The Student Room Group

Starting my very first job tomorrow!

OMFG! I was offered this job via phone back on Friday, and the worst thing is the line was really bad and I didn't ask any questions.

I roughly know it's a retail job (for a toy store) but can't remember the job title!!! I don't know if it's full-time or part-time. Job centre said they'll post a p45 slip to me in two weeks time. Do my employer need this on day 1?

What's the standard greeting I should use for customers? Something like "Good morning. How may I help?" If I run out of things to do what should I do not to appear lazy? I was told I start at 9am so do I arrive at 9am, several minutes early, ten minutes early? What happens when I need to use the toilet and all other staff members are no where to be seen? I've been told I look like a paedo when I smile so I tend not to smile. Should I risk scaring off customers by smiling? Already went through the braces process so that won't help in the long-term and certainly can't help on time tomorrow. What colour of shirt should I be wearing? I was told to wear black trousers and a shirt but they didn't say what colour of shirt. I have a dark blue shirt and a black shirt with stripy red. I was told to wear shoes but won't I get foot cramp standing in shoes for long hours?

Any tips on how not to get sacked on day 1?
Original post by keliouster

Pay attention when you get told important details about your job. Like whether its full time or part time... :confused:
Reply 2
OMFG! I was offered this job via phone back on Friday, and the worst thing is the line was really bad and I didn't ask any questions.

I roughly know it's a retail job (for a toy store) but can't remember the job title!!! I don't know if it's full-time or part-time. Job centre said they'll post a p45 slip to me in two weeks time. Do my employer need this on day 1?

What's the standard greeting I should use for customers? Something like "Good morning. How may I help?" If I run out of things to do what should I do not to appear lazy? I was told I start at 9am so do I arrive at 9am, several minutes early, ten minutes early? What happens when I need to use the toilet and all other staff members are no where to be seen? I've been told I look like a paedo when I smile so I tend not to smile. Should I risk scaring off customers by smiling? Already went through the braces process so that won't help in the long-term and certainly can't help on time tomorrow. What colour of shirt should I be wearing? I was told to wear black trousers and a shirt but they didn't say what colour of shirt. I have a dark blue shirt and a black shirt with stripy red. I was told to wear shoes but won't I get foot cramp standing in shoes for long hours?

Yeh. Don't ask loads of stupid questions like you did in this post.
Reply 3

As your alternative is wearing no shoes I'm sure you can see yourself which is the better, sensible option?
Ok first of all calm down! You'll be fine.

If you dont have your p45 you cant give it to them, just say you are waiting for it from the job centre, you cant do more than that.

Yeah Good morning how can i help is good, or hello how can i help in the afternoon. Arrive about 10 minutes early to make a good impression and so someone isnt waiting for you as they will be waiting from before the alloted time.

You shouldnt run out things to do in a toy store in the run up to christmas as its likely to be rammed which is why you are there, if you do tidy shelves, sweep up or anything else that others do or you are told to do.

In retail you cant just use the toilet whenever you want! You cant usually go in work time, you can only go in breaks so just wait until your breaks. You can always arrive a bit early in the am so you can go before you start work then you should be fine until lunchtime or your first break.

You should smile, i doubt you look like a peado, just a quick smile when greeting the customer and when saying goodbye is all thats needed.

Either shirt will be fine i would think, pick the one that fits best and looks smartest. You absolutely must must must must wear shoes. Tough if you get cramp thats just one of those things working in retail, your feet will absoltely kill you most days when you finish but thats jsut part of the job. What else would you wear anyway? You certainly cannot wear trainers or converse or anything like that.

Overall jsut try and be nice and helpful. Dont moan about anything at all and do everything you are asked to do however daft it seems. Remember in a job you arent equal you have to do whatever your boss says even if they are an idiot.
Good Luck!
Reply 5
good luck.
Original post by aliasunknown

Original post by aliasunknown
Ok first of all calm down! You'll be fine.

If you dont have your p45 you cant give it to them, just say you are waiting for it from the job centre, you cant do more than that.

Yeah Good morning how can i help is good, or hello how can i help in the afternoon. Arrive about 10 minutes early to make a good impression and so someone isnt waiting for you as they will be waiting from before the alloted time.

You shouldnt run out things to do in a toy store in the run up to christmas as its likely to be rammed which is why you are there, if you do tidy shelves, sweep up or anything else that others do or you are told to do.

In retail you cant just use the toilet whenever you want! You cant usually go in work time, you can only go in breaks so just wait until your breaks. You can always arrive a bit early in the am so you can go before you start work then you should be fine until lunchtime or your first break.

You should smile, i doubt you look like a peado, just a quick smile when greeting the customer and when saying goodbye is all thats needed.

Either shirt will be fine i would think, pick the one that fits best and looks smartest. You absolutely must must must must wear shoes. Tough if you get cramp thats just one of those things working in retail, your feet will absoltely kill you most days when you finish but thats jsut part of the job. What else would you wear anyway? You certainly cannot wear trainers or converse or anything like that.

Overall jsut try and be nice and helpful. Dont moan about anything at all and do everything you are asked to do however daft it seems. Remember in a job you arent equal you have to do whatever your boss says even if they are an idiot.
Good Luck!

This. trainers look stupid
Reply 7
I WANT A JOB.

I could have done yours..
Reply 8

THey will usually explain most of your questions during induction, relax stacey soloman
Reply 9
**** jobs.
Job = money = stuff = non boredom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending