The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found this on the internet:

"its [Lincoln's] rather dubious honour of being the only college to date to have been banned from appearing on the T.V. quiz University Challenge, due to its irreverent treatment of studio property on a previous appearance"
Reply 2
I just found that too. But it was the only mention... and I'm not too clear on "irreverent treatment". Manhandling Paxman? :p:
I think Manchester got banned for many years because once they answered "Lenin" to every question in protest. I think it was cos Oxbridge could enter so many teams (colleges) can't remember exactly tho. I also heard Teddy Hall got banned (not sure about this one).
I heard that about Teddy Hall too. They're currently recruiting for the next University Challenge team though so if they were banned, they're now unbanned.
Reply 5
2 5 +
I just found that too. But it was the only mention... and I'm not too clear on "irreverent treatment". Manhandling Paxman? :p:

Well i assume it means they damaged/broke some studio equipment through deliberate misuse.
joe_the_smoe
I think Manchester got banned for many years because once they answered "Lenin" to every question in protest. I think it was cos Oxbridge could enter so many teams (colleges) can't remember exactly tho. I also heard Teddy Hall got banned (not sure about this one).

Lenin
No way i'm going on uni challenge, if only for the chance that i'll run into my twin (who has a place at Cambridge)...

Lady Margaret Hall- Nelson
Girton- Nelson
Lady Margaret Hall- Nelson
Girton- Nelson

And so on ad infinitum.....
Reply 8
Ah, I'll have to fill your space in the LMH team (woo!). Something I wouldn't mind doing, but I'm sure I'd make a fool of myself. Oh well...
Reply 9
It shows though...we draw out teams from, on average 400 people, and still win most years (Oxbridge that is...)
Reply 10
2+2=5, do you care to try and overturn our ban, and field a team if/when we actually get to lincoln?
Reply 11
Wadham never do good :frown:
Reply 12
yer exeter don't do well... imagine if there was an 'oxford' team. it'd b some uber team, it'd b scary just how much they'd know between them.
Reply 13
Russell_G
imagine if there was an 'oxford' team. it'd b some uber team, it'd b scary just how much they'd know between them.

How would you pick just one team though? Imagine the competition for those four places - handbags at dawn doesn't begin to cover it! An Oxford Univeristy team - or a Cambridge team, for that matter - would robably get bore, and decide to take over the world instead...
Reply 14
thomasjtl
2+2=5, do you care to try and overturn our ban, and field a team if/when we actually get to lincoln?

When I remember to watch, I get about two questions right per episode. Even this is only because I hedge my bets, and just give the most obvious answer to every question.

What composer...- Mozart?
What river...- Er, the Thames?

And soforth. I'd probably lost more points than I ever gained, sadly.
Reply 15
How would you pick just one team though? Imagine the competition for those four places - handbags at dawn doesn't begin to cover it! An Oxford Univeristy team - or a Cambridge team, for that matter - would robably get bore, and decide to take over the world instead...

true true.. maybe ask them past question until 1 of them finally gets a Q wrong.. on the plus side, if u put them all together paxman could ask a Q that triggers off some thought process that leads to them inventing a cure for cancer and aids all in one pill that costs the same as formal hall. you just never know.. stagner things have happened.. (have they?? :s-smilie:)
Reply 16
how exactly does one get on a ut college team? how does the selection process work .
Reply 17
Okies, official(?) information regarding Lincoln being banned. Yes we were banned for 20years because we apparantely disrupted the set and made some inappropriate answers to some questions. However, we were entitled to enter the competition again from last year :smile:
St Hilda's is recruiting at the moment. They often do quite well, or at least have done in the past few years, so I'll keep watching.
Reply 19
georgecrabbe
I heard that about Teddy Hall too. They're currently recruiting for the next University Challenge team though so if they were banned, they're now unbanned.

yeah we were banned for 10 years until pretty recently (possibly the year before last) for answering 'William of Orange' to every question.
I always thought it was quite funny but it doesn't as seem original now i realise how many colleges appear to have done it...

Latest

Trending

Trending