Access to nursing, Distance learning. Watch

hannahlo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I'm Hannah and I am about to start an Access to Nursing via the Distance learning centre.
I am very excited and I can't wait to start. I wondered if any one has any tips for me before I begin.
I have been researching and reading everything about nursing that I can, but if anyone can recommend any good books that you feel are a must then feel free to let me know about them
Also has anyone had any experience with the Distance learning centre? If so how did you get on with the course you took and how did you find the tutor support?

Thank you.
Hannah.
GossipGirl86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I looked into a distance learning course for the access nursing course but all the ones I found were around £700 and I thought forget that! So I've applied to do it part time in my local college one day a week for 6 hours and it'll be around £270!

I just wanted to let you know too that when I was researching the nursing degree at Cardiff uni I looked at the entry requirements and they wouldn't accept anyone who had done access through a distance learning course. I've no idea what other uni's requirements are as I want to go to Cardiff hopefully as I don't live too far from there and I will still be living at home with my partner and son.

So I'd look into this, and especially the uni you want to go to. I don't want to burst your bubble but I thought best to let you know.
hannahlo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks Gossipgirl86,

I made sure that the Uni that I want to go to accepts this course and they actually said if I get a good outcome it would work in my favour as it shows I have determination and self motivation.
But thank you though I was worried to begin with but I triple checked haha.

Hannah. x
GossipGirl86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's fantastic what uni are you hoping to go to? How long do you think it'll take you to do the nursing access on distance learning?

I'm doing an unrelated distance learning course at the moment and I'm really enjoying it, doing it in my own time is great.

I'd love to keep in touch if you like, see how you get on and things?

Lyndsey
mearsp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hannahlo)
Hello,

I'm Hannah and I am about to start an Access to Nursing via the Distance learning centre.
I am very excited and I can't wait to start. I wondered if any one has any tips for me before I begin.
I have been researching and reading everything about nursing that I can, but if anyone can recommend any good books that you feel are a must then feel free to let me know about them
Also has anyone had any experience with the Distance learning centre? If so how did you get on with the course you took and how did you find the tutor support?

Thank you.
Hannah.
Hi Hannah.My name is Paul and I live in London.I have just commenced the Access to Nursing course,tomorrow will be my 2nd week.Not heard of the Distance Learning Centre before but I am in full time employment and have been given 1 day release per week to go to my local college doing 9 hours at college. The course will last for 1 year.Not too sure of the books we will need yet but if you want to keep in touch I can let you know the books I get when I get them.My e-mail is [PM for email address].
arvali
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Hannah, which distance learning centre are you going to do your access course plse am looking for one plse.
(Original post by hannahlo)
Hello,

Thank you.
Hannah.
Pipsqueak :)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Hannah,

I'm nearing the end of my course with DLC for nursing, which modules are you doing and tell you the ones I found useful! Also don't forget to use your library - mines been a lifesaver. But if you are buying check eBay as I got my books which were 30 pounds each for about 3.

Good Luck for the course x

Posted from TSR Mobile
danniwood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Hannah,
I'm currently looking into the access to midwifery course. My work won't allow me the day off to enrol at a local college so this is my next best option.
Good Luck with your course
X
Shellybuz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pipsqueak :))
Hi Hannah,

I'm nearing the end of my course with DLC for nursing, which modules are you doing and tell you the ones I found useful! Also don't forget to use your library - mines been a lifesaver. But if you are buying check eBay as I got my books which were 30 pounds each for about 3.

Good Luck for the course x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently on with the access to nursing via DLC also, just on with HBS 2 human life cycle, how much you got left? Are you moderating in June?? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Shellybuz)
I'm currently on with the access to nursing via DLC also, just on with HBS 2 human life cycle, how much you got left? Are you moderating in June?? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just about to stat HBS2, is that your last module? Yes I am, are you? Did you apply for September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shellybuz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea been for interview just waiting to hear! I've still got a few to do I'm on a tight schedule. Still got adolescence adulthood and old age, stats and psychopathology to do, got a few weeks off now tho so on it full throttle! How much have you got left? I'm panicking that I won't finish in time I'm just hoping I can! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah good luck with your interviews, wow that is quite a work load... I've done stats and psychopathology so if you get stuck just ask I have a few questions from HBS1 then HBS2 to do .. Apparently we have 12 weeks left so should be ok just paid my mod fee good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shellybuz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes you too! Thanks, I'm dreading stats I can imagine its not a nice module?! So I may take you up on that offer!! How did you find those two modules? i find some are more time consuming than others and I'm hoping ill get through them, I know I've got a lot to do but trying very hard to keep my head in the books. Which uni have you applied to? I do hope I finish in time, the pressure is on!!! I need to pay moderation fee today, it's all very exciting!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes you too! Thanks, I'm dreading stats I can imagine its not a nice module?! So I may take you up on that offer!! How did you find those two modules? i find some are more time consuming than others and I'm hoping ill get through them, I know I've got a lot to do but trying very hard to keep my head in the books. Which uni have you applied to? I do hope I finish in time, the pressure is on!!! I need to pay moderation fee today, it's all very exciting!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea definitely I want it to be September already!

I'm sure you'll be fine - I really enjoyed stats and it didn't take too long. I found psychopathology a lot harder to understand but once I did the assignments were simple and quite interesting! Yeah, I'm finding biology a lot harder and time consuming as I finished my psychology modules in November!!! I applied to kings, Middlesex, southbank and Greenwich and got offers from all I have firmed Southbank and insured Middlesex though, what about you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shellybuz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've really enjoyed biology, it's not taken me that long but I have been on a tight deadline! I'm getting the stats password today so will crack on this week, I'm no good at stuff like that tho so I'm not looking forward to it! Hopefully ill get it out of the way sharpish! I've only applied to Cumbria, I have two young boys so with school commitments I can't travel too far! So I'm hoping I get a place but if not will try again next year x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've really enjoyed biology, it's not taken me that long but I have been on a tight deadline! I'm getting the stats password today so will crack on this week, I'm no good at stuff like that tho so I'm not looking forward to it! Hopefully ill get it out of the way sharpish! I've only applied to Cumbria, I have two young boys so with school commitments I can't travel too far! So I'm hoping I get a place but if not will try again next year x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awr, let me know when you hear yeah I had a good book for stats which helped me with all my calculations will try remember the name... Yeah biology used to be my strong point so strange it's taken me so long but I feel where I had so long to finish it I got unmotivated a trundled through and now only jut realised how short amount of time I have!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shellybuz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ha I'm exactly the same!! I think I work better under pressure! I will defo give you a nudge if I get stuck on stats cos I'm useless at that kind of thing, I was hoping to get it out of the way earlier but it hasn't worked out that way! Just uploaded my last bio so if you get stuck too just shout! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ha I'm exactly the same!! I think I work better under pressure! I will defo give you a nudge if I get stuck on stats cos I'm useless at that kind of thing, I was hoping to get it out of the way earlier but it hasn't worked out that way! Just uploaded my last bio so if you get stuck too just shout! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks just ploughing through the defence essay! Massive good luck to you do you have Facebook? May be easier to keep in touch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shellybuz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pipsqueak :))
Thanks just ploughing through the defence essay! Massive good luck to you do you have Facebook? May be easier to keep in touch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do! Search Michelle Burrough, I think there's only a couple, I'm in lancaster! I got distinction for pathogens so if you need any help just ask! I quite enjoyed it its pretty interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophiebroady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone, am currently looking into doing a distance leaning access course! Anyone got any tips? I want to be a mental health nurse so don't no what modules to do! I have called several universities to see if they accept distance learning access diplomas and they do. I am in the armed forces and will be deploying this year so this is my only option. Any advice xxx.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads