The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
What do you have to do for the experiment? Where are you gonna study Psychology? Did you take the Social Sciences pathway and what was the course like?

We have been looking at key studies in psychology, so the experiment has to be linked in with one, I am linking mine to Asch's conformity. I have to set up a detailed outline of my experiment, so my tutor can ok it, but I plan to test how people deal with outside influences in exam conditions, so plan on holding 3 variants, 1 control, then 2nd with a reduction in time to complete exam and third with external noise. Still planning it, so very early stages.

I am going to Royal Holloway, and can't wait, I have met my offer so now just having to complete the access course :0) Where are you looking to go?

Mine isn't a social sciences access course, I am doing History, Health and Social Care and psychology as my level 3 subjects. I have absolutely loved the course, it really is what you make of it, and having had a 20 year break from study it has been a steep learning curve, it is intense and at times such as now due to everything having to be in for the beginning of June there is a lot of stress, but the support from fellow students and tutors is great. I will be really sorry to leave the course in June.

Good luck with your course, does it start in September?
Original post by Soule
We have been looking at key studies in psychology, so the experiment has to be linked in with one, I am linking mine to Asch's conformity. I have to set up a detailed outline of my experiment, so my tutor can ok it, but I plan to test how people deal with outside influences in exam conditions, so plan on holding 3 variants, 1 control, then 2nd with a reduction in time to complete exam and third with external noise. Still planning it, so very early stages.

I am going to Royal Holloway, and can't wait, I have met my offer so now just having to complete the access course :0) Where are you looking to go?

Mine isn't a social sciences access course, I am doing History, Health and Social Care and psychology as my level 3 subjects. I have absolutely loved the course, it really is what you make of it, and having had a 20 year break from study it has been a steep learning curve, it is intense and at times such as now due to everything having to be in for the beginning of June there is a lot of stress, but the support from fellow students and tutors is great. I will be really sorry to leave the course in June.

Good luck with your course, does it start in September?

I haven't actually applied yet, but it's what I'm planning to do and yeah it does start in September. My break from studying hasn't been that long (3 years), so it shouldn't be as hard as you found it to get back into the groove of things.

Warwick would be an absolute dream for me to get into, but failing that, Aston as I'm gonna stay local.
Reply 222
For those that are concerned about not hearing anything back, ring up your College. I waited weeks and weeks for my interview letter, but I rang up College and spoke to the course leader and he put my mind at rest. The letter finally came of course. :smile:

I went for my interview on the 19th, and the interviewer was silently reading the Questionnaire I had filled in on the day of my Maths and English Assesment. The Questions just consisted of why I'm applying, what I'd like to study at University etc. As he was reading the answers, he was nodding his head whilst saying 'good'. He then offered me a place on the course. :biggrin: He was a friendly fella with a big mole, but I resisted to stare. :cool:

I'm applying for Psychology, but he told me about the 3 subjects you can choose and suggested Law and Sociology as my two other subjects. I then asked if I could swap Sociology for Biology and he said if it fits within the timetable then sure. I enrol in August and I'll be sorting out my timetable then, so I'll confirm then what I'll actually be studying. :biggrin:

I'll also be studying GCSE Maths and English alongside which he said is included in the Access Course.

I can't wait until August now, and it's the same month I celebrate my 22nd Birthday so bring it on! :biggrin:
Original post by itskimmy
For those that are concerned about not hearing anything back, ring up your College. I waited weeks and weeks for my interview letter, but I rang up College and spoke to the course leader and he put my mind at rest. The letter finally came of course. :smile:

I went for my interview on the 19th, and the interviewer was silently reading the Questionnaire I had filled in on the day of my Maths and English Assesment. The Questions just consisted of why I'm applying, what I'd like to study at University etc. As he was reading the answers, he was nodding his head whilst saying 'good'. He then offered me a place on the course. :biggrin: He was a friendly fella with a big mole, but I resisted to stare. :cool:

I'm applying for Psychology, but he told me about the 3 subjects you can choose and suggested Law and Sociology as my two other subjects. I then asked if I could swap Sociology for Biology and he said if it fits within the timetable then sure. I enrol in August and I'll be sorting out my timetable then, so I'll confirm then what I'll actually be studying. :biggrin:

I'll also be studying GCSE Maths and English alongside which he said is included in the Access Course.

I can't wait until August now, and it's the same month I celebrate my 22nd Birthday so bring it on! :biggrin:

The same happened to me. I applied and it took ages for the College to get back to me. They invited me for the interview by e-mail, so it was really informal. The interview itself was more of a chat and the tests were quite easy in my opinion. And we were told we could take as many time as we needed. :biggrin:

I started in Jan, so I am in my fourth month of Access, is amazing how time flies!!!

I have only received two pieces of graded work back so far, but couldn't be more please with my grades, but I am the type that has zero confidence. I used to be very confident back in the day, but nowadays I have no confidence at all.

I am sure you will be fine. :biggrin:

So far I am loving it. :biggrin:
Just enrolled on Access to Teaching alongside GCSE Maths for September start, looking at applying to study Secondary PE at either St Mary's Twickenham,Gloucester or Chichester and i am 26!
Reply 225
Hello, I'm Lee and i'm almost 23. Anyway I've almost completed a BTEC level 1 in ICT and want to join an access to higher education course in IT. I was mis-sold the course i'm currently on (damn career guy talked me into doing level 2 with promises of writing viruses, he lied and I ended up on a level 1) and theres no way i'm going through 3 more years of listening to the 16-18 year olds in my class moan about work.

Moving onto my questions...Is it to late to apply? No one in the class was told when to apply for next year/different course and by reading this thread i'm worried i'm to late.

What level maths will I have to study? I can handle GCSE but A-level would probably kill me...anyone know?

Thanks for any replies. (remember to quote me so I can find your post)
Reply 226
Original post by slylee
Hello, I'm Lee and i'm almost 23. Anyway I've almost completed a BTEC level 1 in ICT and want to join an access to higher education course in IT. I was mis-sold the course i'm currently on (damn career guy talked me into doing level 2 with promises of writing viruses, he lied and I ended up on a level 1) and theres no way i'm going through 3 more years of listening to the 16-18 year olds in my class moan about work.

Moving onto my questions...Is it to late to apply? No one in the class was told when to apply for next year/different course and by reading this thread i'm worried i'm to late.

What level maths will I have to study? I can handle GCSE but A-level would probably kill me...anyone know?

Thanks for any replies. (remember to quote me so I can find your post)

Wouldn't have thought it would be too late, on my Access course there were a couple of people who applied the week before the course started and got on to it. I would imagine the sooner you apply the better chance you have though.
I have just received an offer from Derby university for their access course starting in September. I'm quite nervous but very excited at the same time.

Good luck to all of you waiting to hear, I've enjoyed reading your stories and look forward to following you in the coming year.
Reply 228
Hey everyone,

Had my interview yesterday at Birmingham and was offered a place on the Access to health sciences course :smile::smile::smile:

I'm so happy and excited now bt a bit nervous too.

So its finally going to be happening, I'm going to be a student in September

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooo :-)
Original post by richie82
Hey everyone,

Had my interview yesterday at Birmingham and was offered a place on the Access to health sciences course :smile::smile::smile:

I'm so happy and excited now bt a bit nervous too.

So its finally going to be happening, I'm going to be a student in September

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooo :-)

Is that Birmingham Met? Matthew Boulton? What are you hoping to do at uni? What was asked at the interview?
Finally have a few interviews lined up - woo hoo!
Reply 231
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Is that Birmingham Met? Matthew Boulton? What are you hoping to do at uni? What was asked at the interview?

Yea its at Mathew Bolton site, Im hoping to study paramedic science at Uni in 2013.

The interview was just to go over the results of the initial assessments that we had done about three or four weeks ago and then really to confim that its the right course for you and explain what will be involved on your part.

It was aslo a good place to ask questions that you may have too

Rich
Original post by richie82
Yea its at Mathew Bolton site, Im hoping to study paramedic science at Uni in 2013.

The interview was just to go over the results of the initial assessments that we had done about three or four weeks ago and then really to confim that its the right course for you and explain what will be involved on your part.

It was aslo a good place to ask questions that you may have too

Rich

How long did you have to wait after applying to do your initial assessments and how long did it take for an interview?

Thanks.
Original post by ilovelabradors
The same happened to me. I applied and it took ages for the College to get back to me. They invited me for the interview by e-mail, so it was really informal. The interview itself was more of a chat and the tests were quite easy in my opinion. And we were told we could take as many time as we needed. :biggrin:

I started in Jan, so I am in my fourth month of Access, is amazing how time flies!!!

I have only received two pieces of graded work back so far, but couldn't be more please with my grades, but I am the type that has zero confidence. I used to be very confident back in the day, but nowadays I have no confidence at all.

I am sure you will be fine. :biggrin:

So far I am loving it. :biggrin:

I am glad you still enjoying the access diploma ilovelabradors and are now in the full swing of things.I still busy doing assignments and i wont finish now until June.I have a few assignments left to do at the moment.
I been ill the last few weeks so only now started to do my first assignment after awhile which is another science assignment lol.
Reply 234
Applying to a London college and due to the Olympics, interviews will not start until June/July.
Although I can understand the reasoning, I just really want to get my place confirmed. :tongue:

Ready to start the access course now! Waiting until September is painful.
Reply 235
Original post by petite fille
Is anyone else REALLY nervous about going back to college? I'm only 21 but I still feel that's old, and the thought of going back to college is a little unnerving :frown: - the wait is painful.

I'm 20 and the average age of my adult GCSE class was 40; the oldest being in has late 70s. 21 is very young for an Access student, in some cases the minimum age for Access courses is 21. Majority of your cohorts will have been out of education for quite a long time.

I agree with the painful wait, I hate it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by petite fille
Is anyone else REALLY nervous about going back to college? I'm only 21 but I still feel that's old, and the thought of going back to college is a little unnerving :frown: - the wait is painful.

You will have a strong advantage given your age and the less time out of the education system. For me I had been out of education for 20 years, and on my Access course that is the norm, so we had the battle of not just learning but the challenge of getting back into study. There are a few 21 year olds on our course but they only make up a very small proportion, the majority are mid to late 30s with a few in their 40s.

You will love it.
Hey guys. Im 23 and will be applying for an ACCESS to HE this september. Got my intial assessment on the 17th. Can't wait to be honest. Need to get out of this "phase" I am in looking for minimum paid jobs. Where's everyone studying? I'm applying to a few colleges in the Birmingham area. Anyone got any idea what they want to study in university?

Jiraya.
Reply 238
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Hey guys. Im 23 and will be applying for an ACCESS to HE this september. Got my intial assessment on the 17th. Can't wait to be honest. Need to get out of this "phase" I am in looking for minimum paid jobs. Where's everyone studying? I'm applying to a few colleges in the Birmingham area. Anyone got any idea what they want to study in university?

Jiraya.

Hi, what access course you taking?

My plan is hopefully to do physics. I am torn over what of physics course to do, I've been considering doing a more applied one like engineering. Not too concerned though, I know what type of course I am doing, it is just the details I have got to focus on now.

Have they asked you to revise on anything for that assessment? Or is it just a English and Mathematics test?
Reply 239
Hello!

First time poster long time reader...

Does anyone out there happen to have studied, or are maybe about to study, the Access Health and Science course at either Morley College or South Thames in London?

Any feedback about the courses would be great!

cheers!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending