Turn on thread page Beta

Necessary modules for Further Maths A2 watch

ReputationRep:
    I know FP1 - FP3 are required with three applied modules, or FP1 and FP2/FP3 with four applied modules. My question is, can these applied modules be anything? Could they be, say, M1, S1 and D1, or must they be greater than level 1, (e.g. M2, M3 and S2)?

(I realise this has probably been asked before but the 'search' facility doesn't seem to be working and I don't fancy trying to find an appropriate thread manually.)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well in order to do further maths you must also have studied normal maths which means you would have studied C1-4. Adding to that 2 or 3 FP modules you have got 5 modules left. These are the applied modules and you can in that study D1,S1 and M1. However when it comes to the moduyles marks and the certification i beleive if you study S2 that must be placed in the same qualification as S1.

ReputationRep:
    Normal Maths: C1-4 + any of M1M2, S1S2, D1D2, M1S1, D1S1, M1D1.
    Further Maths: FP1 is the only compulsory unit. Have to do either FP2 or FP3 or of course both. The other 3/4 modules can be any that have not been used in your Maths A Level.

ReputationRep:
    You can have *1 units in Further maths. FP1 is compulsory and so is one from (or both) FP2 and FP3. The other three (or four) applied units can be anything. However its recommended that you don't cash in for any qualifications till you've sat all the units so that the units can be arranged in the way that gives you the highest grade possible. This is done automatically for you by the exam board.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I didn't know FP2 AND FP3 didn't have to be taken! So is this a decent combination:

A2 Maths: M1, S1, C1-4
    AS F. Maths: M2, S2, FP1
    A2 F. Maths: FP2, S3, S4

?

If so, I might just take up A2 F. Maths.

Edit: Just found out S4 was deleted along with S5, S6. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    You could do the same combination and do M3 or D1 instead of S4. That would also be acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Its a non-feesable combination due to the lack of s4. Take D1 instead of that. For my A Level I did C1-4 + M1-2. For the Further A Level I am doing FP1-3 and then selecting the highest marks from S1, S2, D1, M3 and M4 (and M5 if I can be bothered)

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on having the following modules:
    A2 Maths: C1-C4, D1, S1
    A2 F Maths: FP1-3, S2, M1-2

Does anyone know if that is ok? The D1 grade was cashed at AS but i have resat the module to increase the grade, so i am guessing that it has to go in my A2 maths not F maths??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Incidentally, I did C1-4, M1 and S1 last year. I have already done FP1, D1 and M2 this year and am taking FP2, FP3 and M3 come June.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.