The Student Room Group

What's the point of drinking? Why do you drink?

After reading the first 2 pages of the How much do you drink on an average night out?? thread I started to wonder what's this passion for binge drinking.

Why do you drink?

OR why do you binge drink?

OR actually why do you want to get drunk?
becomes that's what you try to do, just find the easiest way to pass out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
stops you being shy, imagine going to a party and everybody is shy
fun
Reply 3
It's delicious.
Alcohol, without a doubt, is the cause of so many sins and problems
When I'm out, i don't have the intention do binge drink or pass out. Ill have a couple of pre drinks before i go out.

BUT then when my friends are buying drinks in clubs, i get tempted too.

Then one thing leads to another.... :colone:
Reply 6
To escape from reality and gain confidence which I'd otherwise never be able to conjure up when approaching a girl in a club or bar.
Reply 7
Tastes nice.
Can be fun
Creates good memories
I drink, I get drunk, I go crazy, have fun and all that jazz. It tastes good (the stuff I drink anyway), it makes me feel good and I have a great time wherever I end up. Of course that doesn't mean I can't have fun sober, I like having both kinds of fun.

I don't just binge and find the cheapest way to pass out though. I've done that once and don't intend on doing it again.
The confidence and social aspect, the funny stories the next day, its a good way of making friends.
Reply 10
I don't drink - i think its just a way to destroy yourself ; but have nothing against the sensible ppl who drink moderately!
Reply 11
I'm more of a social drinker really, only been 'proper' drunk about three or four times.
Original post by Calabria
After reading the first 2 pages of the How much do you drink on an average night out?? thread I started to wonder what's this passion for binge drinking.

Why do you drink?

I don't get it either. I'll drink one or two glasses of something with a meal if I like the taste, but drinking to get drunk just seems pointless to me. If you can't have fun without the alcohol, you're probably just not that much fun.
Original post by Calabria

Why do you drink?

i like it.

I very rarely binge drink and i never set out to get falling down drunk as i dont like being that vulnerable.

Getting tipsy/lower inhibitions is fun.
Original post by Ineluctable

as oppose to religion which has never caused conflict and violence amongst people :rolleyes:
It gives me confidence and usually leads to hilarious situations. Getting drunk is a great bonding ritual as well.
Reply 16
I don't drink to get drunk.. not after one time previously *shudder*

I'm a social drinker, if I'm with mates I'll have a couple but at home I don't really drink at all.
I know my limit and when to stop. :smile:
It's fun, sociable, get's you chatting, dancing etc.
Reply 18
Tastes nice, is fun, and is a nice method of escape from whatever's going on in your head. I find that the incessant soundtrack of thoughts (not necessarily negative, just that I seem to have a track running in my subconscious that gives a running commentary on what I'm thinking or doing) I have switches off after a couple of drinks, which is lovely. Plus it's social, it helps you keep going on a night longer, it makes dancing substantially more fun, it makes everything seem funnier, and it's just generally pretty good stuff communally.
Reply 19
Original post by Ineluctable

It's not always the cause, sometimes it just spurs on the problem. But yeah, it's not that great when it's abused, just like anything in excessiveness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending