The Student Room Group

Nato helicopters kill Pakistan checkpoint soldiers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
Did I mention iran?

reading your comment, I asked if pakistans biggest domestic issue was ethnic clashes/hostilies....

I always thought it was extremist mullahs and their bearded boys.

Hmm tbh i didn't even know what a Mullah was just everyone mentions it on Iran topics oh well i know what it is now after googling.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Yes arguably . It is divided based upon cultural, ethnicity, tribal lines.

Extremist mullahs and bearded boys- lool. It is not the main issue. Their popularity (if there ever was one) is decreasing. They never got into power or have any sort of influence.

Take a trip from Lahore (Pakistan's cultural city) and go to Karachi (Pakistan's financial capital) or Quetta (Pakistan Provincial capital of Balochistan) and it's like a foreign country.

They don't share the same language, culture or anything.

It is trying to get all these different people together.

Take a linguistic stance for example:

Lahore- they speak punjabi. In Karachi they speak Sindhi. In Quetta- they speak Farsi/Pashto.

Put them in a room together- they will never understand each other.

Unless they all speak English...

You can take a person from Karachi/Lahore and stick them in a room with someone from Mumbai or Amritstar (India) and they will understand each other.

Paksitan biggest domestic issues- corruption, corruption, corruption.

no doubt, this is known as a matter of fact, but is it the basis for distubrances in pakistan caused by ethnic clashes/hostilities? The vast majority of pakistanis of different tribes/ethnicities get along (no doubt their are issues over land in certain parts)....

corruption has always been a part of pakistans problems..... nothing new here ..... the new threat is islamic extremism (mostly of the deobandi, salafi, wahabi brand..... these parties don't need to be in power to infuence politics/affairs on matters; just need a few sympathisers in high places and also use their "powers of persusasion" to affect issues (the issue of the blasphemy laws being the most recent case)...

don't know if true, but interesting bit of ....

How Pakistan Got Its Name
The name of the country Pakistan has a fascinating history - it is essentially an acronym!

Prior to 1947, the country now known as Pakistan was a British colony. In 1947 the United Kingdom granted independence to the region under a new name, Pakistan. The name had been developed by a group of students at Cambridge University who issued a pamphlet in 1933 called Now or Never. They came up with the term "Pakistan" as "composed of letters taken from the names of our homelands: that is, Punjab, Afghania [North-West Frontier Province], Kashmir, Iran , Sindh, Tukharistan, Afghanistan, and Balochistan. It means the land of the Paks, the spiritually pure and clean."

Although the suffix "stan" means country in Hindi and Persian, the students were able to fit the names of homelands to make an appropriate country name.
(edited 12 years ago)
no doubt, this is known as a matter of fact, but is it the basis for distubrances in pakistan caused by ethnic clashes/hostilities? The vast majority of pakistanis of different tribes/ethnicities get along (no doubt their are issues over land in certain parts)....

corruption has always been a part of pakistans problems..... nothing new here ..... the new threat is islamic extremism (mostly of the deobandi, salafi, wahabi brand..... these parties don't need to be in power to infuence politics/affairs on matters; just need a few sympathisers in high places and also use their "powers of persusasion" to affect issues (the issue of the blasphemy laws being the most recent case)...

This, as well...
Original post by freedom1
Hmm tbh i didn't even know what a Mullah was just everyone mentions it on Iran topics oh well i know what it is now after googling.

are you a DM reader? :biggrin:
This, as well...

I'm trying to clarify your point about different ethnic groups in pakistan..... are you stating that its a problem... a significant problem for pakistan?
Reply 45
are you a DM reader? :biggrin:

Hell no
Reply 46
1. You question the balance of this relationship- riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? :rolleyes: In Pakistan, cinemas regularly show Hollywood films, Pakistanis wear western clothing- does this mean they are pro American? They speak a similar language to India, share the same cuisines, the same culture- does this mean they are pro- Indian?
It doesn't make sense.
Yes,they are pro-Chinese- what is your point?
Every country has some sort of friendship with China :shock: :shock: What is your point?

2. Left a choice- don't backtrack. Re-read what you typed. You said "religious parties taking over...." essentially in a nutshell. You have no evidence that a religious party will sweep into power in Pakistan.
I made in a tongue-in-cheek comment. That clearly is beyond you.

Wearing a certain type of clothing or sharing the same culture doesn't make you a pro-X ethnicity, I completely agree. But a recent poll has shown Pakistan to be the most pro-China country in the world. I think that is unique. This led me to question the balance of the relationship, which I have already pointed out to you.

''But the question for me is why would they want to ally with China in the first place?'' Post#22
"...can the same be said vice-versa? Does China gain more from this relationship than Pakistan?" Post#29

I said it may come in because the large majority of the population are Muslims, though I'm uncertain.

''either an Islamist party will come in or it'll become a bitch for China'' Post#7
''Whether an Islamist party will come in, I don't know.'' Post#11.

I don't have "evidence that a religious party will sweep into power in Pakistan.''
Why are you so decisive about the future?
Reply 47
ok..... pakistan is hardly chinas bitch.... they've been long time allies and although the pakistani population is the most pro-chinese nation, it doesn't make them their bitch.

I completely understand that. It made me ponder over a few questions, which I have already pointed out to the_Male_Melons.
Original post by Florrick
Wearing a certain type of clothing or sharing the same culture doesn't make you a pro-X ethnicity, I completely agree. But a recent poll has shown Pakistan to be the most pro-China country in the world. I think that is unique. This led me to question the balance of the relationship, which I have already pointed out to you.
''But the question for me is why would they want to ally with China in the first place?'' Post#22
"...can the same be said vice-versa? Does China gain more from this relationship than Pakistan?" Post#29
I said it may come in because the large majority of the population are Muslims, though I'm uncertain.
''either an Islamist party will come in or it'll become a bitch for China'' Post#7
''Whether an Islamist party will come in, I don't know.'' Post#11.
I don't have "evidence that a religious party will sweep into power in Pakistan.''
Why are you so decisive about the future?

1. Right. Now you admit that being Pro China does not equate to being China's bitch.
So what are they Pro-China? What is exactly your point?

2. No way, why would they want to ally with China? Is this a serious question? Every country in the world is an ally to China. Are you stupid? I have to ask this, are you stupid? What a stupid question to ask!

3. You are uncertain that Pakistan is a Muslim country? What? Are you serious?
You comment on the Pakistani Society on tsr and you don't know Pakistan is a Muslim-majority nation? What are you on?

4. Being a Muslim-majority country= electing a religious party. What are you on? . Are you serious?

5."Either an Islamist will come in"- implying that religious parties are popular. When the facts are that Pakistan has never been fond of religious parties.
How do you know an Islamist party will come in?

Serious Question: Can you read? You like to back-track.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
1. Right. Now you admit that being Pro China does not equate to being China's bitch.
So what are they Pro-China? What is exactly your point?

2. No way, why would they want to ally with China? Is this a serious question? Every country in the world is an ally to China. Are you stupid? I have to ask this, are you stupid? What a stupid question to ask!

3. You are uncertain that Pakistan is a Muslim country? What? Are you serious?
You comment on the Pakistani Society on tsr and you don't know Pakistan is a Muslim-majority nation? What are you on?

4. Being a Muslim-majority country= electing a religious party. What are you on? . Are you serious?

5."Either an Islamist will come in"- implying that religious parties are popular. When the facts are that Pakistan has never been fond of religious parties.
How do you know an Islamist party will come in?

Serious Question: Can you read? You like to back-track.

You're throwing a lot of strawman arguments and misconstruing what I said.

I think it's best to leave it here. :hat2:
Original post by Florrick
You're throwing a lot of strawman arguments and misconstruing what I said.

I think it's best to leave it here. :hat2:

1. You make an assumption that Pakistan is China's bitch. You admitted that it isn't later.

2. You then assumed an Islamic party will come in. You later back track that comment.

3. You are then unsure whether Pakistan is a Muslim-majority country?

4. You then go onto think somehow a Muslim majority nation= Islamist party coming in power

I am not misconstruing anything. You don't make sense. You are bit "wu-wu" in the head. You back-track comments, then you go to them, you are confusing.
I just highlighted your nonsense. It is best that you leave.
(edited 12 years ago)
I hope the flow of supplies is cut off permanently and the NATO soldiers and all the so called officials begin to starve to death and have to scavenge off the land to make them finally realise they can't violate our sovereignty without consequence. ****ing Kayani will have to do that now considering Zardari literally loves US cock up his arse 24/7. All the people defending this can go **** themselves, they'd be up in uproar if such a "friendly fire" attack had killed 24 British soldiers- Western hypocrisy at its ****ing best.

Oh and as this was the paramilitary frontier corps with most relatives already poor, anti-American and in the tribal region, I guarantee this would lead to a huge rise in militancy. Pity geniuses like Elipsis are still ****ing blind to this fact.
Gradually cut all relations with the US and move to countries such as Russia, further the relationship with China and Turkey etc. 30,000 civilians dead and 3000 soldiers- these ****ing cowardly Western countries would be begging for mercy if they had suffered the same losses.
Original post by Inzamam99
Gradually cut all relations with the US and move to countries such as Russia, further the relationship with China and Turkey etc. 30,000 civilians dead and 3000 soldiers- these ****ing cowardly Western countries would be begging for mercy if they had suffered the same losses.

Russia with Chechnya, China with the Uyghurs and Turkey with the Kurds etc - doesn't this stuff bother you also? I mean what if Pakistan started 'aiding' the Chechens or became a key place (in the sense that attacks were coordinated from here, insurgens worked and recruied together etc) in Russia's own 'war on terror' - would it bother you equally if Russia did something similar or is it just when cowardly Western nations do it? Not that it's right, it's a terrible incident, just curious.
Original post by thisisnew
Russia with Chechnya, China with the Uyghurs and Turkey with the Kurds etc - doesn't this stuff bother you also? I mean what if Pakistan started 'aiding' the Chechens or became a key place (in the sense that attacks were coordinated from here, insurgens worked and recruied together etc) in Russia's own 'war on terror' - would it bother you equally if Russia did something similar or is it just when cowardly Western nations do it? Not that it's right, it's a terrible incident, just curious.

If you want to be completely honest, no it doesn't bother me but obviously if the Russians attacked Pakistani soldiers my response would be the same. I'am interested only in what's best for the people of my country and that will never ever be the United States which just uses it constantly for short-term gain and bleeds it dry before abandoning it. All nations have their human right problems except a few- me, I'am only interested in those which will further our prosperity.
Reply 55
Original post by Existentialistic
I wonder when NATO will realise that these sort of unprovoked, "mistaken identity" killings are the exact thing that breeds extremism. Every time NATO "accidentally kills" 1 person 10 new insurgents are created.

To be fair if Pakistan didn't have nukes, we'd have already gone in there and smacked them about a bit. Pakistan has been double crossing us for the best part of a decade and it's secret service (ISI) is up to it's neck in creating and maintaining the Taliban.

I highly doubt that this was a mistaken identity thing no matter what NATO says. The Pakistani soldiers were probably involved in helping/associating with Taliban militants; so NATO hit them. There's really not much patience left with Pakistan these days.
Original post by ajp100688
To be fair if Pakistan didn't have nukes, we'd have already gone in there and smacked them about a bit. Pakistan has been double crossing us for the best part of a decade and it's secret service (ISI) is up to it's neck in creating and maintaining the Taliban.

I highly doubt that this was a mistaken identity thing no matter what NATO says. The Pakistani soldiers were probably involved in helping/associating with Taliban militants; so NATO hit them. There's really not much patience left with Pakistan these days.

I always found this absurd reason that somehow Pakistan is helping the taliban somewhat puzzling.

Ever heard of what happened to Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam war? Both Laos and Cambodia got accused of helping Vietnamese "militants"? No evidence. Instead both these countries just got bombed when the US lost the war in Vietnam.

Same thing is happening to Pakistan. If you lose the war, blame the ally (neighbour).

If there was evidence that such a thing was happening, the US would have no hesitation in sending boots on Pakistani soil.

Like I said earlier-

Pakistan is a lapdog locked in a cage, forced to starve, and get abuse. The lapdog accepts it. She is petrified of her owner.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
I always found this absurd reason that somehow Pakistan is helping the taliban somewhat puzzling.

Reminds me Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam war.

If you lose the war, blame the ally (neighbour).

If there was evidence that such a thing was happening, the US would have no hesitation in sending boots on Pakistani soil.

Like I said earlier-

Pakistan is a lapdog locked in a cage, forced to starve, and get abuse. The lapdog accepts it. She fears her owners.

There was a two part documentary on the BBC (was on the iPlayer until a couple of weeks ago) called 'Secret Pakistan' where they basically laid out the list of what Pakistan had been up to and interviewed various political figures. It's not an absurd idea, it's a well enough known issue that the BBC of all things, a station that has long been against the 'War on Terror', comissioned a two hour documentary on it. Furthermore much of the foreign policy/news media have been reporting about what Pakistan has been up to for a couple of years now.

I really don't know how you could have missed it if you follow international relations and if you don't then I have no clue why you're posting here.

Also the Vietcong had bases in those two countries thats why they were bombed. It's classic guerilla warfare to have safe bases to escape to after attacks and unless you deal with those safe bases then you'll never win the war. The Taliban have exactly the same advantage in being able to flee back across the border into Pakistan where generally NATO can't strike, although of course they do in certain instances.
(edited 12 years ago)

No, Pakistan backs its own strategic interests, we really don't give a flying **** what some random country thinks thousands of miles away from us. Incidentally your farcical War on Terror has helped raised terrorism to new heights and led to the loss of over 30,000 of our civilians and thousands of soldiers- funny how you hypocritical Westerners forget this and think that for some reason other interests only exist so you can live through them for your own gain without a care for their welfare.

Double cross? Don't make me laugh, you are most naive person I have come across. Each country backs its own interests and if you want to call that a double cross then be my guest. I strongly support Pakistan's support for the Afghan Taliban - not because I agree with their ideology but rather I don't give a **** if even tens of thousands of your NATO troops are killed if it saves Pakistani lives. I wonder as to what your opinion is about the thousands of militants who cross into Pakistan from Afghanistan.

As to your assumption that the US can smack Pakistan around a bit then no it can't, we have a genuinely strong and well developed military which will make your economies collapse and lead to hundreds of thousands of Western deaths if taken on- and that's without nukes. Fortunately Western nations since WW2 only have the courage to take on BS undeveloped starving countries with no militaries at all like Afghanistan.
There was a two part documentary on the BBC (was on the iPlayer until a couple of weeks ago) called 'Secret Pakistan' where they basically laid out the list of what Pakistan had been up to and interviewed various political figures. It's not an absurd idea, it's a well enough known issue that the BBC of all things, a station that has long been against the 'War on Terror', comissioned a two hour documentary on it. Furthermore much of the foreign policy/news media have been reporting about what Pakistan has been up to for a couple of years now.

I really don't know how you could have missed it if you follow international relations and if you don't then I have no clue why you're posting here.

Also the Vietcong had bases in those two countries thats why they were bombed. It's classic guerilla warfare to have safe bases to escape to after attacks and unless you deal with those safe bases then you'll never win the war. The Taliban have exactly the same advantage in being able to flee back across the border into Pakistan where generally NATO can't strike, although of course they do in certain instances.

haha yes that pathetic documentary- anyone who anything about the topic and that includes a Colonel who's a commanding officer in the British army I have spoken to- agrees that was extremely biased. I love how they interviewed anonymous "mid-level" Taliban commanders (i.e. some random bribed villagers) and you brought into everything that these so called commanders said. I thought the Taliban weren't to be trusted?

The only reason NATO can strike into the Pakistani tribal areas is because we let them. The Pakistani air force can easily shoot down the drones if it so wished.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending