Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I have applied to my unis ( see thread) and have got the replies I really wanted. I've lost all hope of being accepted by UCL and I am now just waiting patiently for them to confirm my fears.
    Anyway, I am deffinetly putting Cardiff as my firm and do not know whether to have Loughborough or Aston as my insurance. I have visited them both and am sick to death reading the Times guide to University.

Aston

pros:
    The course includes a year abroad getting life experience
    Really close to city centre- great nightlife- fantastic shops
    Good graduate employment rate
    Birmingham - huge student city
    Love the campus

Cons:
    Really small 6,000- undergrads
    Crap accommadation
    reputation? I know its pretty good- but what about comparitively?

Loughborough

Pros:
    Female: male ratio
    I love sports
    Love the whole campus feel
    Halls of residence - absolutely georgous

Cons:
    Small town? small town mentality?
    Leaning more towards politics than International Relations now
    Teaching- not rated excellent- slightly picky?

Any help will be great
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Another pro for aston: I am going

ReputationRep:
    I too am in a similar situation...but as a Firm...and for Management...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgeerthan)
    I too am in a similar situation...but as a Firm...and for Management...
    If you are deciding between Aston or Loughborough for Management, Aston all the way without a shadow of a doubt. Post it in the Management section, you will get the same responses trust me. Not saying loughborough isnt giood though, it is, Aston just better

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I would say Aston for anything remotely businessy. I don't know about the politics departments though!!
    Help

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't loughborough have a better overall rep?

Aston has a great business school, but the ratings for its other subjects aren't as good, as far as I know anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Aston, i didn't like Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    I am so stuck between these unis. Which one would you pick?

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to keep my thread alive!

ReputationRep:
    oh my god go to Loughnorough! It is now rated something like 10 or 11 and is a fantastic uni. If you love sport then Loughborough should be your choice without a doubt! I have been lots of times and it is really good. The campus is really nice (not as nice as Nottingham's though!) and the people are cool. Ok actually just realised I've never been to Aston!

ReputationRep:
    NO go aston!!! small uni is not a con, i dont think thats a bad point at all.. its nice to walk to lectures and often see someone you recognise or know to wave at, it has a great community and friendly atmosphere. the halls arent that bad either :P
    its a very friendly uni and good rep, it doesnt get promoted enough.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough might be rated 10th or 11th - but it hasn't really got a "reputation".

Aston does.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice. i'm doing a little research now on how easy it will be for me to get private accommadation. I'm just going to have to visit the uni's again and go with my gut feeling.
    The opinion is so split- :confused: guess they are closely matched

However Aston are offering a year abroad as part of the degree and they are asking for 200pts from 2 A-levels. Whilst Loughborough want 300pts from 3 A-levels.
    Futhermore, i do not want to study International Relations on its own as a degree, I would prefer to do the Politics with a minor course. How easy would it be for me to change?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.