Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    ^ I know what you mean, but, at least, I have something to show to prove my claims. What about the guy rooting for Imperial??? He does not have any other than his big mouth, anecdotes and lies.

I'm not saying Imperial has lousy academic standards. All I'm saying is that Cambridge has got more academic prestige than Imperial has. You can check the high quality of students attending Cambridge through the Entry Standards points. Imperial may have an excellent academic quality. I don't know, but I suspect it has. But that's not the one I was commenting about. I was talking about academic prestige, and in that area, Cambridge would trump Imperial big time.

Again, if you can get me the data of the enrollment yield for both schools, I’ll explain to you why Cambridge is superior to Imperial in academic prestige.
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/porta...1/20901696.PDF

Something tells me that you know where to find the Cambridge one.

I truly hope you come back with some proper analysis this time and if you do I shall be more than happy to discuss them in a cordial manner.

ReputationRep:
    Peel

How will you mesure ("qualify" on your term) the products?

ReputationRep:
    Peel

How will you mesure ("qualify" on your term) the products?
    (I think I said quantify? But nvm)

I wouldn't know where to start quite frankly. But using this whole idea of 'academic prestige' to definitively say X university is better than Y is wrong because it only tells us which university is held in higher esteem by a said group of people / person. While academic prestige does usually go hand in hand with the top universities, it's not actually a measure of how good they are. For example, I would say that Bristol is probably more prestigous than Imperial, but that doesn't make it better does it? Similarly Oxbridge is far more prestigous than LSE, and yet LSE can very much hold it's own against Oxbridge for certain courses.
    You have to realise that prestige is based on tradition, and that it takes time for universities to gain prestige. It's unfair to compare Oxbridge and Imperial on academic prestige alone because Oxbridge has been in the public's eye for around 700-800 years, while Imperial is relatively new at 100 years. Moreover, being a strictly science university, Imperial will never get the Political expose that say, Oxford or Cambridge might. Being unknown internationally doesn't make a University good or bad.

I won't argue that a good number of the American universities are brilliant, because having relatives over there who have attended some of the institutions you've named, they really are special, but you do need more concrete evidence than something so subjective and meaningless as 'academic prestige'.

PS. Thanks Master Polhem!

ReputationRep:
    ^ If you can prove to me that Bristol has higher entry standards than Imperial has, then I will believe that Bristol is more prestigious than Imperial is. But we all know that such is not that case...that Imperial is generally harder to get into than Bristol.

Between Cambridge and Imperial, however, it's crystal clear that Cambridge is more selective and has a higher yield rate between the two.

You have to realise that prestige is based on tradition, and that it takes time for universities to gain prestige. It's unfair to compare Oxbridge and Imperial on academic prestige alone because Oxbridge has been in the public's eye for around 700-800 years, while Imperial is relatively new at 100 years.
    I don't think prestige is solely influenced by the age of the school. If that's true then we would rank St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow higher than Imperial and LSE.

Academic prestige is often determined by the high entry standards of the school. It may not be a perfect, infallible measure; it is quite reliable nonetheless. Now, if you don’t agree with me, cite to me a famous university – anywhere in the world -- that is not selective in entry standards.

ReputationRep:
    Academic prestige is often determined by the high entry standards of the school. It may not be a perfect, infallible measure; it is quite reliable nonetheless. Now, if you don’t agree with me, cite to me a famous university – anywhere in the world -- that is not selective in entry standards.
    ETH Zurich, their engineering is on par with Imperials so is TU Delft in the Netherlands. I do not expect you to have heard of these though. Not to mention the Grand écoles in France.

As for the rest of you post, most of it is so fundamentally wrong but I have given up now and you wont change, alas one can just pray and hope for better times.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Of course I have heard of them. In fact, I've been to those schools. But I don't think they're easy to get into. They're some of the hardest schools to get into in France.

you're wrong again.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Of course I have heard of them. In fact, I've been to those schools. But I don't think they're easy to get into. They're some of the hardest schools to get into in France.

you're wrong again.
    You just claimed that ETH Zurich and TU Delft were in France...

So you are clearly a liar since you have not been to these schools and you know nothing of them. You have attended them based on the fact that they are in France when they are in fact in Switzerland and the Netherlands respectively.

ETH Zurich is very easy to get into in fact they take everyone who applies but the course is so difficult that most people drop out after the first year. Again stop posting on issues you know nothing at all of.

I beg of you truly stop embarrassing yourself on this thread, really you are hitting a new low every time you post. If your rep. has not diminished by now I certainly is on its good old way.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee has definately got to be in the top 3.....
    5A teaching rating thingy
    Strathclyde is also well renowned for its Engineers...

ReputationRep:
    MP,

Sorry, I meant the Ecole Normale Superieure, PARIS and COLE POLYTECHNIQUE both in France. Been to their campuses and thought they're both great schools. They're quite selective too and they attract some of the best students around the world.

Never been to ETH Zurich and TU Delft, but I've heard of ETH Zurich as a fine school too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 3, 2008

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.