad eyesite, but I know alot of people have that and worse. I used to work in an opticians and tried on a pair of -10.00 glasses once!!! Couldnt see a thing!

ReputationRep:
    mine are only -0.75 and yet they are a bitrubbish compared to all my friends who seem to have 20/20 vision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elbow_fan)
    I'm -5.50 in my left eye and -3.50 in my right...my eyesight is BAD.
    Bad? Pfft - I'm -8.5 :p: EDIT: Although not so sure that's a competition I *wanted* to win... ha

ReputationRep:
    I'm -3 in both eyes.
    I guess -2.5 is the stage where you gotta start wearing glasses all the time.
    I don't know, I jumped straight into contact lenses aswel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perdition)
    Bad? Pfft - I'm -8.5 :p: EDIT: Although not so sure that's a competition I *wanted* to win... ha
    Me too. In my left eye, with glasses. So nothing has been won yet... (hooray..)

To the person who asked if contacts and glasses are the same: NO they are not!

Glasses are about 1 higher than contact lenses (cos they are further from your eye - you would say that's not much, but try looking through your glasses holding them in your hands and stretching your arms..).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.