The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
Does anyone know how the timetable and course selection work? For example, if everyone has the same timetable, but get split up into different rooms or if you can choose when to take your course from a range of options?
If I have a friend studying the same subjects with me at uni, what are the odds of us sharing all/most of our classes?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Before you start uni, you will choose your timetable. Lectures have a specific time slot which cannot be changed so everyone on the court will attuned these. Some subjects have two times for lectures if there is a lot of people taking the subject. Tutorials you will choose what times you want, so you will be able to be with your friend, depending on spaces.

Original post by Mirai609
Hi!
Does anyone know how the timetable and course selection work? For example, if everyone has the same timetable, but get split up into different rooms or if you can choose when to take your course from a range of options?
If I have a friend studying the same subjects with me at uni, what are the odds of us sharing all/most of our classes?
Original post by 123student1236
Before you start uni, you will choose your timetable. Lectures have a specific time slot which cannot be changed so everyone on the court will attuned these. Some subjects have two times for lectures if there is a lot of people taking the subject. Tutorials you will choose what times you want, so you will be able to be with your friend, depending on spaces.

Thank you!!
Original post by 123student1236

Any offers given to Aeronautical engineering applicants ?
Hey there! I was wondering if a lot of students are 16 or 17 at the University of Glasgow. I'm going to start the application process this year and since I'm not going to be doing S6, I will be 16 when I start uni (I will turn 17 in like a month though). Are younger students pretty rare at this uni???
Original post by anisha211
Hey there! I was wondering if a lot of students are 16 or 17 at the University of Glasgow. I'm going to start the application process this year and since I'm not going to be doing S6, I will be 16 when I start uni (I will turn 17 in like a month though). Are younger students pretty rare at this uni???

A lot of people will be under 18 when they start uni, I wouldn't say they're rare at all.
I will be 17 when I start. Anyone have advice on Computer Science course? Can't decide between Glasgow/ Strathclyde
Original post by Anonymous
I will be 17 when I start. Anyone have advice on Computer Science course? Can't decide between Glasgow/ Strathclyde

I had offers for 5 comp sci courses, including glasgow and strathclyde, and just finished first year at Edinburgh university. Personally I put strathclyde as my second choice, despite my offers from glasgow and st. andrews arguably offering better courses. For me choosing strathclyde was more about a like of the university rather than the degree offered. Strathclyde is in the very centre of glasgow, and all the student halls directly adjoined to the university, whereas glasgow is quite out of the way, and the student catered halls were very far from the university itself. Strathclyde seemed much more modern with lots of new buildings, but glasgow university is probably the more prestigious of the two. In terms of difficulty they are likely pretty similar.
A lot of people will be under 18 when they start uni, I wouldn't say they're rare at all.

thanks! has anyone done/is doing aeronautical engineering? what are the lectures and professors like? is it a good degree to study for?
Original post by anisha211
thanks! has anyone done/is doing aeronautical engineering? what are the lectures and professors like? is it a good degree to study for?

I talked with a few people studying aeronautical eng on a group chat. I'm going to be studying electronics&electrical eng, and because the engineering degrees share a lot of courses we might still run into each other! Don't know how to answer the rest of the questions tho..
I talked with a few people studying aeronautical eng on a group chat. I'm going to be studying electronics&electrical eng, and because the engineering degrees share a lot of courses we might still run into each other! Don't know how to answer the rest of the questions tho..

wait are u going to be applying for next year??? that's great!!! thats fine if you dont know all the answers to my questions I wouldn't expect you too ahah
Original post by gawndaft98
Hello and welcome to the Ask a Glasgow Student thread. :biggrin:

Many thanks to @University of Glasgow for starting this thread originally. :smile:

I'm gawndaft98, feel free to ask me anything about the university or applying there. :woo:

If you have any questions about Medicine applications, feel free to chat to recent medicine offer holder @Aislynnnn too. :yep:

Tag one of us in this thread and we'll be sure to get back to you with an answer to your question(s). :banana:

For a big list of "Ask a Student" threads, click here.

Hi All,

I am Srividya from India. I have an offer for MSC Data Science for september intake 2020.Is there anyone else who holds an offer too.
hi, i’m interested in the portuguese and geography course at glasgow! what’s the structure of the coursr and how many study it? thanks :smile:
Hi, curious to know how Philosophy is at Glasgow as I’m interested in applying this year for 2021 entry :smile:
I know the typical course structure in first year is to study 3 subjects each consisting of 40 credits each. For chemistry in particular, are you given a choice to pick electives outside of sciences? And is it possible to pick electives that are under 40 credits (because you want to study more than 3 subjects lets say)? Thank you
Hello!! I'm so sorry for my absence but I'm Aislyn! I hold a offer for Medicine (MBChB) for the september 2020 intake!! My inbox is always free if you need anything!

《About Me》
> Aislyn
> 18
> International Student
Reply 676
Hey. Was the "plan your journey" page on the uni's website removed? I'm pretty certain I could still access it yesterday.
Hi, you design your course structure yourself at Glasgow. You take 3 level 1 subjects in first year, followed by two level 2 subjects and an additional level 1 subject in second year. If you are admitted to Portuguese and Geography, you will take these two subjects in first year, along with another first year subject of your choosing. In second year, you will carry on with Portuguese and Geography and take these subjects alongside a new level 1 subject. In third and fourth year, you will carry on with both P&G as long as you get the required grades for 'honours level' entry and usually these two subjects will be weighted equally. You can decide which subject you want to carry out your dissertation in when you enrol for fourth year, so you don't need to worry about this until you're 3 years in. Both courses will probably be large as GU is a big university, but intake varies each year and many student decide to change their main degree subject (or subjects) after first or second year so there's really no way of knowing!

Original post by azby1098
hi, i’m interested in the portuguese and geography course at glasgow! what’s the structure of the coursr and how many study it? thanks :smile:
Hi, I was wondering what the lgbtq+ presence was like in Glasgow? Cause all unis say they have it but I’d like to hear from an actual students experience?
Glasgow has a very good LGBT scene!! Lots of gay bars etc.. in merchant city (just outside the centre and not too far from the university). The university of Glasgow also has an LGBT society. I definitely wouldn’t be worried about exclusion or narrow mindedness here, as a lesbian at Glasgow uni I’ve never experienced any difficulties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending