The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
face05
It's probably too late to bring up an old thread , but if nottingham is regarded that highly in the engineering field why did it appear in clearing?

Well, clearly its just over shadowed by neighboroughing loughborough!!
Reply 61
Clearing in engineering well - Engineering itself isnt an oversubscribed course - It is not exactly the most popular. Even WarWick had clearing in engineering (Not sayin Warwicks engineering is the greatest but Warwick generally it is rare to find clearing for it).
Yes many of these courses end up in clearing. Even mine was in clearing again.
Reply 63
if imperial can have tons of its engineering courses in clearing anyone can :P
Ises
I must say the Cambridge Engineering course seems superior to Oxford's.

I'd say it depends what you are looking for. Personally, I wanna go work in the financial world, but I just love engineering. I love both actually, and an engineering study would actually be very useful in the financial world. Therefore, I want the option of doing EEM, which you dont have in Cambridge. However, I imagine that if you want to be an engineer, do research in it and devote your life to it, Cambridge has probably a more scientific and pure look at it.
Reply 65
monagro
I'd say it depends what you are looking for. Personally, I wanna go work in the financial world, but I just love engineering. I love both actually, and an engineering study would actually be very useful in the financial world. Therefore, I want the option of doing EEM, which you dont have in Cambridge. However, I imagine that if you want to be an engineer, do research in it and devote your life to it, Cambridge has probably a more scientific and pure look at it.

Yeah, so as you say, a rather mangment/finance/thery based oxbridge engineering course would suit you well.
- But thats not to say that a lot of other more engineering engineers wouldnt do better on a course at Manchester, Nottingham, Loughborough, Leeds, Warwick, etc.

Daniel
Indeed, thats exactly what I mean. :biggrin:
Reply 67
What's Nottingham's reputation like?
Reply 68
its good for civil engineering but more for gps and pavement technology than for structures etc
Reply 69
Nottinghams good.
- I put them second out of Liverpool Warwick Manchester Leeds Loughborough and Nottingham. The unis that i looked at and applied to.

Daniel
Reply 70
It just seems like although they're low on the ranking list they're reputation is very good. I'm not sure if I should take the place up. I'm still choosing what field of Engineering I should go into.
Reply 71
Well if you want to add me on msn im happy to talk engineering all weekend.
- Somehow for the first time in 3months ive ended up without anything to do this one weekend, so its forum vegitation on msn all day!

I dont think nottingham ranks that badly tho, i would be supprised if its outside of the top ten for mechcanial engineering, for instance.
- Although i havnt spent much time looking at leguetables/ranking other than when i was actaully choosing my own univertsiy two years ago. And even then with much pinching of salt!

That said, anyone interested in doing engineering could do a lot worse than Mecheng, at loughborough.

Daniel
Reply 72
dhutch
That said, anyone interested in doing engineering could do a lot worse than Mecheng, at loughborough.

Daniel

They certainly could, they couldn't however do a great deal better :p:
Ok, Guys I am currently at collage studying a National Diploma In Engeneering

From what I know, Southamptop university is number 1 currently number 1 in the uk for electrical/electronic engeneering (The Guardian University guide)

Anywayz my question is is there any place where I can find rankings of the WORLDS best Engeneering universities instead of like best universities in general?
hi i was wondering what would be the order of bestness (pardon the made up words) of the following unis for chemical engineering??

sheffield, birmingham, university of edinburgh, heriot-watt (in edinburgh) and loughborough

it has to be those four, as theyre the only ones offering the 'with management' degree i want to take..

also, if anyone cud give me a little overview of what each one is like tht would be really helpful :smile: living in valencia makes it a little difficult to attend all the open days :s-smilie:!

thanks!!
Well, you'll find it difficult to get an offer at Birmingham, then. They don't offer to those that don't go to the interview/open day.
Reply 76
Good bloke
Well, you'll find it difficult to get an offer at Birmingham, then. They don't offer to those that don't go to the interview/open day.

It must depend on your situation. birmingham offered me a place before they invited me to their open day. it depends on the grades you're predicted and where you live.
Yes, I should have qualified my comment. That is the policy of the Birmingham mechanical engineerring department for entry in 2008. It won't be the same for other departments, necessarily, or for previous years.
Reply 78
Or for international students. They will doubtless appreciate the difficulties in getting to an open day.
Reply 79
yee_ha_ladyz
hi i was wondering what would be the order of bestness (pardon the made up words) of the following unis for chemical engineering??

sheffield, birmingham, university of edinburgh, heriot-watt (in edinburgh) and loughborough

it has to be those four, as theyre the only ones offering the 'with management' degree i want to take..

also, if anyone cud give me a little overview of what each one is like tht would be really helpful living in valencia makes it a little difficult to attend all the open days !

thanks!!

I thought Manchester offered 'with Business Management' as part of their Chem Eng? Or do you not want the Business bit either? Manchester is probably better than any of those you've listed (no offence to students/applicants/alumni of the other unis :rolleyes:)

Latest