The Student Room Group

Diet: A guide for sports, weightloss and weight gain

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Powerlifter
Diet guidelines

There are generally three diets that I get asked for on here I am attempting to compile some information to allow you to use the basic model below and fit with foods that you like and of course fits your goals.

Broadly summed up the three diets are based around:

Fat Loss/Weight Loss Losing body fat and becoming ‘toned’

Sports performance Faster, stronger, healthier maintenance diets

Mass gain Bulking up, either to be more curvaceous or to become more muscular

I will cover the basic structure of the diets, key elements of planning and what sort of training it supports.
A guide at the end of the summary will include various foods that fall into the groups.

Fat Loss/Weight Loss

Spoiler

· Sports performance

Spoiler

· Weight gain

Spoiler

- Food types

I have mentioned different foods but just to clarify a few things

Spoiler

Feel free to comment, add sections or request further information on sections and I will try to build it (and Mods if I am not here feel free to edit and add bits you find useful)

Could you add a diet plan for someone who is at work for 9-5 for weight loss? (Someone who doesn't have time to eat cooked meals for snacks etc.)

Thanks,

Ben
Original post by Ben_K
Could you add a diet plan for someone who is at work for 9-5 for weight loss? (Someone who doesn't have time to eat cooked meals for snacks etc.)

Thanks,

Ben

Cook the night before, allow to cool, put it in a container and take it to work for lunch the next day to reheat in the microwave. What workplace doesn't have a microwave these days :wink:
Skinny people that say they eat a lot mean, they snack all day on crisps and cakes. The only proper meal they ever eat is dinner. You're never gonna put on weight if you don't get at least 4 proper meals in a day, I used to be skinny but since I started mass training a year ago I realised just how empty my diet actually was.
Reply 123
Original post by WoodyMKC
Cook the night before, allow to cool, put it in a container and take it to work for lunch the next day to reheat in the microwave. What workplace doesn't have a microwave these days :wink:

Is there an alternative to cook foods for lunch though? A sandwich? But surely i'd want to cut my carbs, what do you think?

Edit: And I don't eat any crisps, chocolate etc. As they aren't nice haha. I eat fruit and veg quite regularly.
Original post by Ben_K
Is there an alternative to cook foods for lunch though? A sandwich? But surely i'd want to cut my carbs, what do you think?

Edit: And I don't eat any crisps, chocolate etc. As they aren't nice haha. I eat fruit and veg quite regularly.

I have no idea what your goals are so I can't really say. If you're looking to gain weight, you definitely don't wanna cut carbs and you don't even want to cut fat out completely. Your carb:tongue:rotein:fat ratio should be about 50:35:15. That's assuming you're looking to gain obviously. Even if you're looking to lose weight though, cutting out carbs is a common mistake.
Reply 125
Original post by WoodyMKC
I have no idea what your goals are so I can't really say. If you're looking to gain weight, you definitely don't wanna cut carbs and you don't even want to cut fat out completely. Your carb:tongue:rotein:fat ratio should be about 50:35:15. That's assuming you're looking to gain obviously. Even if you're looking to lose weight though, cutting out carbs is a common mistake.

Looking to lose, and yeah not completely. I'd like to lower my intake though of carbs. I'll have a look at oatcakes. Also if you haven't yet - Make a plum tomato (about 3 small ones) and apple sauce sandwich - IT'S AMAZING!! :biggrin:
Original post by Ben_K
Looking to lose, and yeah not completely. I'd like to lower my intake though of carbs. I'll have a look at oatcakes. Also if you haven't yet - Make a plum tomato (about 3 small ones) and apple sauce sandwich - IT'S AMAZING!! :biggrin:

In that case then the protein:carbs:fat ratios should be more like 50:35:15. Obviously those are just guidelines, but give you an idea of how to balance things. Limiting your calorie intake should be your main concern. Nothing too drastic obviously, but around 2000 calories per day for men is ideal in most cases. Maybe a bit more if you're also trying to maintain muscle mass, but if not then dropping to a bit less than 2000 might work well.
Hi;

This is my current diet, and I really want to bulk up...any recommended changes?

Breakfast: Porridge (every morning without fail) , orange juice and a cup of tea.

Lunch: sandwhich (normally salad and ham), banana, apple, chocolate bar, cake/flapjack, yoghurt.

Dinner: generic meals, always have protein, carbs and a decent amount of fruit/veg

I drink about 3 litres of water a day.

I really want to BULK UP, any help would be appreciated!
I'm 16 and at the moment I'm eating around 900-1300 calories a day is this enough? I don't feel hungry even after exercising? I'm aiming to lose weight over summer and wondered what would be the best way to do this as at the moment my weight is exactly the same as it's been for 2 months and I'd really like to lose a couple of pounds and tone up a bit? Any suggestions?
Reply 129
Original post by amelimoo
I'm 16 and at the moment I'm eating around 900-1300 calories a day is this enough? I don't feel hungry even after exercising? I'm aiming to lose weight over summer and wondered what would be the best way to do this as at the moment my weight is exactly the same as it's been for 2 months and I'd really like to lose a couple of pounds and tone up a bit? Any suggestions?

Very possibly not, that's pretty low. Weight, height, sex, typical exercise and specific goal?
Original post by BKS
Very possibly not, that's pretty low. Weight, height, sex, typical exercise and specific goal?

Im 8 and a half stone so 54kg and I'm 5'6 female and I don't exercise that much just walking the dogs and going for a 2 mile run or 3 hour walk on Sundays, my specific goal is 51kg, (8 stone)
Reply 131
Original post by amelimoo
Im 8 and a half stone so 54kg and I'm 5'6 female and I don't exercise that much just walking the dogs and going for a 2 mile run or 3 hour walk on Sundays, my specific goal is 51kg, (8 stone)

54kg at 5ft6 is entirely healthy, 51kg would be slightly underweight/getting skinny. Have you considered that the reason you don't have the body you want is you don't have enough muscle? What most people think of as toned is a decent bit muscle and a bit below average body fat. For the vast majority of women (who are not fat) aiming for toned the problem is the lack of muscle and if your exercise is walking and running then you won't have much.

If you must loose weight then you really should be able to do it on more calories (more the 1100-1300 side of things at least), you're not that small and (assuming your dog walks are a decent length) not that sedentary. It's unhealthy to be on less because you aren't getting good nutrition so going lower to get more weight off isn't a good plan.

There's a lot of different reasons why you can stall. If you've lost weight to quickly then your metabolism can get a bit messed up- eat 2000kcal for a week, drop to 1600 the next then 12000 the next. When you first loose weight it comes off faster because you loose water weight so it's normal for it to slow after a few weeks. The smaller you get then the lower your maintenance calories get so the less you need to eat to be loosing weight. In this case you want to exercise more to burn more rather than eat less.
Original post by Powerlifter
Diet guidelines

There are generally three diets that I get asked for on here I am attempting to compile some information to allow you to use the basic model below and fit with foods that you like and of course fits your goals.

Broadly summed up the three diets are based around:

Fat Loss/Weight Loss Losing body fat and becoming ‘toned’

Sports performance Faster, stronger, healthier maintenance diets

Mass gain Bulking up, either to be more curvaceous or to become more muscular

I will cover the basic structure of the diets, key elements of planning and what sort of training it supports.
A guide at the end of the summary will include various foods that fall into the groups.

Fat Loss/Weight Loss

Spoiler

· Sports performance

Spoiler

· Weight gain

Spoiler

- Food types

I have mentioned different foods but just to clarify a few things

Spoiler

Feel free to comment, add sections or request further information on sections and I will try to build it (and Mods if I am not here feel free to edit and add bits you find useful)

In response to you saying in the weight loss section that its good to have more veg rather than salads because of higher fibre etc- would you class things like mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic as vegetables? If so- would it be better if I incorporated more of those into my lunches rather than salad ingredients? Thanks :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by Emily.97
In response to you saying in the weight loss section that its good to have more veg rather than salads because of higher fibre etc- would you class things like mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic as vegetables? If so- would it be better if I incorporated more of those into my lunches rather than salad ingredients? Thanks :smile:
He doesn't post much any more so don't think you'll get a reply

IMO: he said green veg not salad so no mushrooms are not a green veg. The purpose is max nutrition from the carbs eaten. Personally I don't think many folk need to worry about that, eat veg that you like, makes you full and just make sure you vary it. It's a minor point to get too caught up on
Original post by BKS
He doesn't post much any more so don't think you'll get a reply

IMO: he said green veg not salad so no mushrooms are not a green veg. The purpose is max nutrition from the carbs eaten. Personally I don't think many folk need to worry about that, eat veg that you like, makes you full and just make sure you vary it. It's a minor point to get too caught up on

I know, but I just wanted to get an idea of what is vegetables, rather than just green veg.

Okay, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest